Default Installation Issues on a 2 Month Old Roof

I inspected a home yesterday that had a reroof 2 months ago. Lifted three tabs, each at different areas of the roof, as they were not laying flat. (50 or more like this around the roof) Each had nailing defects (over driven - almost competely through, wrong placement, and at an angle - this is what was lifting the tabs).

Felt terrible for the homeowner who called me after the buyer's agent sent them the report. Really nice folks who wanted to do right by the buyer and who were shocked that the major write up in the report was their brand new $7k roof. They got the installing roofing company out there who after 10 minutes of "repairs" on the roof said they would give the buyer a 7 year transferable warranty on it. Unbelievable. So, I passed along 3 reputable roofing contacts and recommended they get a 2nd opinion on the repairs. Fortunately, they haven't made their final payment to the roofing company yet.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Installation Issues on a 2 Month Old Roof

That's fairly common. Not too many people go on the roof to verify what the roofer has done. Not like the common homeowner would know what they are looking at anyway.
    How many layers were present and how many does your Muni allow before tearoff? Usually good info for your client to have.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

LL: Of course you know, that by lifting the tabs, you are simultaneously complying with the TREC SOP and invalidating the home owner's shingle warranty?
    Aaron, will you point me towards the source of the voided warranty comment?

Thanks

Is this the definition of a paradox? I made sure my finger wasn't in the photo though. Those strong winds picked the shingle right up. Darned if you do and darned if don't.

Frank Suchodolski Guest

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    LL: Of course you know, that by lifting the tabs, you are simultaneously complying with the TREC SOP and invalidating the home owner's shingle warranty?
    I don't think that it would ever be an issue as shingle warranties only warranty the materials against manufacturers defects, not the installation. The nailing would would fail this roof before anyone would mention lifting a shingle. Most shingles will reseal on the first hot day. I deal with Manufacturers reps on a regular basis, it has never been a issue. As long as you take care not to damage the shingle.

Frank Suchodolski, RRO

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Leidlein View Post
    I inspected a home yesterday that had a reroof 2 months ago. Lifted three tabs, each at different areas of the roof, as they were not laying flat. (50 or more like this around the roof) Each had nailing defects (over driven - almost completely through, wrong placement, and at an angle - this is what was lifting the tabs).

Felt terrible for the homeowner who called me after the buyer's agent sent them the report. Really nice folks who wanted to do right by the buyer and who were shocked that the major write up in the report was their brand new $7k roof. They got the installing roofing company out there who after 10 minutes of "repairs" on the roof said they would give the buyer a 7 year transferable warranty on it. Unbelievable. So, I passed along 3 reputable roofing contacts and recommended they get a 2nd opinion on the repairs. Fortunately, they haven't made their final payment to the roofing company yet.
    Although it is "fairly common", that doesn't make it correct.
    See here:
    http://www.magnuminspections.com/Roof.htm

You can also click here: Roofing Links
    for installation instructions from several shingle manufacturers.

I spoke with a representative from GAF, and he said, at the time I spoke with him which was after Wilma, that he had 50,000 complaints about the same issues you reported.

I would have recommended replacement of the roof covering.

You may wonder how it passed the code inspection. Most likely, the inspector never went on the roof. Most here do not as it is "not required".

Eric Van De Ven Magnum Inspections Inc. (772) 214-9929
    www.magnuminspections.com
    I still get paid to be suspicious when I got nothing to be suspicious about!

Philip Guest

Cool Re: Installation Issues on a 2 Month Old Roof

There is gutter protection designed to go under the second course of shingle. I had letters from three major companies, GAF, Owens-Corning, and I forget the last one. They all stated that Gutter... installed this way does not void the warranty.

Philip Guest

And it looks like they pulled the paper from the shingle before installing.

Frank Suchodolski Guest

A.D. I'm not supposing, I have re-read the warranties and find no mention of this. Again, as I said, as long as you don't damage the shingles. Would doing a repair void the warranty? The nailing should be checked, by a qualified roof inspector (RRO) and it will not void any manufacturers Shingle warranty. Like I said on that particular roof that is the least of the owners worry. The nails must be installed below the tar line, flush, straight and a minimum of 3" away from a butt joint or Keyway, that roof is a prime example of how NOT to nail shingles.

Frank Suchodolski, RRO