Bob Garza Guest

Default Inspection reports

Hello everyone,
    I'd like to know when writing reports in regards to electrical for example,
    I note every loose outlet, reverse polarity, exterior outlets which are not GFCI.
    I did an inspection yesterday which had a lot of electrical issues.
    Do you guys note every electrical issue ? Or do you suggest complete review by a licensed electrical contractor ? I'd like to cut down on my report time.
    Thank in advance.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Inspection reports

Include as much information as needed to do a good job. Don't look for reasons to sluff responsibility off on another.

If you have many things wrong in a category try this format.

There are a number of things wrong with the electrical system. Have an electrician address the following items.

and so on......

I've run into a few homes where the entire electrical system was so screwed up that I made a single comment, "Review and repair of the entire electrical system is necessary by a qualified electrician". Then included about 30 to 40 photographs with descriptive text by each photo.

I only use that approach in extreme cases...extensive amounts of unprotected wiring left hanging, most of the outlets and lights not working etc. Otherwise I'll document each and every one.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Garza View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I'd like to know when writing reports in regards to electrical for example,
    I note every loose outlet, reverse polarity, exterior outlets which are not GFCI.
    I did an inspection yesterday which had a lot of electrical issues.
    Do you guys note every electrical issue ? Or do you suggest complete review by a licensed electrical contractor ? I'd like to cut down on my report time.
    Thank in advance.
    Bob,

Unfortunately, I am not as smart as Ken. I tend to write up nearly everything that I see. However, I have made general notes like John suggested and generally deferred the whole electrical (or heating, or plumbing) system.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I have many "levels" of recommendations.....

It starts with calling out each loose outlet and missing cover plate

Quickly escalates to a more general comment using terms like "throughout" or "in many areas"

And in extreme cases I have no problem using the old standbys "a full system evalation" or "all apsects of X system should be evaluated and repaired by a qualified electrician, priest or rabbi".

Basically, for $350 I'm not going to explain point by point where uncle Ted and his drunk buddy have botched a system over the last 50 years..... not to mention inspect the rest of the house.

I do both depending on the circumstance. I also will list a bunch of the defects and toss in the phrase "including but not limited to" if the list is growing too long. If for instance I can see 5 splices in and attic, there are likely to be more and the electrician needs to address all the issues, not just the ones on the list.
    Sometimes you just have to throw in the towel and tell them to get a real professional to fix all of the problems and go over the entire system but that is the rare exception.
    It all depends on the circumstance but I try to list several specific defects even when telling them to get a professional to fix the whole thing.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas