Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Inspector Licensing

Inspectors located in states or municipalities that require home inspector licensing:

I have a Virginia Association of Real Estate Inspectors (VAREI) board meeting tomorrow at which I am supposed to present options for the association's stance on home inspector licensing in Virginia. The state has a voluntary certification program that, in general, would be great to carry through to formal licensing if and when that issue arises in the General Assembly. If it looks like licensing will become mandatory, we would prefer to have a program established by inspectors rather than the Virginia Association of Realtors (VAR).

The one thing going for us so far is that Virginia has a conservative state legislature. This year a bill was introduced to require licensing of anyone performing energy audits. The bill was killed in subcommittee because there was no information presented that showed that there was a need for licensing.

For the most part, I don't believe I have seen anyone in this group make positive statements about their existing licensing programs. Has licensing:
    Helped the consumer?
    Increased the quality of home inspectors?
    Increased the quality or quantity of inspections?

If you are required to use a standardized form or format, who do you believe is the most benefited, you, the client, or the Realtor?

If you could be the "Imperial Governor" for a day, and there had to be a licensing program in place, what would you add, delete, or modify in your current program?

If you have an opinion to express about home inspector licensing, please do so in response.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Default Re: Inspector Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    For the most part, I don't believe I have seen anyone in this group make positive statements about their existing licensing programs. Has licensing:
    Helped the consumer?

If you are required to use a standardized form or format, who do you believe is the most benefited, you, the client, or the Realtor?

If you have an opinion to express about home inspector licensing, please do so in response.
    North Carolina is a licensed state. Required to pass a written test only offered every 2 months. The test is not a national test. The bank of questions is rumored to only be about 400 and each applicant gets to see 200. The 400 questions are generally known by those who teach "Pass the Test" classes. Even so, the pass rate has stayed consistently at 50%. That includes candidates who take the test multiple times.

NC has several pre-requisites to become licensed besides passing the test. The most commonly used access method is to be come a licensed general contractor. To become a GC in NC, you take a test and pay a fee. No education, No experience, No continuing education. Once you are a licensed HI, you did not have to maintain the GC license. They changed the law last year and now if you use the GC option, you must maintain the GC licensed to maintain the HI license. Basically you pay a $75 a year fee to the GC board.

National associations carry very little clout in NC.

Does licensing raise the bar? At least half the people who think they could be inspectors fail the test multiple times and eventually give up. The total number of licensed inspectors was about 1400 two years ago. About 300 did not renew they license last Oct. As such they cannot legally inspect. So, by requiring people stay licensed during hard economic times, it thinned the field. In the capital city/area, there are roughly 400 licensed inspectors. That is in the second largest population center in the state.

There are standards regarding the report but not a standardized format. It must have a cover page, summary and body. The SOPs delineate what must be Inspected and what must be Described. The report must state those items inspected and must describe those items designate to be described. Nothing earth shattering and follows the ASHI SOPS basically verbatim. The summary section can ONLY contain Safety, Repair and Further Investigate items. Maintenance and Recommendations can NOT appear in the summary. It is generally agreed upon that the Summary section was driven by the members of the licensing board who are/were Realtors. Of course with proper word play, any item can be described as a Safety Item and be included in the Summary section.

Continuing Education was bumped from 12 hours to 16 hours last year. 4 hours of the 12/16 are state written mandatory classes. Classes have to be approved by the board and basically only allow classroom, no online or self-study.

Licensing defines how one becomes a home inspector. I found it relatively easy to become licensed. Licensing outlined the steps so I knew how to become one. I did have to jump through a few hoops to become licensed but not to the point that it would keep out bad inspectors.

Inspectors do get reported for violations and do get licenses revoked and suspended. So it does provide a very basic level of consumer protection.

Locally the biggest gripe is about the reporting. The licensing board basically can ding inspectors regarding the report but is not willing to answer questions ahead of time.

Last edited by Bruce Ramsey; 04-21-2010 at 08:59 AM.
    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Our mandated licensing went into effect in Sept 2009. The required exam is the NHIE and small separate section for State specific information. Required CEU's etc... I do know we went from having a bunch of inspectors to not nearly as much shortly after licensing went into effect. The requirements for licensing of newbies is fairly intense.

Here is some more information.

WA State Licensing: How to get a home inspector license

Rob Jones
    Washington State Licensed Home Inspector #256
    www.washingtonhomeinspector.biz

I can't wait for PA to have licensing.

Why?

Because I'm sick of explaining to people, realtors and clients alike, that no, I'm not licensed, because there is no licensing, but I do exceed the requirements of the state home inspection law, which consists of blah, blah blah...

It will be so much easier just to say "Yes".

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Helped the consumer?
    Helping the consumer: How would you go about measuring this?
    Increased the quality of home inspectors and inspections: Again, how would one go about measuring this?

