Moe Eve Guest

Default Work to new home.. Stairs?

Hello,

I was looking around for some help, I have this old home 17 year old , but it is new to me.

Anyways, when I brought this home there was some work to do, I have these stair that I posted up that need alittle work.

I had timbermart (hardware store), Come here and get all the info they needed to build me a set of stairs.

Now when you look at the top end of the stairs, there is a messy job done, what should I do to make this job look right?

And the bottom end of stringers you see that there is a hang... now what should I do for this, I was thinking about building a add-on floor?

Any idea would be great

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Work to new home.. Stairs?

Can you put up some more photos? I can't tell exactly what you are referring to from those two.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    Can you put up some more photos? I can't tell exactly what you are referring to from those two.

More photos may help, but, to start ...

The first photo is, I think, taken looking up from under the stairs toward the top landing - the wide wood are the treads and the narrow edge of the plywood are the risers.

If that is correct, that photo shows the top of the stringer where the stringers bear against the upper landing, with two pieces of 2x lumber nailed in place between the three stringers.

Likewise, then, the second photo is of the bottom of the stairs and you are looking at the stringers resting on the lower landing, albeit overhanging the lower landing some (you can see the end of the stringers which is not bearing on anything). In the second photo, starting at the bottom, there is the yellow vertical edge of the lower landing, then the first bare new wood is the lowest tread, coming back toward you to the second riser (the first riser is not visible), working back closer to you is the next tread up.

Also note that the underside of the landing is exposed as well is the underside of the stairs. This is in addition to the not-fully-bearing stringer ends at the bottom of the stringers. The wall to the left is also left open (where the old stair was?).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Moe Eve Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    More photos may help, but, to start ...

The first photo is, I think, taken looking up from under the stairs toward the top landing - the wide wood are the treads and the narrow edge of the plywood are the risers.

If that is correct, that photo shows the top of the stringer where the stringers bear against the upper landing, with two pieces of 2x lumber nailed in place between the three stringers.

Likewise, then, the second photo is of the bottom of the stairs and you are looking at the stringers resting on the lower landing, albeit overhanging the lower landing some (you can see the end of the stringers which is not bearing on anything). In the second photo, starting at the bottom, there is the yellow vertical edge of the lower landing, then the first bare new wood is the lowest tread, coming back toward you to the second riser (the first riser is not visible), working back closer to you is the next tread up.

Also note that the underside of the landing is exposed as well is the underside of the stairs. This is in addition to the not-fully-bearing stringer ends at the bottom of the stringers. The wall to the left is also left open (where the old stair was?).
    I will get some picture tomorrow, But The top pic is were the 2x lumber is.
    and
    bottom is the 2nd photo.

Anyways 1st pic - They have 3 screw in both outside stringers?
    - centre stringer has two on angle?

The 2x lumber has 3 anchor in each board?

Now I am sure this isn't the safest way.

Now to the bottom - Screw tie into floor each stringer?
    - I have a over hang on the 3 string about 1 1/2inch, what to do there?

Now I understand you may need more pisture to help, but I was hoping till that time, can I get someone help or ideas on this job?

And there is a open side on the one side but we hae grauds in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Moe Eve View Post
    Anyways 1st pic - They have 3 screw

Now to the bottom - Screw

Screws??? Should have nails, not screws. Unless they are concrete screws anchoring to concrete (such as Tapcons, etc.).

Hopefully our members here in Canada will speak up and provide some more information, but that should have been permitted and inspected too.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

chris mcintyre Guest

I had timbermart (hardware store), Come here and get all the info they needed to build me a set of stairs.

... there is a messy job done, what should I do to make this job look right?
    Any idea would be great
    If Timbermart is building you a new set of stairs they should be able to correct any issues you have. Make sure they are licensed and insured, acquire all necessary permits and you should be fine.

Moe Eve Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    If Timbermart is building you a new set of stairs they should be able to correct any issues you have. Make sure they are licensed and insured, acquire all necessary permits and you should be fine.
    No see timbermart came here and made the ones that are in picture

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

I am thinking you are inquiring about what work from the underside of the stairs needs to be done to prepare it for replacing the gypsum or plaster finish to the underside of the new stairs.

Yes the stairs need to have their draft stopping and fireblocking restored on the left & right sides & at the junctions of riser and treads, Do this first before you can replace the furing & lath for plaster system or the furring for the gypsum board wall finish underneath the stairs.

When looking from below a floor cavity the finish material to enclose from below would be the ceiling finish.

Your local building office would be your best resource for specifics. Was a building permit applied for/acquired (most likely should have)? Inspection done? Your contract with "TimberMart" might address the subject of fireblocking/draft stopping and/or finish work to enclose & protect the cavity under the stairs.

If you are inquiring about the structural details of the framing for the stair opening, support, etc. stairs (including the method of hanging/supporting the stringers and proper methods, use & type of fasteners, shear strength, lack of hangers, etc.); head room, etc. again, your local building office and the inspector on your permit would be your first best resource. The new stairs, the framing and stopping/blocking should be inspected before covered with a ceiling type finish from below.

HTH.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 03-21-2010 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Fixed reference to "TimberMart", called it "TimberLake" first time!

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

No see timbermart came here and made the ones that are in picture
    Are you saying they didn't install the stairs to your home - that they pre-manufactured the stairs and you or someone else installed the stairway, or that Timbermart came and built on site the stairs?

Otherwise not sure why you are discounting what Chris Mc. said!?!

Moe Eve Guest

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Are you saying they didn't install the stairs to your home - that they pre-manufactured the stairs and you or someone else installed the stairway, or that Timbermart came and built on site the stairs?

Otherwise not sure why you are discounting what Chris Mc. said!?!
    Timebermart came and took messurements and I got help to install them, but for some reason they don't look installed right?
    and I am notsure why they over hanged at bottom.

but thanks for the help I may try to get the inpector over to give me the code to make a strong support and see if I can build under the stringer to make a full support for landing.

But other then that rise and run and head room are fine, the top step is the 2nd and the rise from floor to step is out a hair, but all to code, just support looks rough.