Thread: New Member

Steve Davis Guest

Default New Member

Completed TREC Requirements and Passed the Texas Professional Home Inspectors Exam. What a Test? Now another hurdle is getting a business
    set up and running. Do you recommend any classes or seminars to attend?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    Completed TREC Requirements and Passed the Texas Professional Home Inspectors Exam. What a Test? Now another hurdle is getting a business
    set up and running. Do you recommend any classes or seminars to attend?
    Congratulations on passing your state exam. Now you just have to be willing to get your name out to everyone you know and see. It takes time to build a home inspection business, it does not happen overnight. I had to rebuild my business after relocating to the Nashville area, and it has taken about 3 years to see the glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel!

Just about any kind of education will help you in this profession. I attend InspectionWorld every January. In 2011 it will be in Atlanta, Ga. I think the dates are January 25-28, 2011. It will be at the Atlanta Hilton (downtown).

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Steve Davis Guest

Default Re: New Member

Thanks Scott, Does the time at one of these conventions pay off or should I consider classes?

Steven Udelle Guest

Smile Re: New Member

Just about ANY Home Inspector's convention you attend pays off. Like Scott, I relocated my successful Florida business to Northeast Georgia five years ago. Getting your name out there is an understatement. I seemed to get a good start for 2006 but for 2007-2008, everything seemed to go quiet. I got my insurance license and was making very good money in Medicare advantage plan sales untill the gov stuck their noses in the insurance industry's business and cut our commissions in half. My big mistake during this time was to let my inspection website slide off of the major search engines. Getting it back up there is costly. I've still done inspections in between insurance appts but they were very few. I'm back to marketing my inspection business with a vengence as I would rather give a quality inspection at a fair price knowing that there will be NO CHARGEBACKS on my pay two or three months down the road!

Any advice I could give you would be the same as Scott's. Shake a lot of hands, get your site published with local online directories (some free, some not-so-free) Make sure if the phone books in your area are coming up on deadline, YOUR NAME and Number is in it! There is no charge for this if it's in the white pages area. Remember, you don't say hello to ANYONE unless you have a business card with your picture ready to put in their hand. If they are not buying a home, tell them to post it on their fridge for the time they hear of a friend that is home scouting.

Good luck to you. As Scott says, it won't happen over night.

http://www.DetailedInspections.com