By setting a bar or level of competency that a person must meet to obtain a license you are weeding out those who do not have the knowledge to perform an inspection to the adopted standards. Requiring the inspector to be financially able to take care of their screw-ups (GL and E&O). So, this would be helping the consumer.

I have worked under a license since 2001, I hold a license in MS and TN. Both states have similar requirements. In fact I could obtain a license in about 6 other states by simply applying as all have similar requirements.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Bob Spermo Guest

Stuart,

In Texas we are licensed and required to carry E & O insurance. You are required to either take 448 classroom/field exercise hours (some get credit for past work), pass a Texas exam (poorly written) and take continuing ed (alot of junk courses are permitted). The training requirement coupled with the license requirement probably keeps the number of inspectors down. The E & O requirement has "forced" many inspectors out of the business. My bottom line - I do not mind the training, licensing and E & O requirements but I do not think it guarantees a better inspector or guarantees a "better product" for the client. Because licensing does have some criteria I do think it is a little better than letting anyone just hang out a "shingle".

In Oregon we're licensed through our contractor's board for inspections and through the Dept. of Agriculture to do Pest/Dry Rot inspections. Overall, I'm happy with the way things are run. Of course, it's been this way since I've been doing this so I don't have a lot to compare it to.

There was quite a battle in the mid-90s when licensing came about. This was before I was doing inspections so I can't say firsthand.

The main thing I appreciate about our licensing is the dispute resolution process. We get free (included in our license fees anyway) mediation and arbitration. This really helps resolve most disputes without either side sinking a bunch of money into attorneys.

If I were setting up a licensing system the dispute resolution would be the #1 thing on my list to spell out. Anything you can do to keep it out of court is good IMO.

What about enforcement? What steps, if any, are taken to ensure that a licensed inspector is performing in accordance with the licensing regulations after one has obtained a license. What about a Jim-Bob who's inspecting without a license. Does someone have to file a complaint to the fact that he is practicing without a license? How difficult is the process?

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

What about enforcement? What steps, if any, are taken to ensure that a licensed inspector is performing in accordance with the licensing regulations after one has obtained a license. What about a Jim-Bob who's inspecting without a license. Does someone have to file a complaint to the fact that he is practicing without a license? How difficult is the process?

This is what's happening in AZ ... One of ole nickos elete has the honor of getting the highest fine to date.

http://www.btr.state.az.us/UserFiles...eb%202010).pdf

Anybody, [ the home seller, realtor, home buyer, or another inspector ] can file a complaint against us,

" What about a Jim-Bob who's inspecting without a license. Does someone have to file a complaint to the fact that he is practicing without a license? How difficult is the process"

The Jim-Bobs are getting big fines.. The BTR enforcement guy takes his job seriously, if they are not licensed they will pay.
    I'm not sure how these guys are getting discovered, I'm assuming home inspectors are doing a good job of policing and turning the un-licensed guys in.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

In NC anyone can file a complaint for any reason against an HI. The board first reviews the report. Then they send an inspector from the board to inspect the home for the problem. If during the inspection, they find additional issues, then they tack those on. Licenses can be suspended or revoked.

The board is allowed to request reports from inspectors for review. The board can suspend or revoke or make recommendations to the inspector to bring his reporting into line with the SOPs. So far, they have not performed any random audits in 10+ years.

The licensing board only can censor those that are licensed. If someone is inspecting without a license, is is a misdemeanor. The state AG has to go after them. So far the AG is "too busy" and not much is happening. The board has suggested if we find a rogue inspector to gather evidence and submit it to the AG. Evidence being multiple reports and inspections taking place. How likely is a licensed inspector going to get his hands on a report from an unlicensed inspector?

With the current budget crunch, there is talk about reducing the total number of licensing boards within the state. With only 1100 inspectors and the amount of fees they generate, the HI board is likely one to be merged with another board. The current guess is the appraisers board. Reportedly the Realtors don't want us. When and if that happens, then all manner of things are likely to change.

Last edited by Bruce Ramsey; 04-21-2010 at 08:57 AM.

Looking at those inspection discipline reports, you really have to wonder why anybody bothers to stay in the business, given that any of us would likely get dinged by significantly detailed re-inspection.

I just got an e-mail this evening from a client politely wondering why I didn't report the absence of the drain for a washing machine installed on the second floor of a 60-year-old property (as pointed out by by a buyer who viewed the property, which is now back on the market).

Going back and reviewing the report - which is only about three years old - I was struck by how much I've tightened up reporting from a liability standpoint in the meantime - for example there now 212 comments that I click through inserting those appropriate when starting a report, every one of which in whole or in part is dictated either by specific state reporting requirements and/or attempts to limit liability. (One of them covers the various situations in which there is no drain, in which I can't determine if there is a drain, in which the drain is incorrect or insufficient, etc. etc, carefully explaining the implications of each and recommending corrective action). As it stands all this stuff adds 8 to 10 pages to each report, but when I read those disciplinary findings I realize that every one is necessary, and I'm constantly adding more.

