Talking Here is another shim job..seriously though

Today's inspection brings me to a house that has undergone a professional lifetime warranty structural repair. The home exhibits signs for typical cracking on the outside, which has been sealed with some type of caulking. The underside however is where the so called repair work was completed. The home sits on a slope....well look at the pictures and you tell me. How would you describe this? A contractor, so to speak is giving this client a LIFETIME transferable warranty for this work. How would you culminate all of these issues into a concise statement. The door and the window are above the repaired area. Recommend Structural engineer to evaluate the repair and recommend corrective action???

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    David D. Whitt
    1st Steps Home Inspections

Default Re: Here is another shim job..seriously though

When whoever did those repairs offered a lifetime warranty, they probably meant that if there was ever a problem they would come back & kill them.

Clarksville Home Inspection
    JW Goad
    TN License #307 | KY License #2402

It's time to find out how good that lifetime warranty is. (My guess is "not very".)

Dave,

Why did you up and leave the Pikes Peak area? You're missing Springtime In The Rockies. You missed the 8" of snow Tuesday night and you missed another inch today.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Breedlove View Post
    It's time to find out how good that lifetime warranty is. (My guess is "not very".)

Dave,

Why did you up and leave the Pikes Peak area? You're missing Springtime In The Rockies. You missed the 8" of snow Tuesday night and you missed another inch today.
    I know. My dad still lives in the springs and he gives me the updates. It is different down here...or is it over here. I guess bad building techniques are the same everywhere. Oh, the deck on this house is just as bad...Thanks for posting.
    They ran the framing parallel with the house and the deck undulates because the mid span support posts are on non compacted fill.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    David D. Whitt

Would I be correct that permits are not required in that area?

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Yes. and this house is WAY out in the County. It boarders a Park/campground.

David D. Whitt

Quote Originally Posted by David D. Whitt View Post
    Yes. and this house is WAY out in the County. It boarders a Park/campground.
    Got termites? I'd mention the wood in contact with soil. Those look like temporary props under the house, carrying most of the weight.

Funny-looking doorway.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Talking Re: Here is another shim job..seriously though

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Got termites? I'd mention the wood in contact with soil. Those look like temporary props under the house, carrying most of the weight.

Funny-looking doorway.
    The doorway was part of the repair.?! I found a diagonal crack starting at the top left of the header that hasn't broke the surface yet.
    As far as the supports, you got something against untreated would in contact with the earth that happens to be under pressure by the beam above it.

David D. Whitt

It's a hack job by Bubba and Company!

I would say something like this:
    The foundation repairs that I found at this home do not follow good building or construction practices. My recommendation is for a qualified foundation contractor to inspect, design and make the needed corrections. If this is not done, I can guarantee that this home will experience future foundation problems.

I put a similar statement in a report just last week. I think the same contractor came up this way by the looks of things!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Multiple areas of improper and unprofessional repairs noted in crawlspace (shimming with scrap materials also noted) - have serviced by a foundation repair professional and all repairs made as needed

Uh Dave,

The house structure goes without saying, but, along with the deck 'footing' and posts, the deck beams are wrong.

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Hey, c'mon, lighten up guys...at least treated wood was used for the shims! Ha!

Beacon Inspection Services
    Proudly Serving the Greater Henderson and Las Vegas Valley Area in Southern Nevada!
    Like Beacon On Facebook

Neil Moore Guest

If this house is founded on soil that has some clay in it, then the interior footings will move up and down forever, depending upon amount of moisture is in the soil. The first thing one might do is contact a geotechnical engineer and have him determine whether there is differential movement going on. Don’t have the client spend anymore money on repairs until the possible soil movement is resolved.

Neil Moore, SE, SECB

I'd be curious to see as to whether the warranty was written in crayon.