Default Water above electric panel

Do we have a problem here?

This water pipe is above the working space (not above panel) of an electric panel. The pipe is above 6.5 ft. from floor and the pipe is solid above the "dedicated" space. (no potential for leaks). There is though a fitting on the side and above dedicated space, which has a potential to leak. (I am interpreting that it is not above the dedicated space-could be wrong)

Questions:

1. Is it OK (by code) and discuss for my clarity.

2. If the water pipe needs protection installed to prevent damage, what is considered protection by code.

Thanks for the help.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Water above electric panel

I know this isn't what you asked, but the vertical portion of the pipe looks like it could be inside the working space in front of the panel. Maybe it's just the angle of the photo?

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

It's not in front. It's on the side and in between both panels.

From the 2008 NEC.
    - 110.26 Spaces About Electrical Equipment.
    - - (F) Dedicated Equipment Space. All switchboards, panelboards, distribution boards, and motor control centers shall be located in dedicated spaces and protected from damage.
    - - - Exception: Control equipment that by its very nature or because of other rules of the Code must be adjacent to or within sight of its operating machinery shall be permitted in those locations.
    (1) Indoor. Indoor installations shall comply with 110.26(F)(1)(a) through (F)(1)(d).
    - - - - (a) Dedicated Electrical Space. The space equal to the width and depth of the equipment and extending from the floor to a height of 1.8 m (6 ft) above the equipment or to the structural ceiling, whichever is lower, shall be dedicated to the electrical installation. No piping, ducts, leak protection apparatus, or other equipment foreign to the electrical installation shall be located in this zone.
    - - - - - Exception: Suspended ceilings with removable panels shall be permitted within the 1.8-m (6-ft) zone.
    - - - - (b) Foreign Systems. The area above the dedicated space required by 110.26(F)(1)(a) shall be permitted to contain foreign systems, provided protection is installed to avoid damage to the electrical equipment from condensation, leaks, or breaks in such foreign systems.
    - - - - (c) Sprinkler Protection. Sprinkler protection shall be permitted for the dedicated space where the piping complies with this section.
    - - - - (d) Suspended Ceilings. A dropped, suspended, or similar ceiling that does not add strength to the building structure shall not be considered a structural ceiling.
    - - - -(2) Outdoor. Outdoor electrical equipment shall be installed in suitable enclosures and shall be protected from accidental contact by unauthorized personnel, or by vehicular traffic, or by accidental spillage or leakage from piping systems. The working clearance space shall include the zone described in 110.26(A). No architectural appurtenance or other equipment shall be located in this zone.

From your photo, the pipes look like they are not in the "dedicated space" nor above it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,

Thanks for the clarification.

That's what I thought it said, But I got a bit confused between working space and dedicated space. My common sense tells me that the pipe should not be above the dedicated or within the working space - BUT NOW I KNOW and it will go into my mental library forever.

The dedicated space applies to under the panel also and that dwv pipe appears to be in the dedicated space.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Amelin View Post
    it will go into my mental library forever.

Wish I could do that.

Some of my file cabinet drawers seem to be locked shut and I've forgotten where I placed the key.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Roger Frazee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Wish I could do that.

Some of my file cabinet drawers seem to be locked shut and I've forgotten where I placed the key.
    You need to open up your brain memory box what is happening is you are opening up your nothing box .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW-_pXrrx6c&NR=1

Last edited by Roger Frazee; 03-18-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paul hardy View Post
    The dedicated space applies to under the panel also and that dwv pipe appears to be in the dedicated space.
    Good point, Paul.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by paul hardy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Good point, Paul.

Agreed. I was keyed in on the question about what was "above" the electrical panels that I did not "see" what was in plain sight "below" the electrical panels.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com