What a hassle....

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Looking at those inspection discipline reports, you really have to wonder why anybody bothers to stay in the business, given that any of us would likely get dinged by significantly detailed re-inspection.

What a hassle....
    It does keep on our toe's Once you make the move, it's tough to start something else.
    I suspect if the schools disclosed our liabilities there are many that would not get started.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    North Carolina is a licensed state. Required to pass a written test only offered every 2 months. The test is not a national test. The bank of questions is rumored to only be about 400 and each applicant gets to see 200. The 400 questions are generally known by those who teach "Pass the Test" classes. Even so, the pass rate has stayed consistently at 50%. That includes canidates who take the test mulitple times.

NC has several pre-requisites to become licensed besides passing the test. The most commonly used access method is to be come a licensed general contractor. To become a GC in NC, you take a test and pay a fee. No education, No experience, No continuning education. Once you are a licensed HI, you did not have to maintain the GC license. They changed the law last year and now if you use the GC option, you must maintain the GC licensed to maintain the HI license. Bascially you pay a $75 a year fee to the GC board.

National associations carry very little clout in NC.

Does licensing raise the bar? At least half the people who think they could be inspectors fail the test mulitple times and evenutally give up. The total number of licensed inspectors was about 1400 two years ago. About 300 did not renew they license last Oct. As such they cannot legally inspect. So, by requiring people stay licensed during hard econmic times, it thinned the field. In the capital city/area, there are roughly 400 licensed inspectors. That is in the second largest population center in the state.

There are standards regarding the report but not a standardized format. It must have a cover page, summary and body. The SOPs delinate what must be Inspected and what must be Described. The report must state those items inspected and must describe those items designate to be described. Nothing earth shattering and follows the ASHI SOPS basically verbatium. The summary section can ONLY contain Safety, Repair and Further Investigate items. Maintenance and Recommendations can NOT appear in the summary. It is generally agreed upon that the Summary section was driven by the members of the licensing board who are/were realtors. Of course with proper word play, any item can be described as a Safety Item and be included in the Summary section.

Continuing Education was bumped from 12 hours to 16 hours last year. 4 hours of the 12/16 are state written madatory classes. Classes have to be approved by the board and basically only allow classroom, no online or self-study.

Licensing defines how one becomes a home inspector. I found it relatively easy to become licensed. Licensing outlined the steps so I knew how to become one. I did have to jump through a few hoops to become licensed but not to the point that it would keep out bad inspectors.

Inspectors do get reported for violations and do get licenses revoked and suspended. So it does provide a very basic level of consumer protection.

Locally the biggest gripe is about the reporting. The licensing board basically can ding inspectors regarding the report but is not willing to answer questions aheard of time.
    That is an insane figure for failure and especially multiple times and then dropping out.

Ops...sorry...Carolina

Thanks Ted. I least I got more than half the words spelled correctly.

50% is a high failure rate. Without licensing, those potentials would be inspecting. Licensing helps to weed out the weakest early on. Once licensed, as long as no one lodges a complaint, you take the min required continuing education, and pay your fee, there is virtually no follow up.

Licensing does not solve all the industries problems but it does at least set a basic standard, even if it is low.

Inspectors located in states or municipalities that require home inspector licensing:

I have a Virginia Association of Real Estate Inspectors (VAREI) board meeting tomorrow at which I am supposed to present options for the association's stance on home inspector licensing in Virginia. The state has a voluntary certification program that, in general, would be great to carry through to formal licensing if and when that issue arises in the General Assembly. If it looks like licensing will become mandatory, we would prefer to have a program established by inspectors rather than the Virginia Association of Realtors (VAR).

The one thing going for us so far is that Virginia has a conservative state legislature. This year a bill was introduced to require licensing of anyone performing energy audits. The bill was killed in subcommittee because there was no information presented that showed that there was a need for licensing.

Helped the consumer?

If you could be the "Imperial Governor" for a day, and there had to be a licensing program in place, what would you add, delete, or modify in your current program?

50% is a high failure rate. Without licensing, those potentials would be inspecting. Licensing helps to weed out the weakest early on. Once licensed, as long as no one lodges a complaint, you take the min required continuing education, and pay your fee, there is virtually no follow up.

Licensing does not solve all the industries problems but it does at least set a basic standard, even if it is low.
    A high failure rate can mean several things. Everything from a poorly written exam; not enough education to poor education.

The NHIE currently has around a 64% pass ratio on a national average for first time takers, some states are higher and some lower. It all can be tracked back to the amount of education that is required.

