Jody Humbert Guest

Default Is this panel configuration allowed

Observed this panel today. Found it to be a split bus panel from the original schematic on the door. I then noticed that the service entrance wires were supplying a 100 amp breaker at the middle of the panel. 60 amp breaker at the top will still cut off the lower breakers as originally designed. 2 pole breakers above still have to be tripped to cut off all power. The wires connected at the upper lugs where the service entrance wires would normally be fed are feeding a 50 amp GFCI service box on the exterior(probable hot tub). When the 100 amp is tripped it does seem to cut off all power to the panel which I assumed it would. My question is can you set up this panel in this manner when the schematic looks as if it calls for it to be a split bus panel without it being a hazard? Thank you for any replies in advance.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Is this panel configuration allowed

That panel is wired wrong, very wrong, and needs to be corrected, and, most probably, needs to be replaced.

The 50 amp feeders are now only protected by the 100 amp main.

As best I can tell zooming in on the neutrals there are more than one, looks like more than two, in several terminals.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bob Winchester Guest

Jerry is absolutely correct. This is a dangerous installation. While it has a 100 amp main breaker backfed it is not done legally. The lugs at the top are only protected by the 100 amp main breaker and have what looks like #6 conductors connected to them. This needs to be changed as there is way too much connected to this panel. Single pole breakers on the top half are a violation. ONLY 2 pole breakers are allowed in the top as each one is a service disconnect when properly wired to the manufacturers instructions. The local electrical inspector should demand the service be upgraded. He will appreciate a heads up on this dangerous condition.

Jody Humbert Guest

Talking Re: Is this panel configuration allowed

Thanks for the info. I did call out this panel for numerous violations. The funny thing about this panel being so wrong is that the rest of the homes "utilities" also had issues. The city water pipe had an illegally teed pipe before the meter that fed the exterior spigots. Property had a pool. Can you say free water for the pool!!! Also, the gas meter had been removed. The neighbor told me it was because the owner kept breaking off the lock pin and stealing gas. There was also a coaxial line running to the cable box on the ground with the cover slightly open. It appears free cable was on the menu. I did find out the owner is in jail for distribution of cocaine. Not a very good drug dealer if he can't pay for his utilities!!!!

Bob Winchester Guest

Jody did you report the electrical panel to the local inspection authority? Something dangerous like that needed to be reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    That panel is wired wrong, very wrong, and needs to be corrected, and, most probably, needs to be replaced.

The 50 amp feeders are now only protected by the 100 amp main.

As best I can tell zooming in on the neutrals there are more than one, looks like more than two, in several terminals.
    When neutrals are doubled due to lack of space on an existing neutral bar, can an additional neutral bar be added ?

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    When neutrals are doubled due to lack of space on an existing neutral bar, can an additional neutral bar be added ?
    Most likely not.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com