Jim Fields Guest

Default Recommended Books/Publications for Starting Out

I am new to the forums and the business. I am in the process of getting licensed. I have been browsing the forums for about a month. I wanted to get some recommendations on books or publications for starting my business. I was wondering if anyone had particular books they have had luck with. I am interested in the business side, like marketing and such. Also my instructor for the licensing course has recommending picking up various do it yourself books to familiarize with possible problems with things such as plumbing, electric, decks, roofs, exteriors, etc.

Any recommendtations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jim

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Recommended Books/Publications for Starting Out

You will need the IRC codes

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

TSlocum Guest

Look at the Code Check series on Amazon. Good books for a quick reference.

Jim Fields Guest

From what I understand we are not supposed to enforce code or reference it in our inspections. Are you saying to use these books to familiarize myself with the codes in order to know what to look for or to actually cite code?

What do you think all those Sunset and other Do-It-Yourself books use to define how you should fix or install something? The "codes".

How do you know if something is correct if you are not familiar with the codes. Get yourself a copy of the National Electric Code, NEC and the International Residential Code, IRC. Both are available from International Code Council, ICC. iccsafe.org

The paper copy are useful for taking ICC certification tests but for general everyday use as home inspector the electronic version allows for searching.

How do you know if an area should have GFCI protection? How do you know if a house was required to have GFCI when it was built? Code. If you are not familiar with code, then you are not able to inspect.

Get you some code books. Read, study, learn, know. If you have been reading this forum, you know that Code Rules!

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

JLC Field Guides are good for general construction stuff.

https://m1.buysub.com/webapp/wcs/sto...atalogId=17803

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fields View Post
    From what I understand we are not supposed to enforce code or reference it in our inspections. Are you saying to use these books to familiarize myself with the codes in order to know what to look for or to actually cite code?
    Even though we don't enfore the code, having a knowledge of many parts of it is crucial to your success in this business. I can guarentee you your competition knows it like the back of their hand and your clients (and more importantly, their attorneys) expect you to know it too.

I also like the Code Check series.... there are some technically incorrect items but overall they are few and far between compared to how much info is presented in a small space.

If you haven't already done so, look into the 1&2 family code classes at your local community college. It basically deals with every aspect of residential construction except for the mechanical items (plumbing, electrical, hvac) and is great info to know.

Jim Fields Guest

I ordered the codecheck book that covers all the basics, thanks for the advice.

Does anyone have any suggestions for books on the business side, like marketing, establishing LLC, and such. Thanks!

I read a book called "Duct Tape Marketing" and it was pretty good.... I can't say I pulled anything specific out of it but it's got great ideas and is a pretty quick read.

Tony Escamilla Guest

Heres a good publication from HUD. It's free and give a basic understanding of inspection principles. It's one of many publications you will want to get your hands on and read. Read, read, read.

Residential Rehabilitation Inspection Guide | HUD USER

For the business side of things, you should pick up the owner of this site's book "The Cost of Doing Business".

I would discourage picking up DIY books. Heck, several of them were just recalled for giving out improper info.

I'd go straight to the source and pick up a full set of building codes used in your area, the book mentioned above, "Electrical Inspection of Existing Dwellings" by Douglas Hansen, study the entire APA.org website (free), do all of Certainteed's on- line courses (free), study and save to file manufacturers installation instructions for typical materials used in your area (free), study NRCA's (free for much of it) or ARMA guidelines,
    study everything referenced in the building code books.

A lot of the info. you need to study can be found on- line, and this may include your states adopted building codes.

That should be a good start for now. Good luck.

Basic carpentry 101.
    Time life electrical series (great simple explanations and graphics)
    Time life plumbing series

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI