Default Inspector attitudes

I'm seeing a lot of posts by inspectors saying, "If they don't like it they can find someone else". Referring to any number of different scenarios.

Then the next thread will have inspectors complaining about their lack of work or being undercut in price.

Anyone care to explain this?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: Inspector attitudes

I know exactly what you're talking about Ken. Somebody comes on here, throws jabs and punches at other inspectors with their keyboard, and then talks about lack of work, lower priced inspectors holding them back, etc etc. The lower price gripe only goes so far with me. If you're doing a good enough job, past clients will pass your name along and use you again in the future regardless of how low another inspector wants to price his service.

If somebody can't get along with others on a website forum, chances are they aren't winning clients over. Inspection knowledge is part of the equation. The ability to get along with others may be just as important for earning future referrals.

I know everybody has their own style but I think telling buyers "you aren't allowed at the inspection" or " don't interrupt my inspection process" or "I'll come back to you when I'm done" really hurts your chances at future client referrals. I don't care if the realtors like me or not as most inevitably fall off my bandwagon eventually. The buyer is who I care about. If the buyer likes me and the job I do, future work will come.

Something that always rankles me is seeing an inspector on here talking in derogatory terms about price shoppers. "That's not the kind of client I want" is something I have read more than once. The same buyers who most of us were thankful for when we just started inspecting and needed the work now are substandard clients and no longer worthy of our services. 1st time buyers must make up 75% or more of my work volume. Yeah, they have a lot of questions and yeah, they often buy houses with a lot of issues that make for longer inspections and more time spent on reports. Anybody who sees the pics I post knows exactly what I'm talking about. But 1st time buyers are my bread and butter and I'm very grateful for them. Follow me all you want and ask all the questions you want. I know when they get a chance, they will return the favor and send some referrals my way.

I will only turn people away if......

1 - they are an ass
    2 - they want me to work for peanuts
    3 - they start arguing with me on the phone (refer back to #1)

Otherwise, all are welcome as far as I'm concerned.

It's the "Casey at the Bat" approach to running a business..... you tell everyone to go to hell and then wonder where they all went.

To me this business in no different then any other.... customer service wins in the end. It's tough at times but putting up with people is just part of the deal.

I guess it's easy for me.... I worked restaurants for about 15 years while going to college and working various construction jobs. I don't care how bad things get in this business.... it's not even in the same league as the crap you put up with while waiting tables or bartending.

Good question Ken..... I agree.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    I know exactly what you're talking about Ken. Somebody comes on here, throws jabs and punches at other inspectors with their keyboard, and then talks about lack of work, lower priced inspectors holding them back, etc etc. The lower price gripe only goes so far with me. If you're doing a good enough job, past clients will pass your name along and use you again in the future regardless of how low another inspector wants to price his service.

If somebody can't get along with others on a website forum, chances are they aren't winning clients over. Inspection knowledge is part of the equation. The ability to get along with others may be just as important for earning future referrals.

I know everybody has their own style but I think telling buyers "you aren't allowed at the inspection" or " don't interrupt my inspection process" or "I'll come back to you when I'm done" really hurts your chances at future client referrals. I don't care if the realtors like me or not as most inevitably fall off my bandwagon eventually. The buyer is who I care about. If the buyer likes me and the job I do, future work will come.

Something that always rankles me is seeing an inspector on here talking in derogatory terms about price shoppers. "That's not the kind of client I want" is something I have read more than once. The same buyers who most of us were thankful for when we just started inspecting and needed the work now are substandard clients and no longer worthy of our services. 1st time buyers must make up 75% or more of my work volume. Yeah, they have a lot of questions and yeah, they often buy houses with a lot of issues that make for longer inspections and more time spent on reports. Anybody who sees the pics I post knows exactly what I'm talking about. But 1st time buyers are my bread and butter and I'm very grateful for them. Follow me all you want and ask all the questions you want. I know when they get a chance, they will return the favor and send some referrals my way.

1 - they are an ass

Otherwise, all are welcome as far as I'm concerned.
    All I have to say about that is Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

If I can book the inspection I won't turn them away either.

I am not sure where you guys are going with this.

If someone can book an inspection then why would they turn them away.

This is all pretty funny.

The truth is that I do not believe any of us hate price shoppers I think it is the inspector that does it for 175. because his wife is bringing in an income, she supplies benefits, the inspectors money is all extra................................so why the hell is he cutting prices in half anyway.

That is what I think most of the gripes are about.

Again. Tell someone to kiss off after they book the inspection? Now that is funny. I don't care who you are.

If the inspection was booked you just fell in love all over again

If they do not except your price after bartering for ten minutes then they can take a hike......they are anyway........Still not understanding. I think you folks are taking things way to close to the word written instead of the meaning behind it.

