Default One scorched screw?

Sorry, it's a dreaded Canadian Federal Pioneer panel. We like them up here.

There are no other problems or maybe there are no problems at all. Looks like someone touched a grounded lead to the screw on the breaker. Should an electrician check the bus for scorching? Just call for a new breaker? Ignore it?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Default Re: One scorched screw?

Ignore it, I guess.

www.allsafehome.ca

James Duffin Guest

I would take the wire off of the breaker and look at it. If the wire looks ok and the breaker screw turned ok I would ignore it.

James Duffin Guest

I just stated what I am qualified to do and would do. No need to write up an issue if you can verify that it is not a problem while you are there. I also check all the wires in a panel to make sure they are tight, tighten loose switches and receptacles, and adjust float levels in toliets. But this is me and am not saying you should do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    I just stated what I am qualified to do and would do. No need to write up an issue if you can verify that it is not a problem while you are there. I also check all the wires in a panel to make sure they are tight, tighten loose switches and receptacles, and adjust float levels in toliets. But this is me and am not saying you should do the same.
    Thanks, James. I called for an electrician to do that. I will not put a screwdriver into a panel. Home inspectors are not allowed to perform work on or in a live panel, and that's not just here, AFAIK.

If the toilet flushes, why mess with it? Maybe the owner likes it the way it is.

www.allsafehome.ca

James Duffin Guest

I would think most people do not like water running into the overflow tube and down the drain....but you are probably correct in saying some folks may not have a problem with that as long as the toilet flushes.

Patrick Belcher Guest

Water should run down the overflow tube. If the tube is loose from the overflow tube it can contact the tank water and be a source of cross-contamination. Also, I would think that if you start making repairs on a property during a home inspection, you would open a huge can of liability worms.

James Duffin Guest

Then I would agree that you should not do it if you are not qualified.