Jon mackay Guest

Default Sagging garage door framing

I could not pinpoint any issues such as wood rot that would cause this sagging condition. The header seemed to be a bit on the short side. It appears to have been this way since construction.
    Can anyone identify a cause or issue with this or would you write it up as poor framing practices?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Sagging garage door framing

Undersized header. That is a bearing wall with the weight of the floor, roof, walls above.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Jon mackay Guest

No floor or walls above, just a roof..

Could be just poor framing. One side of the garage may be just slightly higher than the other side which would place the header out of plane.

rick

Jon mackay Guest

Rick,
    That is what I am thinking also. Everything seemed to be in place.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jon mackay View Post
    I could not pinpoint any issues such as wood rot that would cause this sagging condition. The header seemed to be a bit on the short side. It appears to have been this way since construction.
    Can anyone identify a cause or issue with this or would you write it up as poor framing practices?

The crowns where matched when the header buildup was done and then they put the crown down instead of up and it continued to sag more over time. The lumber looks big enough and if it is then that is more than likely what happened,

It does look a little lower on the left side of the picture but there is still a good bow in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon mackay View Post
    No floor or walls above, just a roof..
    I see that now after looking closer, I could have sworn I saw the wall extending up for a second floor.
    Ted's theory sounds about right.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Jon mackay Guest

Yes it was noticeable there is no distortion.

There's something about the siding being out of parallel with the garage door opening, and the discoloration on the plate under that header that has me wondering if the siding and garage doors are replacements covering up damage from water intrusion. Does it look like the posts on the right (from the outside) look like they've sunken or compressed a bit?

The garage door counterweight bar is off plane from the the header. Without being there we don't know which one it is. Looking at the garage door closed would help. I don't really see a bow as much as I do just different slopes. That's a pretty narrow opening, a pretty large header and a minimal load on it (no upper floor, etc.). I vote for it being built off-level or some movement on one side of hte garage.

Jon mackay Guest

No compression anywhere, I settled on crown placement.