Default Is this legit, or another lawyer get rich scam?

I recieved this question [ below] from a new home customer, and told him I would ask the thousands of experts here..
    Is this something that could be legit, or just another law firm looking to get rich off homeowners?

" Our Homeowners Association (xxxxxxx, AZ) has filed a claim against the developer for soils contamination due to sulfates. We received a letter stating that a geotechnical engineer has inspected the area and confirmed high levels of sulfates. He has also inspected numerous homes and confirmed widespread damages to foundations and flatwork due to sulfate attack.

From what I have Googled about this, the concrete and construction industry feels these lawsuits are frivolous, homeowners with damage do not. The letter indicates that the developer/builders did not take the precautions necessary with proper concrete mixture ratios, etc when they knew that the area was high in sulfates. "

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Default Re: Is this legit, or another lawyer get rich scam?

Hey, the legal profession is always looking for a new money train. I have not heard about this, but you might contact Scott Warga. He always has his ear to the tracks about most of the legal issue out in your neck of the woods. FYI, tell him that you will sponsor him for his 50 mile charity bike ride that is coming up soon!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Hey, the legal profession is always looking for a new money train. I have not heard about this, but you might contact Scott Warga. He always has his ear to the tracks about most of the legal issue out in your neck of the woods. FYI, tell him that you will sponsor him for his 50 mile charity bike ride that is coming up soon!
    Thats a good idea.
    I'm not sure about him doing bike rides, last I heard he, and his wallet were hurting from just practicing,

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Neil Moore Guest

If these new homes were built according a the current International Building Code which references the ACI 318 code which has Table 4.3.1 – “Requirements for Concrete Exposed to Sulphate-Containing Solutions” :

Depending upon the classification of the sulfate exposure (should be in the geotechs report), the concrete mix should have been at least a water/cement ratio of .50 and the minimum concrete strength should have been 4000 psi. If the sulfate exposure is “Very Severe”, then the cement type should be Type V plus pozzolan, a water cement ratio of .45 and the concrete strength 4,500 psi.

We have done a lot of work in Las Vegas and all of the footings had to be 4,000 psi concrete and a .5 water/cement ratio per the building department.

Neil Moore, SE
    Neil Moore & Associates | Distressed Structures Investigations and Solutions