Pete Busch Guest

Default What is this device?

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, just found the site. Anyways can someone here tell me what the item is in the attached picture. The item I am referring to is in the smaller box next to the main panel labeled 200 in yellow letters. I have never seen this before, there is two meters outside and it appear this has something to do with it. I have never seen two meters on one house before and none of the other houses on that block had two meters like this.
    Thanks for looking
    Pete Busch

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Pete Busch; 03-24-2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
    Inspection Referral

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: What is this device?

It is an ABB current transformer.

As said already, it's a CT I would guess it has something to do w/ the 2nd WHM (cash register ) in the last picture.

Edit: My guess this gear is tied to the air conditioning & the box above the meter is for PoCo to remote control the A/C.

Pete Busch Guest

Ok, why is it there and what is its purpose?

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Busch View Post
    Ok, why is it there and what is its purpose?
    PB: Now you will have to wait on the sparkys for the rest of that answer. It is over my pay grade . . .

Last edited by A.D. Miller; 03-25-2010 at 05:18 AM.

Google "ABB Type CSF Transformer" and you get from ABB

The CSF is a miniature current transformer used for indoor and outdoor metering applications. Used with watthour meters, it is applicable to single or multiphase low voltage circuits. The CSF is used with flat and high bases and brackets such as the TMB-3.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    Google "ABB Type CSF Transformer" and you get from ABB

The CSF is a miniature current transformer used for indoor and outdoor metering applications. Used with watthour meters, it is applicable to single or multiphase low voltage circuits. The CSF is used with flat and high bases and brackets such as the TMB-3.
    I guess the question is (I know my question is), why is it used in this residential property? What was the need?

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    I guess the question is (I know my question is), why is it used in this residential property? What was the need?
    I would assume it is supplying a current value to a watt meter. Maybe someone checking the accuracy of the POCO meter? Or, measuring the power required on a specific circuit or device? The exact reason would require asking the owner of the property or POCO.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

James Duffin Guest

Did you happen to notice what the circuits feeding through the CT were supplying power to? That info may help understand why it is there.

dana1028 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    As said already, it's a CT I would guess it has something to do w/ the 2nd WHM (cash register ) in the last picture.

Edit: My guess this gear is tied to the air conditioning & the box above the meter is for PoCo to remote control the A/C.
    That sounds right - in my area the PoCo has a program to reduce your rates if you have one of these devices on your equipment; that way during peak periods the PoCo can cut power to certain areas of the city, certain types of loads, etc. - So, for 365 days a year you get a discounted PoCo rate in exchange for a couple of days [maybe] of reduced power to certain types of loads.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Peak demand cycling for AC or Heat pump Condensor and/or electric water heater, etc. "Load Management" program.

Transformer is part of the CT metering system.

P.S. Guess we don't need to say anything about the drywall/panel cabinet installation issues .

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 03-30-2010 at 05:46 AM. Reason: post script

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    P.S. Guess we don't need to say anything about the drywall/panel cabinet installation issues .
    That was left open so we could see the nail protector plate.

I know, it is not just the gap and space around the panel enclosure but the fact that the panel is set back in at or beyond the inner face of the drywall when the maximum recessed amount with gypsum board is 1/4", and ... ... it does extend out beyond the combustible stud ...

Be that as it may, it may be a good issue to discuss for those who are not aware of it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com