Thread: Is this Mold?

Timothy Mines Guest

Default Is this Mold?

I'm inspecting a house that's been sitting empty for approx. two years. In the attic there is a serious lack of insulation and I beleive I'm seeing mold on the structural members. Can anyone confirm this? I just recommeded to have a mold inspection done.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Is this Mold?

I don't think th browN stuff on the framing is... that looks like wood sap. But the inside of that gable end. See the white stuff. that could be a mould. Do you have a better photo?

Best

Ron

Timothy Mines Guest

Thanks for the response Ron,

The white looking thing is actually the screen over the vent. The texture is like a dry powder.
    This was the best photo I had and they all look pretty much the same.

Thanks Again

Doesn't really look like it to me. Did you do the taste test?

Timothy Mines Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    Doesn't really look like it to me. Did you do the taste test?

I thought about it. That was going to be my next course of action

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Mines View Post
    I thought about it. That was going to be my next course of action
    I think your next course of action should be to get out more.

It is normal to see a bit of staining on wood. Check out a lumberyard where they stack wood outside. That type of stain normally dies off when the wood gets covered up.
    Problem mould (mold) in an attic will be on the sheathing, the coldest surface, and there should be no doubt when you see it. Old, poorly insulated houses are LESS likely to get attic mold problems, at least in this area. Do some research, and look at lots of attic pictures.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Timothy Mines Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I think your next course of action should be to get out more.

It is normal to see a bit of staining on wood. Check out a lumberyard where they stack wood outside. That type of stain normally dies off when the wood gets covered up.
    Problem mould (mold) in an attic will be on the sheathing, the coldest surface, and there should be no doubt when you see it. Old, poorly insulated houses are LESS likely to get attic mold problems, at least in this area. Do some research, and look at lots of attic pictures.

Thanks for the response. The learning never stops that's for sure. Just something i'd never seen before. Thanks again.