Ron Bishop Guest

Default Concrete tile installation screwup?

Attached are pics of a concrete tile roof on a structure that was built in 1992. For some reason several tiles on the upper courses are sliding, and it appears that they may not be attached. There are also pics of other defects. I am concerned that these tiles may have been installed incorrectly, and that the whole installation job may have to be redone. Any thoughts?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Concrete tile installation screwup?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bishop View Post
    Attached are pics of a concrete tile roof on a structure that was built in 1992. For some reason several tiles on the upper courses are sliding, and it appears that they may not be attached. There are also pics of other defects. I am concerned that these tiles may have been installed incorrectly, and that the whole installation job may have to be redone. Any thoughts?
    Ron,

That is fairly typical of tile roofs in my area. The tiles have little tabs at the top that hang on a batten that is nailed to the roof sheathing. At the peak and along hips, these tabs are cut off, leaving no way for the tiles to remain in place. I believe that the roofers should drill holes in the tiles so they can be nailed directly (carefully) to the roof sheathing, but this is rarely done (at least around here).

Generally, roofers will smear some asphalt roof cement around and stick-up the tile to it. The best correction is to drill a hole at the top edge, remove the ridge/hip caps and nail the tiles down so they do not become loose again.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Ron Bishop Guest

That is good news. I inspected this structure for my daughter and son in law, who are thinking about purchasing it. Thank you kindly

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    I believe that the roofers should drill holes in the tiles so they can be nailed directly (carefully) to the roof sheathing, but this is rarely done (at least around here).
    Being aware that doing so will likely cause a roof leak as the screws are not sealed properly ...

Generally, roofers will smear some asphalt roof cement around and stick-up the tile to it.
    The above is why they try it this way.

From the one photo, it looks like the tile underlayment has seen its better days, and was not much to start with.

By chance were the flashings 'on top' of the tile? If so, that is a System One tile roof, mechanically fastened, and THE TILE is the waterproof covering, meaning the every broken and cracked tile IS a roof leak. Also, if a System One tile roof, either Sealed or Unsealed type, they typically have a life of about 10 years or less from what I've seen - how old it the house.

What I always told my clients is that, in 5,000 years they will be doing an archaeological dig where the house was and find the concrete tile still intact, especially clay tile, but the house underneath rotted out due to water leaks ... meaning that it is a complete shame to take concrete or clay tile and then skimp on the installation of it to the point that it needs to be replaced in 10 years or so, when with the right underlayment and installation, possibly costing half-again more, the tile roof might last 40-50 years or more.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

john_opwin Guest

Take all tiles out of roof those are creating slipping and then attach concrete.

Aburnell Guest

I have never seen a roof like that.

Last edited by Aburnell; 04-13-2010 at 06:54 PM.

john_opwin Guest

Yeah! All tiles are in bad condition. You should get change soon.