Tony Escamilla Guest

Question ICC Certification & Code Check

I'm currently studying the IBC/CBC for ICC certification. Has anyone had any success using the building Code Check as a study guide? It seems like such a logical place to start, and use in conjuction with the actual code books.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tony Escamilla
    Los Angeles Home Inspector, San Bernardino Home Inspection, Orange County Home Inspction - Certified Home Inspector

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Bob Spermo Guest

Default Re: ICC Certification & Code Check

Tony,

Check with the ICC but when I took the exams they were based on the IRC not the IBC. The exams are more a test of can you the find correct part of the code. Get very familar with the set-up of the books and how to find things within the books.

Tony Escamilla Guest

Bob,

Thanks for the info. There's actually different exams for the IRC and the IBC. I agree with you that I do need to ge familiar with the books though. The 97 UBC is much different than the 2007 version. They moved codes around to different chapters in this version.

Thanks again,

Tony

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Your ICC tests will be on the "current version" of the code cycle that you are testing for.

You need to know how to find your way around the specific IRC code cycle you are testing for.

There is no "easy" way.

Study, study, study ... and study some more.

As Bob S. noted ... you need to know your way around and through the IRC (assuming that is the certification you are going for) for quick finding of the answers posed.

The more you know about such will also mean the more you have actually absorbed and will be able to answer many questions without having to leaf through the code book.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan Kienitz View Post
    There is no "easy" way.

Study, study, study ... and study some more.
    I would set the Code Check books aside for your studying for the tests - they make for field references but not for test taking.

I suggest getting the ICC practice tests and going through them several times with the code books for the test you are studying for and sit at your computer and take the practice tests and then the timed tests - doing that will improve your ability to find things in the code books faster, and you will retain knowledge of what you looked up.

As stated by others above - you will need to "know" many answers with knowledge in your head as you will not have time to look up and find what is being asked about all the questions. Do not worry about "knowing" "all" the answers, that is not practical, but knowing some is going to be the difference in time management, and the more you know without having to look up the more time you will have to manage for the other questions.

Besides, if you get used to looking things up in Code Check, and then when you cannot take that in with you (you will not be able to), you will not know "the book" as you should.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Tony Escamilla Guest

Excellent advice Jerry!! I knew I could count on you. It makes perfect sense that I won't be able to use the Code Check at the test. Are you talking about the ICC online practice exams, or is there another source you can suggest? Just when I had the code books down, they went and changed everything around

Thanks again,

Tony Escamilla
    Los Angeles Home Inspector, San Bernardino Home Inspection, Orange County Home Inspction - Certified Home Inspector

All the guys that were in the community college inspection program had some type of file tab like markers in the code book that helped them find what they were looking for quickly. I was just taking the class for CEUs so I didn't need these but the guys I talked to said they couldn't imagine trying the test without them.

I wish I had a better description or where to find them. Maybe someone else will chime in. Or, you might try checking where you bought your code book or at a technical book store.

You can get the tabs here: Builder's Book, Inc.Bookstore?

Just type in Tabs in their search feature.

The practice exams help. Reading the Code book and practicing finding things in it seem to be the most helpful for me. I have my books tabbed with different color tabs. Blue for plumbing, Red for electric, etc.
    You might want to consider ordering the 'flash cards' set. I go through them from time to time as an exercise. Interesting stuff on those flash cards and the set wasn't that expensive.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Philip Guest

I am totally confused. In KY we are told over and over again that we are not authorized to inspect to code. What I see is a profession that has grown in responsiblity and liabilites that soon it would be easier to become a doctor. In KY we were trained in the "box checker" method of reporting. I have read posts where one inspector's report is sixty pages long. Is there any data showing the differences that each state requires and expects of Home Inspectors?

Sorry to hear you guys are trained as box checkers Phillip.
    As HI we are not Code inspectors and aren't doing Code inspections as part of a regular HI. However, at some point or another we have to reference something as part of our inspections. This becomes especially true when dealing with new construction/developers. It doesn't work to just say 'what developer X did is wrong and that's my opinion'. Developer X has his own opinion and he thinks what he did is right. How will you best serve your client in such an instance? The most natural things to reference are Manufacturer's instructions for materials/installs and the Code.
    For instance, I find smoke detectors all over the place but rarely in the Code sited location. Am I supposed to stay stupid and say nothing or let clients know where the smoke detector is supposed to go?
    Some of us do more than just regular HI so more knowledge is needed. I'm working on a Code re-inspection report for someone this morning actually.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    I am totally confused. In KY we are told over and over again that we are not authorized to inspect to code. What I see is a profession that has grown in responsibility and liabilities that soon it would be easier to become a doctor. In KY we were trained in the "box checker" method of reporting. I have read posts where one inspector's report is sixty pages long. Is there any data showing the differences that each state requires and expects of Home Inspectors?
    Sounds like your training could have been better.

