Steve Norman Guest

Default Use of PCMS in attic insulation

I have encountered a few customers that want to know about PCM insulation that can be used in attics and walls. I located one manufacturer that makes a PCM material that is in the form of a continous sheet filled with pockets of PCM. The sheet fits between the studs and compliments the regular insulation. It absorbes heat and prevents it from entering the living space. At night it releases the heat to the outside reducing the cooling load.

Question: Are there any reasons this might not pass inspection?
    Are there any rules governing the use of PCMS?
    Can they qualify for refunds or tax incentives?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: Use of PCMS in attic insulation

chris mcintyre Guest

Steve,
    Thanks for bringing it up, I had not heard of this before. I called an insulation contractor who has heard of it, has never installed any and said he does not have a source to get it from.

I called a local building inspector that had no idea what I was talking about. He said there are a lot of new products people were trying, and that they have to submit manufacture information and specs, have it reviewed and approved at the monthly meeting, and installed per manufactures installation instructions before it would pass.

I personally try and stay away from new products and let others be the guinea pigs (eifs, expanding foam around windows, etc..) Also one resource from 2007 said...

During 2007 three types
    of inorganic PCM
    packaging methods
    were tested in field
    conditions. All three
    types of PCM pouches,

were leaking

I seem to recall reading about a paint that would do this and I think that a drywall manufacturer was also producing a drywall product with PCMS characteristics.

That is about all I know.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Steve Norman Guest

Thanks guys this is all new but sounds interesting. Dr Eiesenburg of the NAHB will be presenting at a seminar on the 18th near my house and I plan to attend. I will let you know how it works out.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Norman View Post
    Thanks guys this is all new but sounds interesting. Dr Eiesenburg of the NAHB will be presenting at a seminar on the 18th near my house and I plan to attend. I will let you know how it works out.
    Steve
    Thanks.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.