Thread: New guy new guy

Lance Mclennon Guest

Default New guy new guy

Hello all,

I signed up here for a few reasons, I am a new home onwer, I got caught in the real estate swindles two years ago, the realtor was in bed with the lawyer the inspector and the broker, long story short I followed their advice and recommendations subsequently purchasing a Lemon.

I wasn't able to touch the house for a few months due to work so I lost out on addressing the major issues I ran in to. Too late to cry over spilled milk, I had to gut the entire house.

I hired several different contractors, each came did their portion of crappy work I questioned it they gave me BS I let them go. So I started reading how to books, minor repair literature and taking some of those home depot work shop courses, hopefully to both save a bit on the labor cost but also not get swindled with crappy work again.

So look out for my qeustions because I will be asking a ton of them, as installs come up and I hire the right people I want to know what to look for and how to spot whether they talk a good game just to get in the door, also questions on how much work can a home owner tackle that does not require inspection or a contractor to come in. tiling, sheetrock etc.... , I have owned this home now almost two years, no where near living conditions, good solid advice and direction will be greatly appreciated.

Lance ,

Inspection Referral

Default Re: New guy new guy

Congratulations on home ownership, I think.

Your local building officials are your friends, usually, and can put you on the right path. Typically you'll find that you need permits for things involving wires, and pipes, and (re)moving walls and the like. My rule of thumb has been if it involves a sawzall or a trade book it probably requires a permit.

You want the local building official to inspect and sign off on your work. It will help when you need to sell the house later or when you need to collect on that fire insurance. My building inspector doesn't care so much about things like sheetrock and flooring. He does care about the windows, doors, and skylights I put in, as well as the new roof I framed up.

As for how much you can do, it depends on your skill level and what your local jurisdiction allows you to do. Here I can do everything except plumbing and gas pipe fitting. I still need to pull permits though. I would advise hiring a professional to tape your sheetrock. They're so much faster and better at it than you'll ever be.