If you look at the posts throughout the board I truly think you have to read between the lines. What is written is not always the way it is or the whole story.

Well... there are a few clients - way under 1% in my experience, but when you run into them is going to be a bad day - who you are just better off without. OTOH I can think of at least one technically exemplary inspector in my area who carries around a "my way or the highway" vibe that does manage to terminally torque off a substantial number of clients...

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    All I have to say about that is Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

If I can book the inspection I won't turn them away either.

If someone can book an inspection then why would they turn them away.

This is all pretty funny.

The truth is that I do not believe any of us hate price shoppers I think it is the inspector that does it for 175. because his wife is bringing in an income, she supplies benefits, the inspectors money is all extra................................so why the hell is he cutting prices in half anyway.

That is what I think most of the gripes are about.

Again. Tell someone to kiss off after they book the inspection? Now that is funny. I don't care who you are.

If the inspection was booked you just fell in love all over again

If they do not except your price after bartering for ten minutes then they can take a hike......they are anyway........Still not understanding. I think you folks are taking things way to close to the word written instead of the meaning behind it.

If you look at the posts throughout the board I truly think you have to read between the lines. What is written is not always the way it is or the whole story.
    I'm not talking about jobs that are already booked Ted. I'm talking about people who start giving me crap over the phone the first time they've spoken with me. Get on my nerves before I've ever met you or done any work for you and chances are I will not be your inspector. It's all about mutual respect. But I can say there was one client I had within the past year I was ready to pull the rug out from under in the middle of the inspection. I held off but it was tough.

I think some inspectors here do hate price shoppers Ted. Go back in some of the past threads regarding fees and price shoppers and read some of the comments inspectors here have made. There is a definite tone of elitism. Not everybody is like this. Just enough for it to be noticeable to me.

Last edited by Nick Ostrowski; 03-23-2010 at 02:44 PM.

I'm not talking about jobs that are already booked Ted. I'm talking about people who start giving me crap over the phone the first time they've spoken with me. Get on my nerves before I've ever met you or done any work for you and chances are I will not be your inspector. It's all about mutual respect. But I can say there was one client I had within the past year I was ready to pull the rug out from under in the middle of the inspection. I held off but it was tough.

I think some inspectors here do hate price shoppers Ted. Go back in some of the past threads regarding fees and price shoppers and read some of the comments inspectors here have made. There is a definite tone of elitism. Not everybody is like this. Just enough for it to be noticeable to me.
    This might help.....

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

I've had a few jobs that I've walked away from at the beginning of the inspection. Those generally started like this;
    Me, "Is there any particular concerns you have with the home?",
    Client, "Yes, but I'm not going to tell you. I want to see if you can find them".

But in general I see this as a customer service job and bust my hump to exceed my client's expectations. Price shoppers, low priced inspectors, water not being on in the home, rescheduling after you've already arrived etc. It's all part of the job.

I was just wondering if anyone else was noticing the same things I was noticing.

No comment.

A.D. Miller Guest

1 - they are an ass
    NO: That sums it up fairly well, I would say. KR simply does not get it because: he may have never met an ass that he would not kiss or a truth that he could not stretch.

Last edited by A.D. Miller; 03-24-2010 at 08:48 AM.

I just worry about myself and that is about it. I treat everyone I meet and work with just how I would and expect to be treated. I stay professional in all of my actions and I just do not have problems. Sure it is difficult at times, but I'm also being paid pretty darn good so I can put up with a good amount for a couple of hours.

I have an inspection this afternoon that has been rescheduled twice, the last time I was about five minutes away and it takes me about forty minutes to drive to this home.

When I got the call that it needed to be rescheduled, I smiled and said OK. Turned my truck around and headed to a Bass Pro Shop that was just down the road. I had been meaning to get by that store for about a week, so I turned lemons into lemonade. It all works out in the long run, sometimes you just have to swallow a little harder and smile.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I just worry about myself and that is about it. I treat everyone I meet and work with just how I would and expect to be treated. I stay professional in all of my actions and I just do not have problems. Sure it is difficult at times, but I'm also being paid pretty darn good so I can put up with a good amount for a couple of hours.

I have an inspection this afternoon that has been rescheduled twice, the last time I was about five minutes away and it takes me about forty minutes to drive to this home.

When I got the call that it needed to be rescheduled, I smiled and said OK. Turned my truck around and headed to a Bass Pro Shop that was just down the road. I had been meaning to get by that store for about a week, so I turned lemons into lemonade. It all works out in the long run, sometimes you just have to swallow a little harder and smile.
    SP: The fact that you are a bit follicly challenged (how's that for my best shot at PC?), you have not yet arrived at Buddhahood. The Awakened One would not have been caught dead in a Bass Pro Shop.

The lemons-to-lemonade trick, though not actually performed by any deity wannabees that I'm aware of, is highly overrated. When someone gives me lemons I simply squirt them in their eyes.

