Jon mackay Guest

Default Improper Combistion?

This gas fireplace insert appeared top have some issues. It was very very dirty at the underside so I was thinking that it may not be getting enough combustion air.
    There is black soot on the glass and at the chimney area.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Improper Combistion?

The deposits on the inside of the glass are an indication of improper venting. If left on the glass they will permanently etch the glass. The soot deposits at the top of the chimney may also be an indication of improper venting. I would recommend the FP and chimney be serviced (cleaned and inspected) by a qualified chimney sweep. I would also recommend that the chimney sweep check the FP and chimney for proper venting and make any needed improvements.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Cool Re: Improper Combistion?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Breedlove View Post
    The deposits on the inside of the glass are an indication of improper venting. If left on the glass they will permanently etch the glass. The soot deposits at the top of the chimney may also be an indication of improper venting. I would recommend the FP and chimney be serviced (cleaned and inspected) by a qualified chimney sweep. I would also recommend that the chimney sweep check the FP and chimney for proper venting and make any needed improvements.
    Bruce, from what I'm seeing there appears to be some white film on the inside of the glass and possibly some soot. Neither of which are soley related to venting issues. The film is normal with all gas fireplaces. Sooting can be caused by a lot of issues such as improper log placement, low inlet gas pressure, high manifold gas pressure, too many embers, low primary air, too much secondary air, clogged burner ports, cracked burner, mislaligned burner mixer tube, etc., etc.

Normally, chimney sweeps are not trained or qualified to service gas hearth appliances. However, you may find one who is NFI Certified in Gas and possibly certified by a mfr. There are a growing number of service companies who specialize in gas hearth appliance service and would probably be your best choice.

Regardless, the appliance mfr. and model need to be determined to reference the correct manual in order to determine if the venting is correct. I am not familiar with this vent termination or model so I cannot comment on specifics as none of us should without further info.

Yes, referral to a qualified technician (which probably is not a chimney sweep).

Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Default Re: Improper Combistion?

Nice looking car in the drive next door.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images