mike huntzinger Guest

Default IR camera training

Looking to become IR certified, who has a good course and price, Ill be using a FLIR camera

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by mike huntzinger; 04-15-2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: mis spell
    Member Benefits1

mike huntzinger Guest

Default Re: IR camera training

Didit see my posting so i thought that this would help get some hits/views

mike huntzinger Guest

ive been to this site for online training about 10 hours

I did my training with FLIR.

I think it is a mistake to throw 'price' into the equation when considering infrared training - either you can afford to make the proper investment in infrared (camera AND training) or you put it off until you can.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I agree with Jerry - Flir's training partner ITC (Infrared Training Center) does a great job. If you skimp on your training you may live to regret it.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I did my training with FLIR.

I think it is a mistake to throw 'price' into the equation when considering infrared training - either you can afford to make the proper investment in infrared (camera AND training) or you put it off until you can.
    I think that INACHI has a free one...

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Randy King Guest

Hey Mike, take a look at Infraspection Institute. They have been around for years and are hands down awesome. They also provide a number of courses Level 1, 2, 3, etc. and additional courses geared specifically toward home inspectors.

Unless you are truly looking at getting into commerical or industrial applications Level 1 and above are really not necassary, don't get me wrong Level 1 training is great but if you are looking at using IR purely for your HI biz their HI geared course is perfect. I have done courses through them and their staff and course content is really good and they offer the same exact in classroom classes in online format and they are truly like sitting in a classrom and listening to an instructor. Overall I personally rate them highly but do your due dilegence. Most go with Infraspection, Snell Group, or FLIR ITC training. Or you can always check out the NACHI training as Scott said...

Ron Bibler Guest

You need the level 1. I went with the Snell Group. they have the best Building envelope program going. along with Great info Electrical Mechanical.

Free stuff is just that free stuff. Spend the money. get your Level 1 cert. Then if some one ask you are you sure about something your not a wack job like any other guy...

Best

Ron

Randy King Guest

In my opinion you don't NEED Level 1. Level 1 only shows a minimum level of competence...just like any other cert. or education, and doesn't prevent you from looking like "a wack job like any other guy". I have saw plenty of people in this industry that have some of the best looking credentials out there and are still very much a "wack job". Get as much training as you need to feel comfortable with the technology and application in which you intend on using it for. The only person that is going to prevent you from looking like an idiot is yourself.

You only need enough training for what you will be comfortable/satisfied with NOT knowing about this technology and the science behind it. Especially in residential applications which covers almost EVERY existing infrared field specialty and then some.

"You get what you pay for..." holds so very true for this technology, equipment, and training.

To those who opt for "cheap" in this technology... forgive them for they know not what they are missing.

Randy King Guest

"Get as much training as you need to feel comfortable with the technology and application in which you intend on using it for." Think you missed the point...however, paying more to get a reputable training provider is an important suggestion.

United Infrared Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mike huntzinger View Post
    Looking to become IR certified, who has a good course and price, Ill be using a FLIR camera
    Mike,
    Pricing for legitimate Level I will range from about ($1200-$1850) We have preferred pricing in our network Maximize your business with Infrared! but obviously there are costs associated with everything. You need to decide what you want from infrared or what your goal is. Training will help you get there but if you don't plan to incorporate it into its own business, you will either use it as a tie in with your current home inspection which in my opinion will add additional risk. Better to be a business of its own

There is much money to be made in infrared especially since the price of cameras have come down. In our national network 95% of our members (100+) have purchased a 320x240 camera ($9k+) as they are buidling IR businesses separate from home inspection and the opportunities exist outside of it like with horses for example

Remember Level I is the science, not the business.

HEre is the easiest way to look at the science training
    Level I is physics, science of IR and how to turn on your camera
    Level II is how to write a report
    Level III is how to teach someone how to turn on their camera and supervise Level I, II

All of these are pieces of paper but very necessary as ASNT has a recognized standard on this. The DOE recognizes certification in some of their documentation as to when somebody does a energy evaluation in a home......

I will be happy to answer any questions you have about the IR Business... peter@unitedinfrared.com