The pass ratio jumps up to around 81% for second time takers.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

In reality there should be no policing so to speak with the exception of continuing ed and any possibly complaint filed. There is no reason for any State Licensing board to be up your backside for any reason other than the 2 mentioned. Anymore than that and it is harassment as far as I am concerned. If one is doing their job which means happy clients and no complaints and getting the continuing ed then leave it alone I say. I hate the fact that folks sit on the board and dream up ways to be an unnecessary pain in the ass figuring ways to have continued ongoing authority and company analysing.

I believe it is Arizona that does random checks on home inspection reports to see if you are dotting your I's and crossing your T's. Simply harassment.

There is always someone that wants to be the boss of you. There is always someone that feels the need to check up on someone else for the protection of the presious citizens that need no checking up on. Like I said. Happy clients, leave the inspectors alone. Unhappy inspectors or unhappy clients then check in on things and see what the problem is. Bureucrats is the name I am thinking of. Not busy enough do gooders that just want to screw things up by adding new ways of intervention

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post

I believe it is Arizona that does random checks on home inspection reports to see if you are dotting your I's and crossing your T's. Simply harassment.
    The only times that I am aware of AZ doing checks on an inspectors report is when a complaint is filed.
    The only other time may be if an already Lic. inspector provides a parallel inspection for a new inspector, signs the inspectors report off, and that new inspectors report does not close to meeting the standards.

www.inspectaz.com

Thanks for the response and comments. All have been insightful and helpful.

Stu, Fredericksburg VA

John Sullivan Guest

Wink Re: Inspector Licensing

Nevada requires a certificate or licensing. It helps some, but unfortunetly the laws are weak and don't prevent a few non licensed people from doing inspections. As in the rest of the country the money for programs has been cut. We are required to carry E&O and liability insurance which runs anywhere from $1800. and $5000 a year depending on who you insure with.
    The state requires at least 40 hours of initial education plus 25 ride alongs with a General or Master inspector. Then the continuing ed is 20 hours every two years with Law and Safety included. We don't have a standardized report (thank god ) but we do have Standards of Practice which are basically ASHI standards. We the inspectors put this program together in 1997 and we are under the Real Estate division. I personally am glad that we are licensed it does help to weed out some newbees who don't know ac from dc. but want to inspect peoples properties just for the buck. In my opinion licensing is as good as the people who try to keep the profession PROFESSIONAL.

James Duffin Guest

When I took the HI test in NC they offered a follow-up session with the people who failed the test so they could see what questions they missed. I passed but they only had a pass/fail rating so I didn't know what I had made on the test. I got my wife to call to see when the follow-up was so I could attend to see what I missed. My wife said when she called the lady on the phone laughed and told her that I had missed only two questions and they did not have room for me to attend since 70% of the people failed and wanted to attend. There was about 100 people taking the test that day. I think licensing is a good thing for any trade to make sure folks at least can meet a minimum requirement. The failure rate was about the same when I took the test for my electrical license.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    When I took the HI test in NC they offered a follow-up session with the people who failed the test so they could see what questions they missed. I passed but they only had a pass/fail rating so I didn't know what I had made on the test. I got my wife to call to see when the follow-up was so I could attend to see what I missed. My wife said when she called the lady on the phone laughed and told her that I had missed only two questions and they did not have room for me to attend since 70% of the people failed and wanted to attend. There was about 100 people taking the test that day. I think licensing is a good thing for any trade to make sure folks at least can meet a minimum requirement. The failure rate was about the same when I took the test for my electrical license.

70%.........Holy ****.

That is one insane percentage. I guess no one studied for the test because they thought...."Well, it's only a home inspection"

chris mcintyre Guest

The failure rate was about the same when I took the test for my electrical license.
    James,
    Are you a licensed electrical contractor in N.C.?

70%.........Holy ****.

That is one insane percentage. I guess no one studied for the test because they thought...."Well, it's only a home inspection"
    Ted,

Don't Believe Everything You Read.
    * it is James
    ** someone should let NC know they forgot to list His Stellar Accomplishments.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Ted Menelly Guest

Also.......100 people taking the test that day....and licensing is a good thing ! Imagine if they did not all brew their own shine and they all passed the test and unleashed themselves onto the public......and still making their own shine.

Look. I am not sure what breed of folks there are out there now adays but 50% failure.....70% failure......rates as hight eh second time around........

I don't get it. That means that no one looked at a book. Absolutely no one had an construction (involved) background. Everyone was seriously hung over. Most just had a frontal lobe operation. A good portion was there sisters and brothers brother and son

You folks just have to be making this stuff up. I can see having a bad day (i never failed a test on anything with the exception of once in my life on anything ever tested on and I enjoyed life a we bit, and I admittedly am not the sharpest knife in the knife holder). It is impossible for any population anywhere that actually took a class and read a book and reviewed their work in the slightest to have a 50 to 70 +% failure rate.

