Default pvc in a crawl space?

On a fixer house I am buying (on a well) there is pvc pipe from the well, then under the house to the pressure tank. After the tank it turns to copper for the remainder of the supply.
    I want to abandon the well and connect to city water.
    I know I can use the existing pvc line from the well to the house. But can I keep the existing pvc line that is under the house? Eliminating the pressure tank and tie it into the copper system.
    I looked at an old upc book and it stated the pvc is not allowed under a structure.
    Have the codes changed to allow pvc under a structure?
    Why would you not be allowed to use pvc under a structure (in the crawl space)?
    I understand that cpvc is allowed under a structure why not pvc?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: pvc in a crawl space?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Plys View Post
    On a fixer house I am buying (on a well) there is pvc pipe from the well, then under the house to the pressure tank. After the tank it turns to copper for the remainder of the supply.
    I want to abandon the well and connect to city water.
    I know I can use the existing pvc line from the well to the house. But can I keep the existing pvc line that is under the house? Eliminating the pressure tank and tie it into the copper system.
    I looked at an old upc book and it stated the pvc is not allowed under a structure.
    Why would you not be allowed to use pvc under a structure (in the crawl space)?
    I understand that cpvc is allowed under a structure why not pvc?
    You need to check and see what the permit is going to require for the work to be done to meet the local requirements. All areas, even in the same state can have differing requirements unless the state has a statewide code.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Plys View Post
    I know I can use the existing pvc line from the well to the house. But can I keep the existing pvc line that is under the house?
    Not even supposed to use the PVC under the structure for the service line from the well.

Nope, the code still do not allow PVC under a structure when used for pressure uses.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

2006 IRC Table P2904.4 allows PVC pipe meeting ASTM D 1785; 2241; 2672; or CSA B137.3 standards to be used for water service pipe. ASTM D 2241 and the CSA standard are for pressure rated pipe. CPVC is also allowed as water service pipe. More likely that the pipe is polyethylene or polypropylene though.

Default Re: PVC in a crawl space?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Weck View Post
    2006 IRC Table P2904.4 allows PVC pipe meeting ASTM D 1785; 2241; 2672; or CSA B137.3 standards to be used for water service pipe. ASTM D 2241 and the CSA standard are for pressure rated pipe. CPVC is also allowed as water service pipe. More likely that the pipe is polyethylene or polypropylene though.
    Fred,

Go back and re-read that code section, here are the key words you dropped ... "Water service pipe or tubing, installed underground and outside of the structure," (bold and underlining are mine).

It is very misleading to just read and use part of a code section.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com