North Carolina specifically states that a home inspection is not a code enforcement inspection. It is an inspection for Safety and Habitability.

How do you know what is Safe and Habitable if you are not familiar with code? Manufacturers instructions become defacto code according to code. Code defines what is considered Safe and Habitable. If you don't know code, how can you inspect?

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Tony Escamilla Guest

Phillip,

Markus quote says it all: "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from". The code is a minimum requirement, just like the inspection standards from the inspection associations are minimums. Knowledge in itself is not power. It's the applied knowledge that is powerful. The more codes you know, the better rounded inspector you will be. Not to mention the credibility you will build in the industry.

I have lots of code experience and other certifications, but here in
    California, the new codes adopted the the 2006 IBC and modified it quite a bit, so getting used to finding codes is going to be my chore. But one I'll gladly take as I study for the exam.

Thanks everyone for the input. I know I can always get good advise on this site.

Tony Escamilla

It will help you a lot to use the Index to find answers you need to look up.

If you are testing for the IBC then you need to know a lot on concrete, firewalls, smoke curtains and so on.

The IRC isn't too bad if you are familiar with wood frame construction. I would be willing to bet that there will be quite a few questions on wind bracing since the 2006 IRC had around 3 pages on wind bracing and the 2009 IRC has around 28 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Escamilla View Post
    Phillip,

Markus quote says it all: "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from". The code is a minimum requirement, just like the inspection standards from the inspection associations are minimums. Knowledge in itself is not power. It's the applied knowledge that is powerful. The more codes you know, the better rounded inspector you will be. Not to mention the credibility you will build in the industry.

I have lots of code experience and other certifications, but here in
    California, the new codes adopted the the 2006 IBC and modified it quite a bit, so getting used to finding codes is going to be my chore. But one I'll gladly take as I study for the exam.

Thanks everyone for the input. I know I can always get good advise on this site.

Tony Escamilla
    Hello Tony,

The ICC exam bulletin states that the only reference materials allowed in the exam room are the ones listed in the candidate bulletin for that particular exam. However, the interpretation of that rule is that Code Check is a form of the material. I have always been allowed to take Code Check into the exams, and have not heard of anyone having to leave it in the little locker they give you for your watch and phone.

My suggestion is to take both Code Check and the IRC with you to the exams. Code Check will help you quickly get to the correct page in the code book, and the correct answers will jump at you as soon as you see them. These exams are not about knowledge - they are essentially just testing whether you can find your way around the code book.

Though California uses the IBC as a residential code, they do not have a separate residential building inspector exam. The ICC exam based upon the IBC is their "commercial building inspector" (B2) exam. California law requires jurisdictional employees to maintain certifications, and allows them to simply have the residential certification based upon the IRC, despite it never having been adopted in California. Next year, when California begins using chapters 1 - 10 of the IRC, things will be a bit less illogical.

Code Check for California is based upon the current California codes, which are NOT the ones used in the residential certification exams. Code Check 6th edition is the one that will help you with the current exams. Earlier editions will not work for some of the exam material due to the renumbering of many items in 2009 IRC chapter 3, and the relocation of fireblocking to chapter 3.

Feel free to contact me through the Code Check site if you wish.

Thank you.

Douglas Hansen
    Code Check- Help With Building Codes

Tony Escamilla Guest

Doug,

Thanks for taking the time to provide your advise. I know I can always count on this site for good info. I love using the Code Check books, both for my home inspection business and my code enforcement job. I have to agree though that I need to get more familiar with the actual code books and how to find things again. Just when I had the UBC engraned into memory, they went ahead and moved everything around.

BTW, California does offer residential (J1) AND commercial (I1) building inspector certification. Thanks again!!!

