Emily Long Guest

Default Crawlspace moisture issues

Hello All,
    New to the forum and in desperate need of some good information or where to seek it. We live in Santa Rosa, CA and we have clay soil in our area. Bottom-line I am trying to find the best way and the best professional to contact to help us correct our moisture issues in the crawlspace.

We bought our house 8 months ago and have been through 1 winter (rainy season). During the buying/inspection process wood boring beetles, fungus, and an improperly installed/functioning sump pump were identified. The house was tented and before it was tented a 2mil liner was placed. We also had a general contractor fix the sump pump issues (not deep enough, back flow valve broken). We also had some of the piers and other parts of the crawlspace scraped and treated with Timbor. Now that we have gone through 1 rainy season we wanted to know if what was done was controlling the moisture. This has been a real thorn in our sides. We REALLY want to be sure we fix the moisture and are prepared to invest $$ to make sure. We had an inspection by a company that installs clean crawlspace products (complete encapsulation). Of course they recommended the works. What they did not address/evaluate were any drainage issues/trenching, etc. They also said the liner was not done correctly (in strips instead of wrapped around our posts & piers), there was a ton of debris under the house, and that the sump pump was still not correct. The contractor we hired put it in a five galloon bucket and drilled 14 holes into it to allow the water to come in. The crawlspace company also said the float was wedged against the side of the bucket and wouldn't trip. Now I don't know to believe all they say because they wanted t sell us a new sump pump as well. There was an area under the back of the house that had a higher water stain and the ground was wet - to me this says this area might be lower - but am not a professional.

We really want someone to come and evaluate the whole area and make educated recommendations. Like I said we are really to invest $$ to make sure this problem is taken care of. Maybe we need grading, trenching, etc. What kind of professional to I contact for this?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Crawlspace moisture issues

It sounds like you have good business sense and a true desire to solve your problem correctly but not the technical knowledge to know what people are trying to sell you.

If you don't have access to someone to look out for you, consider hiring an HI from your area to do a limited scope inspection. Personally, I'd charge a couple hundred bucks to come out and look at the problem and give you my advice (complete with taking pictures of what's going with the pump and anything else related). I can't speak for people in your area but it shouldn't be much more than that.

Basically, every contractor has a vested interest in you having a problem..... so they can sell you something. An HI has nothing to gain or lose so, if you don't have a knowledgeable relative or friend, rent one

I'm not trying to be cheesy and just tout my profession.... there's just not a lot of impartial people out there.

As for what you describe.... getting the moisture/water out of the crawl space once it comes in is important but of much greater importance is keeping it out in the first place.

You mention wet soil near the house? Have you addressed any grading or water collection issues? How about roof runoff.... are the gutters functional and routed into drains? In my experience 95% or more crawl space and basement water problems are due to grading issues and/or gutter and roof runoff issues. Everything you do in the crawl space is reactive as opposed to proactive.

Ron Bibler Guest

Hi Emily... You can call my office if you like I can help you with your problems. I live and work in your area.

Best

Ron Bibler
    EXCELLENCE HOME/BUILDING INSPECTION SERVICE
    Santa Rosa California Home Inspection - Exterminating & Thermal Imaging
    EXCELLENCE EXTERMINATING CO INC
    Santa Rosa Termite & Pest Control - Inspector & Exterminator
    707-570-2000

Emily Long Guest

Smile Re: Crawlspace moisture issues

Thanks guys.
    We may have some grading issues as this was noted on the Home inspection when we bought. The gutters seem to be in OK condition. There is some losening (from the house) and we are not sure how to tell if there is a clog after they go into the ground. I never thought about grading and it was never emphasized in our inspections - now I know better! Seems like people point out a little problem here or there but don't put 2 and 2 together to indicate a BIG problem.

Ron - Are you able to evaluate the whole problem and give us recommendations on exactly what needs done? Does your company then give us referrals to good contractors?

Thanks again for your time!
    Emily

Emily,

Good call on the clean crawlspace company. There are several franchises out there with very polished presentations. They are expensive and will do a good job which in my opinion is usually 110% more than what most people need. Most of the time they will be very critical of other contractors work regardless of whether it is doing the job or not.

Most home inspectors have no biases and will give you a straight opinion on the issues and causes. Most also know area contractors and who will do a good job at a reasonable price.

Get another opinion,

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Emily Long View Post
    Ron - Are you able to evaluate the whole problem and give us recommendations on exactly what needs done? Does your company then give us referrals to good contractors?

Thanks again for your time!
    Emily
    Hi Emily... Yes I can help you in every step of the way with any condition you may have.

A very good contractor to call is Gary Ottinger. G.O. Const. 415-328-6373 His office is in Rohnert Park.

12 years working with Gary and no problems... always a good report back form people.

Best

Ron Bibler
    EXCELLENCE HOME/BUILDING INSPECTION SERVICE
    Santa Rosa California Home Inspection - Exterminating & Thermal Imaging
    EXCELLENCE EXTERMINATING CO INC
    Santa Rosa Termite & Pest Control - Inspector & Exterminator
    707-570-2000