Default When in a bind -

First picture: Heat pump disconnect box in a crawl space
    Second picture: looks like what's left of a melted disconnect plug beneath it
    Third and fourth picture: I can hear it now, "Oh shoot, I don't have a replacement disconnect. BUT WAIT! I don't need one! There are circuit breaker switches on front of the air handler. I can just splice the wires!"

Not only did the repair person use a standard wire nut on Aluminum cable but since the wire nuts wouldn't fit the splice, the village idiot cut wire strands from each cable end to make it fit! We're talking a 60 AMP circuit here folks on the equivalent of maybe #8 or #10 wire.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Default Re: When in a bind -

stuart,
    very impressive display of crapmanship and improvisation! but does it still function?

Default Re: When in a bind -

Quote Originally Posted by brian schmitt View Post
    stuart,
    very impressive display of crapmanship and improvisation! but does it still function?
    You know, that's a good question. It was pretty warm here on the day of inspection so the auxiliary coil wouldn't be used at the lower setting of the thermostat. I turned to AC mode just long enough to see if the system was cooling. If there is any continuity in the wires, I imagine things get interesting in that box when heat coil turns on. The sellers apparently weren't spending much time in the house this winter and the heat was set to around 50 degrees when I got there. They may have not noticed if the heating for the main floor wasn't working well.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA