Andy Jarchow Guest

Default What causes nail pops in a roof?

Is it just because the wrong nails were used or the nails are not long enough?

If you just reset them won’t they pop back up again?

How do you fix the problem?

Do you recommend a roofer if there are just a few nail pops lifting the shingles above even if they haven’t caused a hole yet?

Thank you?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: What causes nail pops in a roof?

Many, many reasons for nail pops.

As far as recommending a roofer...is that the only thing you found?

I would use in this particular case...qualified individual. I just don't want them getting on the roof, sliding off and then saying that they were just following my instructions.

With expansion and contraction of the roofing underlayment throughout the seasons, roofing nails will often extrude.
    Resetting and tarring the head to hold in place will usually work. Typically it will be a nail that was not set real well at install.
    Annual inspection and maintenance to roof will do.

Andy Jarchow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Many, many reasons for nail pops.

As far as recommending a roofer...is that the only thing you found?

I would use in this particular case...qualified individual. I just don't want them getting on the roof, sliding off and then saying that they were just following my instructions.
    The roof was is good condition except for 8 nail pops. I just told him they should be reset. I didn't know about the tar thing. I didn't recommend a roofer. Maybe I should have it was about a 10/12 or 12/12 pitch

Thank you all
    mk

A few other possible causes:

Roofing Nails That Pop Up

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Andy Jarchow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    A few other possible causes:

Roofing Nails That Pop Up
    Good info thank you!
    mk

A couple of pics from last week. Just one nail on the whole roof, could very well be in a seam between two sheets of OSB.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Ken McConnell Guest

I have to agree in recommending a professional roofing contractor make needed repairs in my reporting. Just good liability to always recommend a professional contractor.

Ken - Quality Home & Building Inspections

Ted Menelly Guest

Hey

Here is a good roof for you. I was doing my do diligence today checking for nails and how many and what type. With thumb and fore finger I slightly lifted the edge corner of several shingles around the roof. No pressure in the slightest and as it was only a quarter inch off the roof in the beginning the entire run in many areas lifted. A slight more pressure and not ripping shingles at all and the lift kept going.

The pic below can see the thumb and forefinger barely lifting and the whole run started to lift I have about 8 more pics of different areas.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Andy Jarchow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Hey

Here is a good roof for you. I was doing my do diligence today checking for nails and how many and what type. With thumb and fore finger I slightly lifted the edge corner of several shingles around the roof. No pressure in the slightest and as it was only a quarter inch off the roof in the beginning the entire run in many areas lifted. A slight more pressure and not ripping shingles at all and the lift kept going.

The pic below can see the thumb and forefinger barely lifting and the whole run started to lift I have about 8 more pics of different areas.

Roofing company had to make some budget cuts so they decided not to use so many nails. Looks like a pattern did they only put two nails in each and only on the right side?
    mk