A little edit here....for Billy's sake

The test I failed was the test to see if I was still breathing

and I admittedly am not the sharpest knife in the knife holder)
    Say It's Not So !
    * I'm Glad You at least Passed One Test Ted. ( You are Still breathing? )

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 04-24-2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: edit for Ted
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

The NC HI test is only offered every two months. Prior to Oct 2008 when the bubble burst, normal attendance for a test was 90-100 candidates.

I have spoken with several of the people who offer pre-test classes and they have said that attendance is waaaay off. Only 28 people attempted the test last offering.

State laws were amended last fall changing prerequisites as well as adding E&O or a larger cash reserve and GL insurance. So even if the poorly prepared candidates are able to pass the test, it will cost more to open and maintain a business. Licensing is restricting the number of people entering the business.

That is good news for those still in the biz but is reducing the fees collected for testing and licensing. The licensing board is beginning to look at the numbers and they only have enough money to stay in business 2-3 more years at the current fee schedule. The Governor raised the annual fee $10. There is also talk about merging several licensing boards to reduce the total number of boards to reduce expenses.

Ted Menelly Guest

For those with no proven experience the admittance to home inspection should be apprenticeship. A full year. After the full year there should be a monitoring period by a full professional home inspector for six months. If any of this is interrupted it should be at least half the same period to make it back up. Don't finish a full year of apprentice and idol for a few months even if you finished nine months you should have to do another six months. That would cut the folks coming in to about a third than what it is right now.

How many of you would have had to done a full year of apprenticeship. And how many would have stuck with it that long.......I thpought so. The home inspection field would have been cut in a third. Think of the amount of work you folks would have.

That's right...a whole lot more money than you have now and steady work and steady pay.

Think about it folks. Especially those in states thinking of licensing. think of the work you would have....at least a third more if not more.

Actually NC just got rid of the apprenticeship program. Used to be 1 year AND 100 inspections. If you did not get the 100 inspection in the 1 year, you had to continue to apprentice until you completed 100 for fee inspections. Even if you completed 100 in less than a year, you still could not sit for the full license test until the year was up.

Problem was there was no definition of what an apprenticeship constituted. Basically it said the Mentor would monitor the apprentice and was the legal signer of the report. If the report was called into question, the Mentor was legally attached to the report and problems. On the apprentice application, they had to list the name and license number of their mentor. The state approved relationships where the two parties lived 2-3 hours apart. How much apprenticing was under the watchful eye of the mentor? The problem of an apprenticeship was not the concept but the actual implementation.

The other problem for many wannabe apprentices was finding a fully licensed inspector that wanted to train the competition. Business was good but not enough so that inspectors were lining up to take on apprentices. Apprentices also had to figure out a way to earn a living as an apprentice and still pay the Mentor.

The other drawback to the NC licensing program is apprenticeship was not the only method. Having an Architect, Engineering, or General Contractor license is considered sufficient prior knowledge. $350 for a GC "Pass the Test" course. $150 for the GC exam. $75 to get GC license. Next week apply to become a home inspector. No actual experience as a GC.

I apprenticed under the previous exec director of the licensing board. I learned quite a bit. An apprenticeship program would need to be more formalized as to what is taught, what is learned, and how that transfer is verified before I would be willing to say it is a valid training program.

Apprenticeship? Yeah right. I tried to get ASHI certified inspectors to do a parallel inspection. One wanted $450, another refused because he had a ride-along blow a sale for a Realtor who never gave him another referral. I never heard back from the others I contacted. So where are you supposed to apprentice? Is the state also going to require inspectors in accept apprentices?

Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Texas used to have only an apprenticeship requirement when I was licensed.

I thought it was a pretty good program. It is actually still in place as an option.

TREC - Inspector License Path: Three-Tier

They did away with the requirement (about '95) right after I started my apprenticeship.
    Had to to 25 inspections hands on with your sponsor and another or 175 under indirect supervision.
    I paid $25 per inspection for the privilege and drove 100 miles one way to find someone willing to sponsor me.
    I don't think it was meant to be a limiting factor but it was since it was hard to find a sponsor. This would likely not fly in today's world due to the E&O requirement and liability on the sponsoring inspector.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Stuart

I’m a fellow State Certified Home Inspector in Virginia and have been following the certification and/or licensing program for some time. The state is in the last phases of reviewing and/or modifying the certification program right now (as I’m sure you’re aware of). As you know in Virginia, real estate agents, contractors, appraisers, engineers and surveyors must be licensed. Everyone involved in the sale, designing or building of a home must be licensed, with the exception of home inspectors. I would like to see the current/updated certification program extended into a licensing program. To me, it just does not make sense to not have a licensing program in Virginia. As for an apprentice program, it seems to me this would only serve as a way to exclude newer licensed inspectors. In this business, where would an apprentice obtain any required ride along time or experience?

Jamie R Wilks
    Virginia Certified Home Inspector

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Texas used to have only an apprenticeship requirement when I was licensed.

