Default Asbestos test requested for mobile home

A Client just contacted me via e-mail and asked if I could do a asbestos inspection for the demolition of a mobile home, (the landfill requires testing to be done so it knows if there is asbestos in the debris). I am not certified in asbestos inspections, should I refer her to someone else or can I do the inspection anyway? What are the risks? Where should I look for asbestos, in the sheet rock, attic, ceiling tile, under the floor (are a few of the places I thought of)? Any help and advise is appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Asbestos test requested for mobile home

"A Client just contacted me via e-mail and asked if I could do a asbestos inspection for the demolition of a mobile home, (the landfill requires testing to be done so it knows if there is asbestos in the debris). I am not certified in asbestos inspections, should I refer her to someone else or can I do the inspection anyway? What are the risks? Where should I look for asbestos, in the sheet rock, attic, ceiling tile, under the floor (are a few of the places I thought of)? Any help and advise is appreciated."

Why are you even asking?
    You said yourself that your not qualified:
    not certified and don't know where to look
    NO don't do it.

You ask "What are the risk".
    Lets start with
    You don't report asbestos when it is present.
    Now asbestos dust is spread all over the neighborhood, roads, and at the landfill.

You do report there is is asbestos when there is none, costing someone thousands of dollars to properly dispose of it.

You get fined
    Possible even jailed for endangering the public.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

I sent the referral today. It was the right thing to do. I just wanted to know from someone who has done one if it is an easy inspection to learn to do? This is the second time someone has asked about this kind of inspection in 2 months.

"I sent the referral today. "

Thats good.

" I just wanted to know from someone who has done one if it is an easy inspection to learn to do? "

Ask who you referred it to if you can go along.
    You still will not be allowed to do inspections, but you can learn a lot.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Way back when I took my training to get my EPA certification in asbestos, I think the classes were 40 hours, then a test. It may have changed. I know the manual was in a 3", 3 ring binder.

I suppose you could take a sample of every material that could be asbestos-loaded in to a lab for testing, then use their findings to report to the client. This way you are offering a viable service but letting the lab make the call.
    Some testing, like attic insulation, the lab may want to do themselves. I'd start by finding a testing lab in your area. Nope, it's not something I'm keen to try.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca