Jon mackay Guest

Default Tile flue with pellet stove and metal liner

Is it acceptable to have one tile flue that has a pellet stove connected at the lower level and a gas fireplace insert at the upper level using a flexible metal liner.
    I attached a picture of the chimney.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Exclamation Re: Tile flue with pellet stove and metal liner

The remaining space surrounding a chimney liner, gas vent special gas vent, or plastic piping installed within a chimney flue shall not be used to vent another appliance--NFPA 211 4.5.3

Any more pics of appliances, brands, or models? Do you have a closeup of that listing sticker on that vent?

Is this gas insert a direct vent or B-vent?

FYI, masonry chimneys are not tested, listed, approved or intended for positive vent pressure, which includes pellet stoves. Even though some pellet stove mfrs. will tell you it is acceptable to vent into a masonry chimney, it is not.

HTH,
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Jon mackay Guest

Default Re: Tile flue with pellet stove and metal liner

The Pellet Stove is a Harmon Model P61.
    The gas insert is a Majestic Vermont Castings but I could not find an info tag.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Jon mackay Guest

It originally threw me off because the chimney cap appeared to be designed to allow for this type of install.
    After further review, I'm thinking the cap may have been modified.

Jon mackay Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post

Any more pics of appliances, brands, or models? Do you have a closeup of that listing sticker on that vent?

Is this gas insert a direct vent or B-vent?

HTH,
    Bob
    Bob, I looked inside the gas fireplace at the base but no information was listed. Is there another place to find the info.?

Cool Re: Tile flue with pellet stove and metal liner

Jon, there must be a metallic rating plate stating the mfr., model, serial #, fuel type set up for, BTU input rate, listing std., listing lab/ agency, and other data. This tag may be a sticker permanently affixed or it can be a tag on a chain or wire rope leash. Majestic uses a lot of big metal tags on a leash, usually to one side.

With the model #, you can look up the manual online, which identifies which venting systems are approved for that unit. Only those venting systems approved by that mfr. can be used. They usually want as many choices approved as possible but not always. For instance, Heatilator/ Heat&Glo/ Quadrafire use their own proprietary co-axial pipe but do allow other's liner kits. They do NOT approve the HomeStyle Collection of direct vent insert terminations from RLH Industries, for ex. as they actually did not perform well enough to pass.

With regards to using the space around a liner, there is one area of contention. Heat&Glo has approved a kit for years that includes a 4' air intake liner. It is introduced through the damper into the smoke chamber then the throat is packed with insulation. It draws combustion air from the space around the exhaust liner and it works better than the full length 30' liner intake. However, some AHJs do not approve of it citing the code I did. HG claims they should allow it because they listed it that way. I personally don't have a problem with it because I know it works and does not have any recorded incidents of CO recirculation. I would be nervous about a pellet stove using an untested setup for combustion air. As you put heated liners into flue tiles, the air around them becomes buoyant and has a draft you must over come. Now, if you have two liners in that flue, that's a lot more heat than as tested not to mention the turbulence.

This looks like a homemade termination. What I can't figure out from your pics is where is the separation of two appliance exhausts from the air intake. Are you sure this isn't a gas termination with a pellet vent out the side of the chimney?

BTW, where is the access for cleaning the base of that pellet vent?

Good pickup!
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Jon mackay Guest

Bob,
    The pellet stove was on and I could feel it venting at the chimney.
    The clean-out was in a crawl area, I took a picture from the clean-out but could not determine where the pellet vent entered, only the liner.

David Bell Guest

I don't believe you can use the tile lined chimney for a flue once you have lined it. The liner should be of size and type to accommodate both appliances or a seperate chimney is required.