Default Inspectvue thread retract

I started a thread last September talking about the quality of service that inspectvue software was providing. At that time during their switch or migration into the new program the service was extremely poor and inadequate. Since the first of the year I have had the opportunity to work with some of the guys there and have found the individuals, their service and the new program to be to be unworthy of my previous statements.
    -marc

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Inspectvue thread retract

Marc,

Are you still working with IV4 or 5? Or did you end up using something else...

Just curious and thanks!

Tim

Tim,
    I've been using IV5 for over a year now. I hated it at first and the service was very bad. But I know now why it was, the way it was. I'ts come a long way and is still being tweeked, but it's good overall.
    I did try switching, that didnt go very well.

Good to hear Marc...

I haven't used in "5" in the field, but I can see that improvements were made with the product (IV5). The ability to modify text is a plus.. getting the hang still. As you mentioned, I have considered switching, but sometimes the best software is what works best to ensure all relevant info is presented. The checkbox's in our work area along with other enhancements are a good way to ensure that we cover all areas.... ext/elec/hvac etc. I haven't seen other products that allow me to make a quick glance to make sure that when I'm done, I'm done.

The product itself, Inspectvue is a good product and a staple for our profession. The other "changes" created a backlash as you indicated. There are lots of newer inspectors that use other products, they are cheaper and are being updated on a regular basis. There some of us that have been around awhile that still use inspectvue.

Learning curve for "5" isn't much as I'm used to the layout. The layout of inspectvue is very native to anyone performing an inspection (see attached pic)

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Hey Tim,
    Are you running windows 7 with your IV5?

Marc,

I've used both. I opened it on the Desktop which is Win 7/64 and my tablet is XP. Seems to be OK on both.

Actually, IV4 on the Desktop - Win7/64 seems to be buggy at best.

Hey Tim,
    I was wondering because they said it runs differently on windows 7 but this morning, they told me a different story. I guess my commercial program wont work with 7/64. Anyhow, I was asked to participate in the Beta testing on Wed for the new changes they have been talking about (promising). Things like spacing, the red text under the photos etc... We'll see how it goes.

Marc,

I'm told the same thing in regards to Win7/XP... haven't been able to tell myself though.

I use photoscape to quickly annotate photos ahead of time when needed. Porter Valley had recommended photoscape as a way to annotate. By accident, I've cut down report time by:

-Annotating quicker than within software... any software as a matter of fact.

-Realizing that caption/annotations should be used "when needed", in retrospect, I think I was using more than needed.

I hadn't heard specifically about another beta, but did rec a message to contact them when possible. Maybe that was the reason.

IMO, the only "real" drawbacks in the 5 product I'm noticing are pic size - which you can put in a 2nd section if you wanted and lack of annotating tools, of which I don't use internal tools to the software for Computer Reports or ones that I generate by way of Word, which I still do from time to time.

They could shrink the Table Of Contents as well, it's a bit too long IMO. But, I've also noticed a "lack" of a TOC in other products, which I think is a shortcoming. Even in 2010, if I do a re-inspection, it's a reminder as I still see printed reports, therefore a need of a TOC is still viable. I think agents and clients still print more of our reports than we realize.

That is so funny, I also use photoscape. I was using it for a long time now. I agree the tools within the report could use some work. Just wondering, do any agents comment on how long your reports are now with IV5? Mine went from an average 40ish pages with IV4 to 60-70ish now.
    Ya know, I think the clients actually like the long reports because they can see the value in the fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    That is so funny, I also use photoscape. I was using it for a long time now. I agree the tools within the report could use some work. Just wondering, do any agents comment on how long your reports are now with IV5? Mine went from an average 40ish pages with IV4 to 60-70ish now.
    Ya know, I think the clients actually like the long reports because they can see the value in the fee.

I've had some "comments" But would have whether I used a pen and paper or a computer program.

The spacing could be improved in IV5, for sure. The amount of spacing is a bit much, but, that being said it's still a very user-friendly format. Don't know about you, but I enjoy having a reporting format that doesn't leave my clients a lot of questions that they have to call and ask me. It's OK if they do, but hey!

Wasn't their research on "White Space" in report formats? Maybe they were onto something.

My biggest hang ups with other software is it is too much work to get from one section to another.