Tony Escamilla

InterNACHI has free ICC exam prep tools such as Advanced Residential Code Inspection Exam Prep - InterNACHI

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Steven Udelle Guest

Smile Re: ICC Certification & Code Check

There is a guy on Ebay named Cliff Burger who sells study guides for most of the ICC tests. These guides have over 350 questions and times practice tests at the rear of the guide. They are typically 49 dollars and are the equivelent of taking the test 7 times. Some of his guides you can download immediately in pdf. ICC is still testing in 2010 on the 2006 codes but it is done paper and pencil quarterly at one of their testing locations. PearsonView is testing on the 2009 codes at their test centers (online). The fee as i remember is 110 to 180 dollars depending on which test you want to take.

Athens Georgia Home Inspectors, Athens Home Inpections, Winder Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    InterNACHI has free ICC exam prep tools such as Advanced Residential Code Inspection Exam Prep - InterNACHI
    Well, it is only free to those who belong to INACHI. Let's not get into false advertising...

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Steven Udelle Guest

Talking Re: ICC Certification & Code Check

Yeah, but $49 isn't to much to pay for the value along with not have to take INACHI's rigorous online cerification/fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Udelle View Post
    There is a guy on Ebay named Cliff Burger who sells study guides for most of the ICC tests. These guides have over 350 questions and times practice tests at the rear of the guide. They are typically 49 dollars and are the equivelent of taking the test 7 times. Some of his guides you can download immediately in pdf. ICC is still testing in 2010 on the 2006 codes but it is done paper and pencil quarterly at one of their testing locations. PearsonView is testing on the 2009 codes at their test centers (online). The fee as i remember is 110 to 180 dollars depending on which test you want to take.

Thanks, thats a great contact.. Now all I have to do is decide, do I want to get someting for free from someone that makes brags how he makes a living by suing other inspectors that does not agree with his BS, and does not pay him $289.00. Or do I want to pay $49.00 to a professional.

Last edited by Dan Harris; 04-23-2010 at 08:14 AM.
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Steven Udelle Guest

Talking Re: ICC Certification & Code Check

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    Thanks, thats a great contact.. Now all I have to do is decide, do I want to get someting for free from someone that makes brags how he makes a living by suing other inspectors that does not agree with his BS, and does not pay him $289.00. Or do I want to pay $49.00 to a professional.
    Damn, did Nick's lawyer threaten you too?

Email us at fastreply@nachi.org and I'll get you all access to Advanced Residential Code Inspection Exam Prep - InterNACHI for free. The study questions and answers come directly off the ICC exam.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Udelle View Post
    Damn, did Nick's lawyer threaten you too?
    Not yet..
    Last I saw he's bragging how he's going to take homes from Pa inspectors, [ honest guys that believe Pa customers deserve more than an inspector with the only qualifications of passing some T/ F on-line quiz] and destroy them just for disclosing the facts/ scams of his wannte be org.

I'm assuming he pays lisa to check every post I make.
    The problem is he can't get anything on me when I disclose the lies and scams straight from his mouth.

Last edited by Dan Harris; 04-23-2010 at 06:27 PM.
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

I've seen the hit list and you're on it Dan.

InterNACHI's suit against PHIC and Joe Kelly update page. - InterNACHI

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Hit list? You sure used the proper term for your bogus lies/ allegations about other inspectors.
    You take pride in suing Professional Home Inspectors that simply want their customers/neighbors get the best service they can from professionals that worked hard for and earned verified HI certifications.

www.inspectaz.com

The judge in the PHIC suit disagrees with you. InterNACHI has a right to go after anyone who makes public false claims about its membership requirements and make them give us every asset they have for the damages they cause us or our members.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

The judge in the PHIC suit disagrees with you. InterNACHI has a right to go after anyone who makes public false claims about its membership requirements and make them give us every asset they have for the damages they cause us or our members.
    Ahhh... I'm sure it's just a misunderstanding, as soon as the judge recieves his Congratulations letter for passing the exam, and the request for $289.00 to become an instantly certified home inspector the same day , I'm sure he will then understand

www.inspectaz.com

Like I said, I've seen the hit list .

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Although I am no longer a member of INTERNACHI or Nachi I did find some very good information on their site. They also have excellent clip art which have been a very valuable addition to my reports.

My advise to new inspectors, and many older inspectors on this forum, is to quit worrying about what someone else is doing to make a living. Take care of yourself, learn as much as you can. I have never in eight years had anyone ask me about my affiliation with an organization. Knowledge is knowledge no matter where you get it and I get it where ever I can!

I am not ICC certified but I do have the code book and have taken many practice test. Has it made me a better inspector? I believe so! I have never recited code in a report but have had several builders confront me in the past where I have been able to back-up my findings with an IRC code.

James Bohac