If I arrive at an inspection and it is, for whatever reason, not happening as planned, it may very well be rescheduled; just not with me. Does the term "fool me once" have significance to you?

The amount one is being paid to perform any given task does not obviate their responsibility to insure that they are treated with respect during the duration of the task. The hackneyed term "professionalism" is not a catch-all intended to submit the practitioner thereof to any amount of disrespect from the end users of his skills. That particular use of the term is employed by the terminally PC.

Last edited by A.D. Miller; 03-24-2010 at 11:32 AM.

I find respect is a two way street. And not something to be demanded, but earned. I find it better to treat my clients with respect and understanding rather than to demand their respect. Just like I find it better to be working every day from client referrals than sitting home with an attitude.

Last edited by Ken Rowe; 03-24-2010 at 09:24 AM.

Thumbs up Re: Inspector attitudes

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    The lemons-to-lemonade trick, though not actually performed by any deity wannabees that I'm aware of, is highly overrated. When someone gives me lemons I simply squirt them in their eyes.
    Aaron, I laughed out loud at this. Funny stuff.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    I find respect is a two way street. And not something to be demanded, but earned. I find it better to treat my clients with respect and understanding rather than to demand their respect. Just like I find it better to be working every day from client referrals than sitting home with an attitude.
    KR: Emerson once said, "Men are respectable only as they respect." So then, respect is a two-way street, as you say. If you want mine, you begin by respecting me. Disrespect me, for whatever reason, and all bets are off.

Rene Torres added, "He who does not have the courage to speak up for his rights cannot earn the respect of others."

Further, Immanuel Kant stated, “Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them.”

What works for you is for you. It has never been my goal to become someone's doormat, nor shall I.

Finally, whatever possessed you to think that, because others do not believe as you believe, they are consigned to sit at home bemoaning the lack of business? Some of us may well be busier than even you claim to be.

A.D. Miller Guest

Aaron, I laughed out loud at this. Funny stuff.
    NO: My hairdresser, who incidentally is very well endowed, says that if life hands you lemons you put them in your bra . . . she may have been handed melons.

KR: Emerson once said, "Men are respectable only as they respect." So then, respect is a two-way street, as you say. If you want mine, you begin by respecting me. Disrespect me, for whatever reason, and all bets are off.

Finally, whatever possessed you to think that, because others do not believe as you believe, they are consigned to sit at home bemoaning the lack of business? Some of us may well be busier than even you claim to be.
    First, this thread and my comments are not directed at anyone, especially you.

Secondly, I think that way because there have been several members here doing just that, "bemoaning the lack of business" and they seem to be the same people who say they are undercut in price or they refuse the inspection for some reason or other.

As far as how busy I've been, it's been slow. I've only done 52 inspections so far this year. But, I still put in a minimum of 8 hours a day in administrative, marketing etc.

Terry Neyedli Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post

Scott:
    Bang on! I could not agree with you more.
    Treat the postphonment in stride.
    Lose on the merry-go-round and win on the round-about.

Terry Neyedli CHI
    www.alphahomeinspections.ca

Ted Menelly Guest

NO: My hairdresser, who incidentally is very well endowed, says that if life hands you lemons you put them in your bra . . . she may have been handed melons.
    Hmmmm

"My hairdresser"

Just don't sound right.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fritzkelly View Post
    Ted, you are assuming Aaron is a male. I know some women named Aaron. If you check AD's website there is a family picture but no indication of which person is the home inspector.
    FK: I can verify the rumor that I am all male, as you would soon find out if you questioned that fact in my presence . . . I go to a hairdresser because I refuse to have a man (barber) fiddling with my hair. That may be the kind of thing you are into, not me . . . The family picture on my site is a stock photo of generic people that my site designer chose. My picture is on the site too, but it is a bit outdated . . .

I do stop short of letting my hairdresser shave me, but not because I don't trust a woman with a razor (well, most women) - simply because I have a full beard.

Ted Menelly Guest

FK: I can verify the rumor that I am all male, as you would soon find out if you questioned that fact in my presence . . . I go to a hairdresser because I refuse to have a man (barber) fiddling with my hair. That may be the kind of thing you are into, not me . . . The family picture on my site is a stock photo of generic people that my site designer chose. My picture is on the site too, but it is a bit outdated . . .

I do stop short of letting my hairdresser shave me, but not because I don't trust a woman with a razor (well, most women) - simply because I have a full beard.

By the highlight you mean all gray, a little less hair and 50 or so pounds added on from all those margaritas and vino, not to mention all that Tex-Mex food under your belt

Ahhhhh....the Hair dresser thing.....most are men now a days

A.D. Miller Guest

Ahhhhh....the Hair dresser thing.....most are men now a days
    TM: Maybe in Fort Worth.