Default How do I manage a re-inspection?

OREP Insurance

Default Re: How do I manage a re-inspection?

You will probably get a bunch of different opinions, but I think the most common one will be to treat the two inspections as completely separate.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Call it a new inspection with a new client. Do not work off the old report form (last week) and charge the same price for the new inspection. Its like the your first report was for the other guy and this report is for the new guy

Do not make any notes back to the original report or the date of that report.

Your would not want to say " as stated in the original report dated "

Best

Ron

I agree with John and Ron.

So, you have a Yankee a Californian and a Southerner agreeing on the same thing! What more can you ask for!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I agree with John and Ron.

So, you have a Yankee a Californian and a Southerner agreeing on the same thing! What more can you ask for!
    Let there be a note that no matter where they live in that long state they are neither a northerner or a southerner.....just a Californian

Cary Seidner Guest

Additionally to what has already been said, I would let my new clients know that I inspected the house already X days/months/years ago.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

It is your call. I disagree with Cary, but that is my business decision.

It is a "new inspection" with a "new client".

Do NOT take any shortcuts. Just because it is a repeat for you it is "new business" for the new clients potential "dream home".

I have a friend of mine who inspects in the Fort Worth market and he inspected the "same" home THREE times for different clients.

Talk about "bored" and "repetitive" ... but he treated each one with respect and gave the client the full attention deserved.

Nolan,

What I enjoy is when I open the cabinets below the sink and see my WDI inspection stickers posted from years back as part of the Home Inspection.

This one so far I've inspected 3 times.

TKO is my PC control company I've had for 25yrs.

rick

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Tom King Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Borkowski View Post
    How should one proceed with a inspection of a property that you recently inspected for another client.

I have had this situation a couple of times.

I start by telling people that I have inspected the property before.

If no one has any conflict of interest issues that are not put well to rest before I start then I do not do it. (this has never happened)

Then, I clear my head of the issue and inspect like I have never been there before.

It has yet to ever turn into a problem for me......(yet)....

I treat it as if I had never been there before, but I will tell my clients I have been there before.

If I find out I know the sellers of the house after I get there, I will tell my clients I know the sellers, and while I can be objective, if they chose to find someone else they can.

i have inspected homes of several people I go to church with, and once inspected the house of my daughter's teacher.

Smile Re: How do I manage a re-inspection?

I let my client know that I recently inspected the property for another client. I explain that I can't resell the existing report as it's against Washington State law for home inspectors to accept more that one fee for the same report. I let them know that things can change and that many times homeowners make repairs once a buyer has walked, and sometimes the repairs are substandard or inadequate. I offer to inspect the home for a reduced fee ($50-$100 off original fee). If it's been over 6 months I may only reduce the fee a little. Always treat it as new inspection no matter what.

Tom King Guest

To the question of using the prior inspection report or selling the old report I explain the old report was sold to someone else for their use and more inportantly any inspection is a snapshot in time and therefore the old report is invalid.

Heck, just moving some furniture around or an empty basement in a house that was previously stuffed can make major changes to the finished report.