Thread: beam columns

Default beam columns

Home built in 2001. All the columns are this installed this way. I cannot find anything from the manufacturer or codes that states this is improper.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: beam columns

I remember this topic being discussed on another forum. I went and found it. Here is the most direct and complete answer from that thread.

I cut this text so it's not my statement. Thanks goes out to the knowledgeable author.

It doesn't matter. The threaded portion can be up or down. If it's up, the threads must be permanently disabled (welded or disfigured) to disallow tampering.

Also if the threads are up, the floor plate must be secured to the floor (If they're down they're encased in concrete and need no further attachment.)

Conventional wisdom around here is to bury the threaded end in concrete to avoid having the threads carry any load. The fact is the post will crumble long before the threads shear.

Agree with John's paste.
    In this instance Code or Spec seems rather irrelevant based on pic #2. There is a very noticeable crack? going around the column about an inch up from the bottom. This is probably along where the thickness of the inner bottom plate meet and the outer shell intersect. I would consider the post structurally defective. Add in the abundant rust it its replacement time.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Conventional wisdom around here is to bury the threaded end in concrete to avoid having the threads carry any load. The fact is the post will crumble long before the threads shear.
    So much for conventional wisdom, the threads carry the load either way.

David Bell Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    Agree with John's paste.
    In this instance Code or Spec seems rather irrelevant based on pic #2. There is a very noticeable crack? going around the column about an inch up from the bottom. This is probably along where the thickness of the inner bottom plate meet and the outer shell intersect. I would consider the post structurally defective. Add in the abundant rust it its replacement time.

The so called crack seems more like a gap where the pipe and bottom plate are not welded, the adjustable columns I have seen are stitch welded in usually 4 to 5 places.