Steven Stafford Guest

Default Lead Safe Renovations and Contractors

I thought I would post a fresh thread on this topic since the deadline for compliance looms just overhead.
    For those of you who may not know, April 22 2010 is the deadline for contractors to be certified and comply with the EPA's Lead Safe Work Practices. Firms doing any contracting work (that disturbs a painted surface) in a home constructed before 1978 will have a lot more to handle soon. Bad news for the guy's who run their company from the front seat of their pickup.
    Questions;
    How many of you guy's are certified for the lead testing / inspections? How many of you plan to be in the near future? Do you plan on adding the term "Lead Safe Certified Contractor" to your recommendations blurb in your reports?

Small Entity Compliance Guide to Renovate Right
    EPA's Lead Based Paint Renovation, Repair and Painting Program

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Lead Safe Renovations and Contractors

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Stafford View Post
    I thought I would post a fresh thread on this topic since the deadline for compliance looms just overhead.
    For those of you who may not know, April 22 2010 is the deadline for contractors to be certified and comply with the EPA's Lead Safe Work Practices. Firms doing any contracting work (that disturbs a painted surface) in a home constructed before 1978 will have a lot more to handle soon. Bad news for the guy's who run their company from the front seat of their pickup.
    Questions;
    How many of you guy's are certified for the lead testing / inspections? How many of you plan to be in the near future? Do you plan on adding the term "Lead Safe Certified Contractor" to your recommendations blurb in your reports?

Small Entity Compliance Guide to Renovate Right
    EPA's Lead Based Paint Renovation, Repair and Painting Program
    I think we need to leave anything that has to do with lead to the folks that specialize in it. For the average home inspector it is just too much expense to deal with becoming licensed to deal with lead.

My state requires me to place a disclaimer in my contract that states that I'm not looking for lead, asbestos, mold, etc, etc, etc or any environmental issues. That is about as close as I'm going to get to telling folks anyting about lead.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Milton Grew Guest

Default Re: Lead Safe Renovations and Contractors

Last week I took the 8-hour training and am now a Certified Renovator. I have a lot of thoughts about this program and questions that will have to wait until we work thru a few projects to see how they really work. I am troubled by the implications of this program going into effect during a real downtime in the residential remodeling business. I am sure that a few of these things will happen:
    1) discourage some homeowners because of added cost, time, and inability to use some spaces while project is ongoing,
    2) certified renovators getting beaten out of a lot of work by uncertified contractors,
    3) lack of enforcement,
    4) certified renovators still not really knowing what they are doing because the 8 hr course only scratches the surface and they won't read the book,
    4) homeowners doing their own demolition or paint prep work duirng which time they can make all the lead dust they want and then calling in the contractors, and I can go on and on.

Like most Federal regulations this will be very unevenly enforced and practiced until such time as the requirements work their way into the model building codes so that local inspectors know what to look for or expect from contractors on Lead RRP jobs.