Ryan Stouffer Guest

Default Air condition line

Hello everyone. Does anyone know if this is allowed or correct? The air compressor refrigeration line has been run along the roof/wall intersection of the home. I have never seen it installed this way. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Ryan

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Ryan Stouffer Guest

Default Re: Air condition line

Has anyone had a chance to take a look at this?

Thanks,

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stouffer View Post
    Has anyone had a chance to take a look at this?

Thanks,

Ryan
    I don't see a problem.
    * other than the screws through the shingles on the supports.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Seems tacky but no problem.

Around here when houses are retrofit with new line sets, they usually run the lines through a false downspout. Lines come out of attic wall and pass into a downspout. Downspout ends couple feet from the ground and the lines run horizontally to the exterior units.

People are used to seeing downspouts and don't notice that there are two downspouts at a corner. Affords some basic protection to the lines.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Ron Bibler Guest

You may want to call out the heat that can come off the shingle and damage the insulation around the lines. along with the screws in the shingles.

Any one have any temp that this insulation can be subject to?

Best

Ron

David Bell Guest

I find it hard to believe that this was the best way to run the lineset. Even if this was the only route they should at least have incorporated it in Slim Duct or another type of protective sleeve.

Ryan Stouffer Guest

Me too. I have never seen it done this way. I called it out.

David Bell Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    You may want to call out the heat that can come off the shingle and damage the insulation around the lines. along with the screws in the shingles.

Any one have any temp that this insulation can be subject to?

Best

Ron
    The armaflex insulation can handle the heat, but it does not stand up to UV rays well and tends to dry out and disintegrate over time. The manufacturer sells a UV resistant paint that can be applied to the armaflex on outdoor installations.

I've seen this type of install plenty of times. Ugly and not a great method but i haven't found a restriction for it.
    The screws into the roof are obviously an issue. Since the majority of the run is at an angle, not sure if it would qualify as needed a trap to prevent line suction.
    Think of it from the Homeowners perspective. They can have an ugly install on the back of the house, or pay a ton more money and have a huge mess to run the line throughout the interior walls and pop out the side. The interior work could run a grand or two.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"