Default New lead law going into effect April 22

I know this was signed into law 3/2008; however, it becomes enforceable next month. I have not heard any of the home inspectors comment on this so I'm beginning the thread.

I've heard that home owners (or sellers) would be looking at a remediation cost of 10% of the cost of the home.

Region 5 Lead Awareness | US EPA

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Default Re: New lead law going into effect April 22

This law has a lot to do with remodeling, but I wasn't aware of any thing for buyers and sellers, other than the usual. Now, if you are buying an older house and planning on remodeling it, then it would affect you. 10% of the house's price is just not even relevant to anything. The EPA law is only applicable to pre-1978 structures undergoing a remodel or renovation, as far as I can tell.

As far as I know, there is still an opt out clause if the house is not occupied by children under six or a pregnant woman, but they are talking about removing that pretty soon. The big question is who enforces it, and who checks to make sure that the contractors have been certified by the program. I don't know any contractors in my area who are certified yet.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

A contractor friend of mine was the one who told me about it. The local Builder's Association hosted a school and he attended and got certified.

According to that link, the seller is not responsible for testing. However, I don't think that is the information circulating around here.

Has anyone else more on this subject?

Richard Soundy Guest

Here in California (and some areas of Florida I believe..) they implemented a law effective this year Jan. 1, 2010 that all brass fixtures for potable water has to contain <0.003% (the exact number is only from memory - I am getting old) lead. It was strange, because it was not the usual case of suppliers and distributors allowed to move existing stock, it became effective on every sale occurring for these specific components.

Was it a big deal? Yes, especially from the manufacturers side! Brass fixtures generally contained up to 8% lead specifically for machining purposes. It meant new materials, complete re-tooling and in many cases new machinery.

Yes, the "Terminator" implemented this law without consultation with the Plumbers (origin being Lead = Pb.) Union or clear cost effects ..... just another law because it is good for the people!

Regards - Richard

There is an “opt-out” clause if you qualify. The sale of a home would be difficult if the buyers have young children. I can see young couple driving the purchase price to cover the cost of abatement.

Personally, if I had young kids, I wouldn't look at old houses.

Think of the liability now for people who have rental properties.

http://www.tylerareabuilders.com/sit...tFactSheet.pdf

http://www.tylerareabuilders.com/sit...ntTimeLine.pdf

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    This law has a lot to do with remodeling, but I wasn't aware of any thing for buyers and sellers, other than the usual.
    FWIW, This was sent to me by a realtor.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images