Jonathan Cartwright Guest

Default GFCI requirement

Is a GFCI required at a gas log fireplace switch located near a sink?

I think yes and intend to report that this switch is not GFCI protected unless there is a reason I should not.

Are there any reasons not to call this?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: GFCI requirement

I don't know of any requirements for switches to be GFI protected. There are disposals, lights and all kinds of other equipment very close to sinks that are not GFI protected..... I'd say you're heading down the short road of looking bad but maybe someone else will have different advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    I don't know of any requirements for switches to be GFI protected. There are disposals, lights and all kinds of other equipment very close to sinks that are not GFI protected..... I'd say you're heading down the short road of looking bad but maybe someone else will have different advice.

I agree with the above, there is no requirement for GFCI's for a switch, and to make up requirements is wrong.

I agree with both of the above. Why would this switch need GFI protection any more than any other switch? Even a switch 1" outside the footprint of a tub or shower does not require GFI protection.

Jonathan Cartwright Guest

Thanks a bunch. Late night writing - not thinking clearly. As soon I read your posts I got that stupid feeling.

Have a great day.

Gas log control switches are wired with low voltage wiring, the circulation fan control switches, if installed, may be 120V. Some types may differ but this is what I have seen during phase inspections.

Bruce King, B.A. King Home Inspections, LLC
    www.BAKingHomeInspections.com
    Certified Master Inspector, Independent Inspectorwww.IndependentInspectors.org