Thread: Chimney

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Chimney

I called this out as being too large. What are your thoughts.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Chimney

The biggest problem I can think of is wind uplift. Those things seem to have enough trouble staying in place even when they're tight.

I can't think of a code or other requirement although there may be one..... I'd just voice my concern and explain the potential problem.

Question Re: Chimney

It must be top-nailed, which will result in leaks. That huge overhang will be noisy and can allow water penetration. However, my greatest concern would be if this is an unlisted shroud, which would then be a fire hazard.

What brand/ model/ type fireplace terminates into this shroud and is it listed?
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

mathew stouffer Guest

Bob,
    I have given up on those shrouds. 95 percent of the home out here have them, the AHJ' allow it.

Exclamation shrouds and AHJs

Matthew, if it is unlisted then it is a code violation and a fire hazard regardless what the AHJ says. Cover yourself and continue flagging them. They DO cause chase fires!

The first time you let one slip, you will get nailed for it and the fact that your AHJs look the other way won't help you a bit.

AHJs cannot legally minimize a code.

I know Dale Feb has been spending a LOT of time recently investigating unfriendly fires in Utah related to fireplaces and chimneys. Hmmmm.

Bob

David Bell Guest

I can't believe anybody would want a monstrosity like that on thier home. Looks like 2 zip screws holding each corner together, what a piece of crap!

That thing is just ugly.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post

That thing is just ugly.
    Only in the Eye of the Beholder.
    * and I'm Beholding.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    ...my greatest concern would be if this is an unlisted shroud, which would then be a fire hazard.

What brand/ model/ type fireplace terminates into this shroud and is it listed?
    Bob
    OK I have a stupid question, why is an unlisted shroud a fire hazard?

How am I to know which shrouds I can use with which FP?

...I guess that is two stupid questions.

Cool Re: Chimney

Shrouds tend to trap heat at the top of the chimney. Since the top of a chase is made of combustible framing and other combustibles, prolonged excessive heat results in fires. It also can interfere with cooling air causing ignition down at a factory built fireplace. Turbulence from wind can cause a backup of flue gases resulting in spillage of smoke and CO into the home.

About all you can do as a home inspector is record a few pics then try to locate the listed instructions to see if the illustration there matches the shroud you shot. Otherwise, you can simply defer to a qualified hearth pro and state in your report the shroud is an open question.

HTH

chris mcintyre Guest

Shrouds tend to trap heat at the top of the chimney. Since the top of a chase is made of combustible framing and other combustibles, prolonged excessive heat results in fires. It also can interfere with cooling air causing ignition down at a factory built fireplace. Turbulence from wind can cause a backup of flue gases resulting in spillage of smoke and CO into the home.
    Thank you.

About all you can do as a home inspector is record a few pics then try to locate the listed instructions to see if the illustration there matches the shroud you shot. Otherwise, you can simply defer to a qualified hearth pro and state in your report the shroud is an open question.
    As a builder (I'm not a HI) am I looking in the FP instructions or shroud specs for compatibility.

Let me ask this another way, should I be able to find "FP xx,xx,xx is compatible with shroud xx,xx,xx" or vice versa, or is it "this FP requires a shroud that......"

The reason I ask is that the shroud has just started gaining popularity in my area. On the most recent home where a shroud was used, the company that installed the FP and the company that installed the shroud was not the same (the shroud was an extra that the homeowner had installed). This is all new to me and if I knew where to start I could go from there.

Cool Re: Chimney

The only shrouds listed for use with a fireplace are illustrated in the back of the manual or provided in separate literature directly from the mfr. Some now have kits and specs that are supposedly listed. These shrouds do not bear a listing mark but may meet the specs. The burden is upon the shroud installer to prove their shroud is listed. If they cannot prove this, the shroud must some off. Fireplaces themselves do not require shrouds but they are options. FYI, it is very rare for a sheetmetal fabricator to mfr. a listed shroud.

HTH,
    Bob

chris mcintyre Guest

The only shrouds listed for use with a fireplace are illustrated in the back of the manual or provided in separate literature directly from the mfr. Some now have kits and specs that are supposedly listed. These shrouds do not bear a listing mark but may meet the specs. The burden is upon the shroud installer to prove their shroud is listed. If they cannot prove this, the shroud must some off. Fireplaces themselves do not require shrouds but they are options. FYI, it is very rare for a sheetmetal fabricator to mfr. a listed shroud.

HTH,
    Bob
    This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again.