Jon mackay Guest

Default Minimum circuit breaker verbaige

Does anyone call it out when there are less circuit breakers than you would expect?
    For example, a 2,000 sq.ft. house with only 9 total 15 and 20 amp breakers.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Minimum circuit breaker verbaige

No, that in and of itself is not a problem. Why do you think it is?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Jon mackay Guest

Only thinking that there may not be enough circuits to handle certain loads. Perhaps I'm over thinking it.

Two for the kitchen, two for the bedrooms, two for the bathrooms, one for outside, one for the family room, how many more do you need?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Jon mackay Guest

Point taken.

Just over thinking it again.

James Duffin Guest

If you think it is a concern you should mention in the body of the report. You could say something like:

"There are nine 120 volt circuits feeding the lights and receptacles in the house. Depending on what devices you will be using in the house this may not be enough to circuits to supply the devices you will be using. If there is a concern that nine circuits may not be enough to supply the loads required you should have an electrician survey the electrical system in the house. Any additional circuits that are required would be an improvement and not a repair."

This may help cover you if the buyers do discover that there is not enough power in the house supply their needs. You have a reason to be concerned so why not mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Two for the kitchen, two for the bedrooms, two for the bathrooms, one for outside, one for the family room, how many more do you need?
    One more for the washer and dryer, even if it's gas. Dishwasher should be on its own, garbage disposer needs one. Fridge? What about the garage? I'd question it.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Maybe before you question it you should find out what the NEC minimums are for a 2000 Sq. Ft. residence.

There's no way to properly answer this question as there's not enough information provided.
    Before anyone can determine what size service or how many circuits a dwelling will need ,one must first gather ALL the information.

Blindly making generalized statements about the lack of circuits is doing a dis-service to your customers.

Is the dwelling using natural gas or propane for heat, cooking, water heating, or clothes dryer ?

Is the dwelling using fuel oil for heat, hot water ?

Is the dwelling using electric for clothes dryer, water heater, cooking, heating ?

What type of heating loads : heat pump, hot water baseboard, electric baseboard, oil burner? Does the dwelling have central A/C? What fixed in place appliances are in the dwelling ?
    you need the range/ cook top KW ratings, the dryer KW ratings, the heating KW ratings,The A/c KW rating
    Before anyone can provide an answer as to how many circuits in too few one must have all of that information and the associated loads for each.

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kriegh View Post
    Maybe before you question it you should find out what the NEC minimums are for a 2000 Sq. Ft. residence.
    I'll take a stab at it:

2000 sq. ft @ 3 VA per sq. ft. = 6000 VA

6000 VA /120V = 50 amps / 15

two 20 amp small appliance circuits, one 20 amp laundry circuit and one 20 amp for the bathrooms.

So I say four 15 amp circuits and four 20 amp circuits?

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    I'll take a stab at it:

2000 sq. ft @ 3 VA per sq. ft. = 6000 VA

6000 VA /120V = 50 amps / 15

two 20 amp small appliance circuits, one 20 amp laundry circuit and one 20 amp for the bathrooms.

So I say four 15 amp circuits and four 20 amp circuits?
    Ok, I should have said" I'd question it in the area where I live".

Up here in civilized Canada, the fridge goes on one, dishwasher on one that's 2 15 amps gone.
    (Also, up here in Canada, only 12 outlets per 15 amp circuit.)
    Outdoor and garage circuit ought to be on a designated circuit. Is this right?
    So maybe it's a 2 room bungalow with one lighting circuit?

But you guys are right, it depends on the number and size of the loads, not enough info.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Up here in civilized Canada, the fridge goes on one, dishwasher on one that's 2 15 amps gone.
    (Also, up here in Canada, only 12 outlets per 15 amp circuit.)
    Outdoor and garage circuit ought to be on a designated circuit. Is this right?
    So maybe it's a 2 room bungalow with one lighting circuit?
    Yeah, you guys have less sunlight and natural heat. Forget the lights, We function just fine so long as with have a big honking A/C.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas