Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 10 Things Home Inspectors Won't Tell You - Smartmoney.com

This was from today. I'm just gonna start my own leaky pan thread...

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Ted,
    Get a grip on your self.
    You seem to have lost all sense of humor and seem to be on edge.
    Maybe you are focusing to much on you phone.
    Maybe the phone is fine, but it is your hearing.
    Better yet it may be speaking in tongues..

Tom Camp Guest

sure sounds like she has a problem with Home Inspectors.

I can't say that it has ever happened before, but on THIS issue, I agree with Ted. His method is the best for testing the shower pan, and if there is a leak, it is no fault of his. The same thing can easily happen if a washcloth covers the drain while the water is running.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim E. Adams View Post
    I can't say that it has ever happened before, but on THIS issue, I agree with Ted. His method is the best for testing the shower pan, and if there is a leak, it is no fault of his. The same thing can easily happen if a washcloth covers the drain while the water is running.
    Roger that...

If truely, the better inspection (inspector) is the one that provides more information, how can anybody say testing a pan is the wrong thing to do?

Every plumbing fixture should be tested; the shower pan is just another fixture. Plumbing fixtures are not supposed to leak, should be able to hold water, and drain under the load.

I feel bad (but not guilty) when something fails and makes a mess... even a little mess. But as bad as I feel about the mess, I feel better about being able do for my client exactly what he hired me to do. I bet if we checked our websites, it says something about providing our clients with information so they can make an informed decision.

Not too long ago when testing a bathtub, sink, and flushed toilet simultaneously, we revealed that although the newly remodled bathroom was tied into the original 2" galvanized waste. I felt bad when the tub fillled with shards of rust. The buyer, seller, and agent were standing right there when it happened. The thought of anything being my "fault" never came into play.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Turetsky View Post
    If truely, the better inspection (inspector) is the one that provides more information, how can anybody say testing a pan is the wrong thing to do?

Every plumbing fixture should be tested; the shower pan is just another fixture. Plumbing fixtures are not supposed to leak, should be able to hold water, and drain under the load.

I feel bad (but not guilty) when something fails and makes a mess... even a little mess. But as bad as I feel about the mess, I feel better about being able do for my client exactly what he hired me to do. I bet if we checked our websites, it says something about providing our clients with information so they can make an informed decision.

Not too long ago when testing a bathtub, sink, and flushed toilet simultaneously, we revealed that although the newly remodled bathroom was tied into the original 2" galvanized waste. I felt bad when the tub fillled with shards of rust. The buyer, seller, and agent were standing right there when it happened. The thought of anything being my "fault" never came into play.
    Agreed..

As I've stated previously the issue isn't whether or not to test the shower pan, it's the method of testing. Utilizing a shower pan testing plug is not normal operating conditions. Nobody has offered any technical bulletin which shows this is an acceptable procedure. The one post referring to an ASHI article states the testing is intrusive.

These "leaks" may never occur at all if a shower pan tester is not used during an inspection, therefore they would never be a problem.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12