Jon mackay Guest

Default Sloppy roof job?

Ok, this almost looks as though there is rolled roofing below the upper coarse. What is going on here? (See the picture with my foot)

This just doesn't seem right and the roof is only around 3 years old.
    Found some shingle damage at the ridge and a depression at the bottom of a valley that appears to be a failure.

Staples at shingles, exposed nail heads.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

chris mcintyre Guest

Default Re: Sloppy roof job?

The new roofing was installed over roofing that should have been removed and not roofed over. The staples backing out are most likely to short for two layers of shingles, also not enough overhang...ugly,ugly!

How did the sheathing look in the attic?

That's definitely a sloppy job.

It's common in my area to see shingles installed parallel to the rake edge. This way, there's a neater straight edge to cut along when trimming the rake shingles. There's no excuse for running the shingles short from this rake edge material, as water can then travel in under the shingles when done this way.

EDIT:

Never mind. It looks like there are multiple layers of roofing.

Jon mackay Guest

The sheathing in the attic was mostly ok, one delaminated area that looked like it was from a prior leakage. The place was built in the 60s.

What might you recommend in this case? There is definitely at least one area where I'm almost certain it is failing but its at an overhang area so I couldnt see the sheathing.

The sheathing in the attic was mostly ok, one delaminated area that looked like it was from a prior leakage. The place was built in the 60s.

What might you recommend in this case? There is definitely at least one area where I'm almost certain it is failing but its at an overhang area so I couldnt see the sheathing.
    Since there are roof issues, I would just note my concerns and punt to a competent roofing contractor.

One of my high tech tests for inaccessible and questionable plywood sheathing is to do the bounce test on it. If I can hear it "crackle" when bounced on (lift heels up with your toes and drop down heavily onto heels), it is most definitely failing.

I treat questionable sheathing on a case by case basis depending on a number of factors involved.