Even a first time user for InspectVue can quickly find where the water connectors are for a Natural Gas Water Heater. AND more importantly, you can see WHAT SECTIONS you have entered data in.

I have to agree. I might get one call a week. As for other reports, I have tried every single program I could find when I was having those issues with IV. I haven't found a single one that is formatted in a way, or is easy to use like IV. There was one, however, called Einspections that came close, but the owner or whoever he was, was kind-of a jerk, so I decided to stay with IV and just work thru the issues.
    Anyhow, you have a good week, I'm leaving for lake Mead for a week. If I get any calls in your area I'll be sure to send them your way. Talk to ya later.
    -Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    I have to agree. I might get one call a week. As for other reports, I have tried every single program I could find when I was having those issues with IV. I haven't found a single one that is formatted in a way, or is easy to use like IV. There was one, however, called Einspections that came close, but the owner or whoever he was, was kind-of a jerk, so I decided to stay with IV and just work thru the issues.
    Anyhow, you have a good week, I'm leaving for lake Mead for a week. If I get any calls in your area I'll be sure to send them your way. Talk to ya later.
    -Marc
    Guess you never tried Home Inspector Pro as most all the old InspectVue users have migrated over there.
    Dominic has a special program for comment transfer from InspectVue and the best customer service in the business.

"Most All" I highly doubt that :-)

Bad news spreads faster than good news when this Co was going thru "changes", at end of day the program is still a very stable one that is easy to work with... And the Company's support is now very responsive.

I can highlight text to any color or bold or whatever for summary or narrative or whatever form or attachment I want.

I arrive at an inspection, select a library for my report... let's say "Mid 80's, slab on grade library" OK.. Name report and open. I have all my relevant boxes "pre checked" for relevant info AND Illustrations...large or small sizes. I have pre-def "boiler" that I highlight and re-write for individual components...

The thing that keeps me "stuck" with the program is the fact that I can so quickly see where I'm at..where I want to go and CHECKMARKS WHERE I'VE FINISHED I like knowing both at an inspection and when finishing a report where I'm at. I have never hit a "SAVE" button, nor have I lost one iota of comments that I type... I get really pissed if I have to do something twice.

Ever tried it? You may be a convert InspectVue Residential

If you buy ... there is a *newer version* with the bookmarks you like on the side of the page... I like the idea of bookmarks, but have gotten *mixed* reviews on them.

A downfall or reality is... not many of us share libraries. There are many long time inspectors in my locality that use inspectvue... as a matter of fact, it's possible that a majority of them that are 5 years plus use it I think they'd shoot me before sharing their libraries. Most of us don't post sample reports with our "working" or custom libraries.

Don't get me wrong.. I may add HIP to my collection as well. I think the program is excellent, the gentleman at the helm is an asset. That being said, the best tool for any of us is what help deliver accurate information to our client. Be it software, pen and paper or whatever.

I have four inspectors, all using the Porter Valley software IV5 version. Porter Valley "recommended" to upgrade from version 4 and I did reluctantly, but now they have downgraded version 5 to a Beta version and give no way to bring the library back from version 5 back into version 4. With all the problems with version 5, it has been a nightmare (loosing information, reports printing in different formats every time etc...). This is on top of the fact they do not answer your phone calls or return calls when they promise. I have had the program for about 4 years and the worst part is that I like the program, but the new owners (Ed Torrez - owner of ESP Inc.) are destroying the program and they don't seem to care. I am currently looking for new software. Anyone have the same problems with Porter Valley or ESP? Anyone know of a software similar to this I can look at?

Peter,

Since my last post in August.. my opinion has changed about PV. I hope they change someday..

My fear was that I would end up with an orphan program. If you noticed with the last Windows SQL update, certain features of 5 no longer work.

Sadly, I think it's a tell tale sign and eventually some portion of XP or Win7 or whatever will update and you'll be stuck.

I suggest looking elsewhere before you're stuck....

Ask yourself, what are you going to do when you sit down to finish a report and it won't work... your customer is waiting? I felt it was inevitable.

There's a short list to look at IMO... but you can look where ever you want.

HIP - Look around the boards, Dominic (the owner) is everywhere helping guys, myself included from time to time!
    Whisper
    Home Gauge

Good luck,