Randy King Guest

Default Your Opinion, Code Reference

So I had an HI over the Easter weekend and looked over a 100amp Square D fuse panel. 4 lugs had been double-tapped and the legend was not properly filled out, and the panel had 4-5 additional spots for more fuses/circuits.

I flagged the double-tapped lugs within my report and indicated to have an electrician come out to inspect/provide a solution etc. The electrician contacts me today via phone while at the home and asks whats wrong? So I kindly explained the situation to him and stated that there was some double-tapping present, was not an approved application etc. He then persists to ask, I don't understand that is fine, so I go on to explain why it is not and provide what my thought was for a proper solution: add 4 additional slots with fuses and ensure each lug was wired with one single wire.

He then goes on to ask if he could just pig-tail onto the existing wires that were being double-tapped allowing him to have just one single wire under each lug. My thought process behind this(correct me if I'm wrong) which I relayed to him is that I would prefer to see new fuses added to ensure that a fuse does not continue to blow if the new owner are utilizing multiple circuits at one time but state that he is the electrician.

My question for you is: Is this how you feel, and is there any NEC code references anyone can help me with more specifically for drawing more load than what a fuse can handle...due ultimately to the fact that the electrician was challenging my thought. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Your Opinion, Code Reference

Square D brealers 15-30 amps are listed for use with 2 conductors. If the breaker is not tripping I don't see the issue.

BTW, you don't add fuses to a breaker panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    Square D brealers 15-30 amps are listed for use with 2 conductors. If the breaker is not tripping I don't see the issue.

BTW, you don't add fuses to a breaker panel.
    Perhaps you missed where Randy said

So I had an HI over the Easter weekend and looked over a 100amp Square D fuse panel
    Depending on the listing for the panel (which is quite old I imagine) there's no problem with pigtailing. Of course since he's a licensed electrician he'll have calculated the expected loads to determine if keeping it a single circuit is appropriate.

Was there evidence (say a penny or foil or oversized fuse) to indicate the circuit was overloaded? Also, were S type adaptors in place or was it using the original T type fuses?

Randy King Guest

no pennies, original T type fuses. My thought was the same...I told the elec. if he felt comfortable pig-tailing and calc. the loads go for it. As state the original was just my corrective action thought.

Wasn't breakers, fuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy King View Post
    He then goes on to ask if he could just pig-tail onto the existing wires that were being double-tapped allowing him to have just one single wire under each lug. My thought process behind this(correct me if I'm wrong)

Correcting you in that you are wrong on that one as each fuse ALREADY was carrying the load of the double tapped conductors, and, using a proper wire connector (i.e., 'wire nut' to many) the two conductors could be connected to a new third conductor with that new third conductor being connected to the fuse and the double tapping problem is solved.

A few easy and legitimate solution to THAT problem, however, there is a bigger problem ...

... which is that many insurance companies are not insuring homes with fuses ...

So, no matter how nice, easy, neatly, legally, etc., the electrician corrects the multiple tapping condition, your client MAY have a problem getting insurance for the house.

Also, with a wiring system that old, there were likely many other things to be concerned with ... ???

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com