Post Flex connector in gas fireplace

This is a three sided gas log fireplace (1993 unit). A flexible connector is installed below burner to the gas valve. The propane supply was disconnected so I could not operate unit to see how close the flame was to the flex connector. I should have taken better photos of this.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Trent Tarter; 03-20-2010 at 10:13 PM. Reason: add photos
    Crawl Space Creeper

David Bell Guest

Default Re: Flex connector in gas fireplace

Looks to be ok, but the pilot tube grommet should be in place to prevent blowout. The black soot on the rock may be a sign of bad valve setup.

Cool Re: Flex connector in gas fireplace

Looks like an old Heat&Glo fiber log unit, which would make it circa 1995. Did you take a pic of the rating plate?

The flex connector should be fine as far as shielding from flame impingement goes. That gas valve is only rated 175F and passed the Z21.60 listing.

The grommet is there because they used the same pilot assy. as used in gas direct vents. With this open construction, it is not needed. If this was an gas direct vent or B-vented fireplace, it would be required to be sealed as David said.

That grate should slide inwards so the front 'log' and other materials cover the valve compartment. Those embers are way too big btw.

What is a concern is it appears they spliced two flex connectors, which is not approved. Regardless, just defer to a hearth pro and a level II for the Fp.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Default Re: Flex connector in gas fireplace

Yes the unit did have light weight fiber logs, most likely it's a Heat&Glow unit.
    I was so concerned about the clearance from the flexible connector's I did not see that they were spliced as seen in the photo. Thanks for pointing that out Bob. I will recommend further evaluation and repair.