Alexis Marcil Guest

Default part time business

Hello everybody,

I am interested in the home inspection business for a long time and have a few questions. I wonder if you think it's a good business to run part time. I have a full time job ( not in the construction industry) but have free time.

My wife is at home so she is able to answer the phone and act as my receptionist when I'm not there.

I have a very strong interest for everything regarding to construction. I read a lot of message board, I have a huge building book library... I really have a strong interest!

Recently, I read a lot of HI on a message board talk against the fact of being part time. It seems to me it's ideal since sometimes the business is slow for it to be the sole revenue. I wish to do 1-2 inspection per week, after the required training ( carson dunlop)

What do you think of that?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: part time business

Personally I don't know of anyone that has made it just doing it part-time.

Think about this. Your going to make a huge investment in a new home. Would you consider someone that is just a "part-time" home inspector?

Would you buy a home from a part-time home builder?

JMHO

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post

Would you buy a home from a part-time home builder?

JMHO

rick

That's what most ( still in the Business ) Builders are Around Here
    Alexis,

If you wish to approach ( with a long term no return ) being a Part Timer why not ?
    * it'll take a while just to get to 1 or 2 Inspections a Week.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexis Marcil View Post
    Hello everybody,

I am interested in the home inspection business for a long time and have a few questions. I wonder if you think it's a good business to run part time.
    I wish to do 1-2 inspection per week, after the required training ( carson dunlop)

In this market, there are a lot of guys out there marketing full time, and only doing 1-2 inspections a week.
    Many of them are willing to do an inspection for $200.00 with the hope of building a referral base.

Have you looked at what it costs to get in this business before you get your first inspection? Most here will agree that figure is $10-12,000.

If you consider $3-4000.00 a year for insurance, marketing materials, web site, continued education, and other basic costs, your wife will have to go to work so you can afford to do those 1-2 inspections .

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Alexis Marcil Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post

Think about this. Your going to make a huge investment in a new home. Would you consider someone that is just a "part-time" home inspector?

rick
    How would client know I'm part time? If they want an inspection for tuesday and I work, I simply say that I am unavailable tuesday but I have a free spot wednesday am. They won't know if it's because of Home Inspection or something else...

If most HI get only 1 or 2 inspection per week, it's seems that having another job is almost mandatory. Providing your still get enough continuing education to stay a good HI, wich I intend to do.

For me, part time doesn't mean doing it partially... I want to offer my client a very good service, wich is why I'm willing to take a longer, more expensive course than what I could...

thanks for your reply

Alexis

Quote Originally Posted by Alexis Marcil View Post

I have a very strong interest

Yep,

You Got it Bad.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I'm a part timer. It took a while to figure what works best for me. I've learned how to keep my expenses to the most necessary things to hold the overhead cost down. Still, I grossed 23k last year and my expenses were 10k. Wow, a whopping 13k profit. Uncle Sam then took 3k of that for taxes.

Not lookin so pretty huh?

This years profit should be better since I think I'm done spending money on tools in the middle of my 3rd year in business.

I'll stick with it because I might retire early from my day full time job and then shift the HI gig into the next gear.

BTW, home inspection aint easy. I dont care how much one knows about construction. It holds huge responsibility and a significant amount of stress if you are anyone who gives half a damn about serving your clients well.

If you are entering the HI profession, you need to take a hard look at the home market in your area. How many homes are being sold per month? How many home inspectors are now in your area?

I would estimate that about 40% of the homes sold in my area are getting inspected and I live in a pretty big market. Last month 1800 homes were sold in my area. Last month I was able to book 16 home inspections and this has been a full time gig for me since 1995! It is very very very slow!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com