I thought it was a pretty good program. It is actually still in place as an option.

TREC - Inspector License Path: Three-Tier

They did away with the requirement (about '95) right after I started my apprenticeship.
    Had to to 25 inspections hands on with your sponsor and another or 175 under indirect supervision.
    I paid $25 per inspection for the privilege and drove 100 miles one way to find someone willing to sponsor me.
    I don't think it was meant to be a limiting factor but it was since it was hard to find a sponsor. This would likely not fly in today's world due to the E&O requirement and liability on the sponsoring inspector.

Well....exactly so. It keeps the strong flow of inspectors into the system down so each existing inspector will keep more work. And as far as the folks coming in...there has to be enough work for the rest of the home inspectors to be able to hire on new guys.

Sounds like a plan to me. As far as the E&O and liability...no different than any other trade or profession hiring someone to grow their company.....but only if there is enough work. Little to no work, no new guys ever come on.

Again...sounds like a plan to me. No work, no new guys. If work pics up for a while and the new guy comes on then that work will have to hang in there long enough for him to get enough under his belt. If no then he picks up where he left off. If a long enough time period goes by then he must start over.

As far as sponsoring inspectors , it would be more like boss and employee...not sponsor. No problem with insurance. As far as traing the competition. Well that goes for any business that hires anyone.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

BTW (for the Texas HIs) ...

Appears that TREC will be setting for a new "lower" pass score for the Texas inspectors exam. (Could be considered a dumbing down of the testing process).

Primary reason (from what I've gleaned) is due to the fact the inspector schools have to maintain a certain count of graduates who pass the exam. This apparently isn't happening so they (TREC) figure that by lowering the "passing score" will have more folks passing and the "schools" can all keep their certifications to keep in business.

Ain't this a great society or what?

Don't take my word for it ... just keep your eyes on all the happenings at TREC. There is a lot going on these days.

Richard Stanley Guest

Now that TAREI and NACHI are married everything will surely be better! Imagine what the offspring will look like....Don't call me shirley!

Stuart,

Several years ago I saw an ASHI document that talked about best practices for HI licensing. It may be worth seeing if someone has a copy. As a member of the Washington Legislative Advisory Group. It was one of the documents we used as a starting point when crafting Washington's legislation.

In the years I have been in the industry I have seen the damage that the low barrier to entry has caused to the HI image. Everyone has a story about a bad inspection and even among the industry we have all seen the bad apples. How many of us have seen guys jump into the market with $199 inspections?

Organizations like Nickees that creates overnight certified inspectors and then for $375 they can become Master Certified HI just by making a declaration has accelerate the licensing efforts. Licensing good or bad helps level the playing field. Even better as seen in AZ licensing with some degree of enforcement keeps everyone on the straight and narrow.

One of the great things about the Washington Legislative Advisory Group was that it had representatives from all HI groups in it and we worked together to craft good legislation. If you can do that in VA. then you will be in good shape.

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bunzel View Post
    Stuart,
    Everyone has a story about a bad inspection and even among the industry we have all seen the bad apples. How many of us have seen guys jump into the market with $199 inspections?

//Rick
    Please explain how pricing has anything to do with the quality of the inspector.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

ken

you get what you pay for

charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Please explain how pricing has anything to do with the quality of the inspector.
    In my 16 years of experience of being a home inspector I have seen many low priced home inspectors come and go like the wind. As for their quality, the price does seem to reflect the quality of the inspection. The lower the cost the quicker the inspection. The less they charge the more they need to complete in order to make a living.

Inspectors with experience tend to charge more for their time and experience. Newer or less experianced inspectors tend to charge less just to get their name around and to keep the job numbers up.

Just some observations I have made over the years.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Sorry, but it's been my experience that the high priced inspectors are trying to make a living by doing one inspection a week and has nothing to do with their experience or knowledge.

Bob Garza Guest

I agree with Charlie and Scott.
    You get what you pay for.
    I don't see why anyone would want to do only one inspection a week.

KEN

sometimes you have good info--but your last reply was just crap. if i do a condo it's $200. if i ever do an inspection for $199. someone jam my taylor made golf driver up my you no what.

are you one of those discount desperate inspectors?? and if you answer with a no. then why the heck are you defending them. again wish i could compare my report with your's from and earlier thread and then you would see what and why a $199 report is plain crap and not a quality inspection.

get real ken

charlie

Sorry, but it's been my experience that the high priced inspectors are trying to make a living by doing one inspection a week and has nothing to do with their experience or knowledge.
    My experience has been that the majority of the lower priced folks fall in to the following categories:

1. They are part timers who work a full-time job and do inspections on their off days or weekends.

2. They are part-timers who have a good retirement from another profession and just want something to keep them busy. This group from my experience tends to be the handyman guy who just does not have the formal HI education and knowledge that is needed.

