Thread: Dryer Vent?

Mark Schniers Guest

Default Dryer Vent?

I have observed this condition twice recently. Perhaps I missed something in product development that allows this type of vent material to be used for exhaust?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Dryer Vent?

I don't think you're the one that missed something, Mark.
    Must be smooth walled metal, except for a short connecting piece which can be listed flex metal.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

It's a Simpson Dura-Vent single-wall flexible vent connector or similar, basically, you can use it anywhere you can use single-wall vent pipe, as for example at the furnace in Mark's picture:

Simpson Dura-Vent 4DV60 Aluminum 60 Inch Single-Wall Flex Connector with 4 Inch Inner Diameter

If in doubt if it's listed for venting a gas appliance, check the labeling.

Property speaking, you vent a furnace, boiler or water heater but you exhaust a clothes dryer: http://www.ashireporter.org/articles/articles.aspx?id=1673 ).

Flexible vent connectors are somewhat similar in appearance (the flexible pipe, not the connectors) to some brands of semi-rigid flexible transition duct, for example:

http://www.glv1995.com/?catid={4602286B-D684-41B8-8553-4BAE2545D117}#{2EBEA12A-222E-4724-94BF-054C0D02561C}

used to exhaust a clothes dryer (likely what Mark is used to seeing, at dryers), but they are different systems and listed to different standards, and you can't use one for an application intended for the other.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 04-02-2010 at 05:41 AM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

I assumed from the post title that it was being used for a dryer, not as a vent for a furnace.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Mark Schniers Guest

Thank you for the clarification between vent/exhaust gentlemen. I did not observe any lable indicating the material was rated for venting. It simply appeared to be a 6" flexible pipe which got pretty hot. Just to CMA, should the report say ''It appears the material used for venting the furnace is single wall pipe for a gas-fueled furnace. This is a fire hazard. A qualified heating and cooling contractor should evaluate and repair or replace as necessary."? I may have an opportumity to stop by the vacant condo to re-evaluate the material to further my knowledge.

Mark,

You may want to read this:
    Simpson Dura-vent

Mark Schniers Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    Mark,

You may want to read this:
    Simpson Dura-vent
    Thank you Brandon. I feel like such a boob. After looking at the photo again and revisting the vacant property, I could see that it was clearly identified as a double wall vent. I just missed it first time around. No excuses here. Thanks for eveyones support.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Schniers View Post
    Thank you Brandon. I feel like such a boob. After looking at the photo again and revisting the vacant property, I could see that it was clearly identified as a double wall vent. I just missed it first time around. No excuses here. Thanks for eveyones support.
    Was that vent not for a dryer? If so, then the corrugated pipe can not be used. It needs to be smooth on the inside of the pipe.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Scott,

If you look closely at the OP's pic, it's venting a furnace.

Michael Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Was that vent not for a dryer? If so, then the corrugated pipe can not be used. It needs to be smooth on the inside of the pipe.
    Not that this applies to this incorrectly titled thread (which has caused a problem in answering what was asked versus what the title implied), but ...

"Similar" looking material is allowed to be used for the transition connector between the clothes dryer and the clothes dryer duct. The clothes dryer duct is required to be smooth inside, made of metal, blah, blah, blah, however, the transition connector of a maximum of 8 feet is allowed to be installed, and that is allowed to be the corrugated flexible aluminum similar to what is shown in the photo.

Keep in mind, though, that Scott's post and this post are not related to the actual question or photo in this thread, they are related to the title of the thread.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

So I'm standing around on a roof this morning, and thinking" "Man... they have managed to put some seriously moisture saturated exhaust up this one... wonder what I'll find it's venting... "

----------------

Also two good examples of why:

"#@$%#" it. I really should drag the #@$%#" thirty-two foot ladder off the vehicle and get up up on that #@$%#" roof in the #@$%#" rain and get a look at the uphill side of that #@$%#" chimney... otherwise I just know I'm gonna' miss some big #@$%#" honking hole in something, and when I disclaim that side of the #@$%#" roof the #@$%#" roofer is going to make me look like a #@$%#" idiot...."

(There. Now I can feel properly virtuous.)

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Michael Thomas; 04-07-2010 at 02:40 PM.
    Michael Thomas