Default Mystery Black Box

Does anybody know what this small black box is attached to the condensing unit. It is about the size of a pack of cards/cigarettes. It has two red l.e.d. lights on it.

I don't know if this had anything to do with the device, but the unit would turn on/off on it's own throughout the inspection even though the thermostat was set to it's lowest setting.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Matthew Barnicle; 03-26-2010 at 02:27 AM. Reason: add photo
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Mystery Black Box

Sorry, here is the photo

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

David Bell Guest

Need to know what it is wired to. Contactor? Pressure switch?

Some electrical utilities companyies have a program that permits them to cycle residential condensing units on and off to shave demand peaks off of the grid. In Utah-in my area the electrical company offers a one time "gift", like $25 or something to permit them to install this on your condensing unit.

In fact the State legislators have been working on a program to force home owners to do this.

Never have seen one myself. Just curious if it could be some type of alarm device in case someone was attempting to steal the unit. I've heard of such devices but have yet to come across one in the field. I understand that one of the larger alarm protection service companies have such a device.

Just a thought.

rick

Yes, part of the alarm system was an afterthought I had when I left the inspection. I also wondered if it was shutting down the unit anytime a door was open for any length of time...there was an alarm at the house and the keypad did beep as is typical when doors and windows were opened. I have seen such devices on hotel room doors/windows, but wouldn't think anyone would put it on their own home.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Chuck Lambert Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Butler View Post
    Some electrical utilities companyies have a program that permits them to cycle residential condensing units on and off to shave demand peaks off of the grid. In Utah-in my area the electrical company offers a one time "gift", like $25 or something to permit them to install this on your condensing unit.

In fact the State legislators have been working on a program to force home owners to do this.
    The ones I see around here from the utility companies are much more sofisticated looking and are actually attached to the unit. The power conduit enters and exits the unit so the utility company can shut it down at any time.

Chuck

maybe its a lightning surge protector?

looks like the ones you mount on a electrical panel

David Bell Guest

Having the 2 red lights on it I'd have to think it's a tattle tale device that could monitor system pressure and notify a tech to intermittant problems. It could be wired to the high and low pressure switches.