3. They are new and desperate and they are just trying to survive. This group from my experience tends to do the minimal type inspection and report.

4. They are working on the numbers; either for a franchise or a multi inspector firm who pays them by the job or on commission. They have to do 3+ inspections a day. This group from my experience tends to do the minimal type inspection and report.

5. They really do not have a clue as to what is cost to stay in business.

Being a part-time inspector does not mean that a person does not know what they are doing. Many of the part timers work a full time job with the intention of going full-time in the the home inspection profession. I kind of did this, but I worked a part time job (30 hours a week at nights and weekends) and did inspections during the day.

I had a prospective client call yesterday, and I did not get the job( I know the agent, he lives two doors down from me. He told me who got the inspection and for how much). It went to an inspector who is going to be driving 35 miles (one way) to do the home inspection. He was $75 less than my price on this 1,200sf home. I know the inspector, he did a ride-a-long with me last year. He has had his license for about six months. This guy is just trying to survive at any cost. He might do a good inspection, but he is just putting himself out of business with such a low fee.

I really do not worry about the low priced inspectors, they come and go like the wind. I have been at this gig for almost 16 years and I can't recall seeing any of the lowballers staying around for more than a year or two.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 04-29-2010 at 08:14 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    KEN

sometimes you have good info--but your last reply was just crap. if i do a condo it's $200. if i ever do an inspection for $199. someone jam my taylor made golf driver up my you no what.

are you one of those discount desperate inspectors?? and if you answer with a no. then why the heck are you defending them. again wish i could compare my report with your's from and earlier thread and then you would see what and why a $199 report is plain crap and not a quality inspection.

get real ken

charlie
    Charlie, It appears you've just proven my point. Our lowest price condo inspection is $230. $30 more than you. If we follow your logic all 4 of my inspectors perform a better inspection than you because we charge more. Is that factual? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    My experience has been that the majority of the lower priced folks fall in to the following categories:

1. They are part timers who work a full-time job and do inspections on their off days or weekends.

2. They are part-timers who have a good retirement from another profession and just want something to keep them busy. This group from my experience tends to be the handyman guy who just does not have the formal HI education and knowledge that is needed.

3. They are new and desperate and they are just trying to survive. This group from my experience tends to do the minimal type inspection and report.

4. They are working on the numbers; either for a franchise or a multi inspector firm who pays them by the job or on commission. They have to do 3+ inspections a day. This group from my experience tends to do the minimal type inspection and report.

5. They really do not have a clue as to what is cost to stay in business.

Scott, In those 5 areas you've covered 95% of all home inspectors in operation today.

Your answer to number 4 tells me you really have no clue about multi-inspector companies. Nobody makes me do 3 inspections a day. My schedule is my own, I set it. In fact, I'm only available to do two inspections a day. I can live quite well from 20 inspections per month. My inspections exceed ASHI standards and include CO testing of gas appliance with every inspection. My reports typically include at least 20 photographs and are computer generated. Not the handwritten checklist I've seen by multiple inspectors. We carry liability insurance and $2 million in E&O. Our insurance, inspections and inspection reports are better than most of the private inspectors operating today.

Scott, In those 5 areas you've covered 95% of all home inspectors in operation today.

Your answer to number 4 tells me you really have no clue about multi-inspector companies. Nobody makes me do 3 inspections a day. My schedule is my own, I set it. In fact, I'm only available to do two inspections a day. I can live quite well from 20 inspections per month. My inspections exceed ASHI standards and include CO testing of gas appliance with every inspection. My reports typically include at least 20 photographs and are computer generated. Not the handwritten checklist I've seen by multiple inspectors. We carry liability insurance and $2 million in E&O. Our insurance, inspections and inspection reports are better than most of the private inspectors operating today.
    Hi Ken,

I'm very familiar with BPG, from my research about them, from friends that work with them and also from them trying to get me to come and work for them. You don't have to sell me on them.... It is just not for me.... It is a neat company that has some good benifits. But ultimately if you are not turning out the production you will be looking for another job.

Ultimately price is the discerning factor of quality in service professions. It can be reflected in many facets of the business, from customer service, the product that it offered, the individual person to the longevity of the company.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

But ultimately if you are not turning out the production you will be looking for another job.

Scott, I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but it's incorrect. We do not have quotas and nobody looses there jobs for taking time off. That's one of the great things about working here. It's very similar to operating your own business. We do have a minimum requirement of 150 inspections per year to keep the health insurance benefits. We also pay bonuses for meeting certain income levels.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that an independent inspector is more likely to be looking for another job due to lack of production than one employed by us. On average our new hires do 20% more inspections after being employed by us than what they did previously on their own.

