imported_John Smith Guest

Default Advice on a fence issue at my residence - AlvinTx

Been having an issue with my back fence adjacent to a utility easement behind it (electrical lines). There is also a city sewer inside my property line ~10' from the fence. Have always had an issue with the fence leaning and lately it seems that its always somewhat muddy on the surface and a large tree (~2' in diameter) next to the sewer line easement is leaning a little.

While trying to dig new fence post holes, the holes will fill up with water overnight and trying to dig in it is like the stickiest mud you could ever imagine.

Im thinking there is likely a leak somewhere in the cities sewer line that is causing this muddy mess.

Any suggestions? I was thinking about calling the city out to look at it, but figure they will probably say there is nothing wrong with their sewer line.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Advice on a fence issue at my residence - AlvinTx

Call the city and have them look at it. You can also get a plumbing contractor to drop a video camera into the sewer line and take a look. But that will probably cost you $200-300.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Ron Bibler Guest

John,

We have the same problems with the soil here in Rockwall. Due to having numerous underground springs in our neighborhood, you can dig a hole and litterally watch it fill with the clearest water in just a short time.

When I replaced my fence, I just filled the fence posts holes I drilled out to 3ft. in depth with Sak-Krete and within a few hours it had set up.

rick

Take a sample of the water down to the health department for analysis. They should be able to tell you if it is sewer water or not.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

I would have to think you'd smell it if it's a sewer leak but can't say for sure. I've had pretty good luck dealing with my local city with similar things. I have a similar easment running through my backyard and uncovered a pipe while digging recently and they were happy to come out and check things out. Of course, every city is different but I'd at least start there.

If you have a lab test it and it contains fecal matter then you call a local tv news station and the health department at the same time. The pipe will get repaired.

Philip Guest

If this is the only part of your property that is doing this then there is a pipe busted somewhere. It is probably not sewage, I have never been around sewer water that did not stink. Hopefully your city has a sanitary line and a fresh water line. Call the sewer people and you'll have a backhole out there in no time to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    ... and you'll have a backhole out there in no time to fix it.
    Backhole?

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Philip Guest

Just seeing if anyone is really reading.

imported_John Smith Guest

Thanks for the advice guys.

Rick, did the fence stay upright? The old posts I extracted still had all the concrete attached to them in a cone shaped pattern with the point of the cone at the bottom of the hole. I only went down ~2' when I set them a few years ago. Someone told me 3' and bell shaped at the bottom and I wouldnt have any problems even if they had standing water in them. Just digging this stuff is terrible though. It literally sticks to the shovel and has the consistency of wet concrete (very heavy to move for an old man like me).

Call me skeptical bout that (3' and bell shaped at the bottom and I wouldnt have any problems even if they had standing water in them.) though.

The water does stink, but not like sewage. More like old standing water.
    I figured by the time the water filtered through the soil to the post holes, the stink would be gone even if it was sewer water.

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Rick, did the fence stay upright? The old posts I extracted still had all the concrete attached to them in a cone shaped pattern with the point of the cone at the bottom of the hole. I only went down ~2' when I set them a few years ago. Someone told me 3' and bell shaped at the bottom and I wouldnt have any problems even if they had standing water in them. Just digging this stuff is terrible though. It literally sticks to the shovel and has the consistency of wet concrete (very heavy to move for an old man like me).

Call me skeptical bout that (3' and bell shaped at the bottom and I wouldnt have any problems even if they had standing water in them.) though.

The water does stink, but not like sewage. More like old standing water.
    I figured by the time the water filtered through the soil to the post holes, the stink would be gone even if it was sewer water.
    Yep, it is still straight. Smiling Bob would be proud.