George Krause Guest

Default Dishwasher Breaker Cannot Trip

So here is a photo of a brace that does not allow the dishwasher breaker to trip. That seems unsafe to me, and contrary to the purpose of circuit breakers, yet I see it a couple of times a month. Any good explanations?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Dishwasher Breaker Cannot Trip

george,
    think lock!

Quote Originally Posted by George Krause View Post
    So here is a photo of a brace that does not allow the dishwasher breaker to trip. That seems unsafe to me, and contrary to the purpose of circuit breakers, yet I see it a couple of times a month. Any good explanations?
    George,

The trip is internal. The handle will not show the tripped breaker, but will not prevent tripping. This is a lockout device. It will prevent turning it off, if it is locked. It will also prevent turning it on if the breaker handle is turned-off and the lockout device is placed over/around the breaker handle and locked.

I have never seen one of these on a dishwasher. I typically see them on alarm circuits.

Last edited by Gunnar Alquist; 03-31-2010 at 04:08 PM.
    Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

The bar won't stop the breaker from tripping. Now the bar will keep them from resetting it though!

That breaker lock serves to ensure that no one turns the DW breaker on when being worked on. This is instead of a disconnect mounted within sight of the unit.

As others have said the breaker can still trip.