Scott, I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but it's incorrect. We do not have quotas and nobody looses there jobs for taking time off. That's one of the great things about working here. It's very similar to operating your own business. We do have a minimum requirement of 150 inspections per year to keep the health insurance benefits. We also pay bonuses for meeting certain income levels.
    Hey Ken, I never said any of those things about BPG, you are being too defensive.... But, many multi-inspector firms do have such requirements.
    In fact, I'd go as far as to say that an independent inspector is more likely to be looking for another job due to lack of production than one employed by us.
    I did not see that when I looked at going to BPG. But, I guess it is different in all areas of the country.

On average our new hires do 20% more inspections after being employed by us than what they did previously on their own.
    I wonder why that is? Is it related to market share or does price also factor into it?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Hi Ken,
    ....Snipped ....
    Ultimately price is the discerning factor of quality in service professions. It can be reflected in many facets of the business, from customer service, the product that it offered, the individual person to the longevity of the company.
    Scott , I have to agree in the most part. I will say this: Having been on both sides, employee and self-employed, it would be rare, very rare, to find an employee who puts as much care and effort into a business as the owner of one. We get to see the work of the employees who were sent out to install plumbing, wire a building, build the building, install a furnace, ..., etc. To many it's just a job. No big deal. Make the buck and move on.

Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Hey Ken, I never said any of those things about BPG, you are being too defensive.... But, many multi-inspector firms do have such requirements.
    But, you didn't exclude BPG either. I've worked for 3 multi-inspector firms and none of them had such requirements. How many have you worked for?

I wonder why that is? Is it related to market share or does price also factor into it?
    Market share has a little to do with it. Price doesn't factor in. We're pretty much in the middle with pricing. What factors in highly are our qualifications, marketing, and protection for our clients through our superior service guarantee, satisfaction guarantee and insurance.

As a sole proprietor my inspection fee is higher than some of the other seasoned inspectors in my area. Even association members undercut their own members. Low pricing contrary to the postulations being offered are questionable.

Show me where low pricing is a sign of inferior inspection. Nor do low fees necessarily equate with part timers, retired inspectors. There are also factors such as regional variances and market factors, overheads, et ceteras.

ken ken ken

all geo areas of the big USA HAVE DIFFERENT PRICE RANGES- my start in a condo is $200. why do you always have to do what you do. and think you are always right. again my report will smother yours.said it before,said it again, not a sample report the real mccoy

cvf

ken ken ken

all geo areas of the big USA HAVE DIFFERENT PRICE RANGES- my start in a condo is $200. why do you always have to do what you do. and think you are always right. again my report will smother yours.said it before,said it again, not a sample report the real mccoy

cvf
    Charlie, Charlie, Charlie

You can't have it both ways. You can't say "You get what you pay for" and the higher priced inspectors are better inspectors in one breath then claim you provide a better service than me when your prices are lower.

On another note, my sample report available for download is an actual report. Only the client's name and property address were removed. And as I've said before, put up or shut up. Email your report to me at krowe@bpgwi.com and I'll post it for everyone to see. Or better yet, post it yourself. Until you do, don't make claims you can't back up.

KEN

are you one of those discount desperate inspectors??
    Nope. But maybe you are since your prices are lower than mine?

and if you answer with a no. then why the heck are you defending them.
    I'm in no way defending anyone. I'm trying to get through to some of the people on here that price generally has nothing to do with the quality of the inspection or report.

again wish i could compare my report with your's from and earlier thread and then you would see what and why a $199 report is plain crap and not a quality inspection.
    Since you'd be comparing your report with my more expensive report then by your previous statements of "you get what you pay for" yours would be the "crap" report and not a "quality inspection"?

Do you get my point yet Charlie?

But, you didn't exclude BPG either. I've worked for 3 multi-inspector firms and none of them had such requirements. How many have you worked for?
    Ken, No, I did not exclude BPG. After talking with a few BPG employees during a visit in a Midwestern state I learned that they did not have the same business practices as you do and are claiming. One actually told me the he makes sure that "his" Realtors are happy. He gave me the impression that he was more concerned with who was feeding him the business than the client. A couple others chimed in and reinforced what he was saying. With so many locations and folks working for BPG you are going to have a few that might not have the same good business practices that you and the folks in your area do. This was one of the problems that US Inspect had.

BPG, as I said is a good company, they have a good product, they have good benifits, and they have some very good folks working for them. Don Norman is a personal and longtime friend who works with BPG out of St Louis and he is happy as a lark with them. He also owned an HI multi-inspector firm a few years back. It is just not for me at this time and stage of my carrier and life.

I have never had the need or really the desire to work for anyone after being in corporate America for 20 or so years. I opened my home inspection business in 1994 and went full-time in 1995, I have had folks working for me as employees in the past. I will not do it again. My own experience has shown me that employees for the most are really just working for a paycheck. On the surface they care about the company and clients but in all reality they are just hanging around for the paycheck.

As the owner I care, I mean I really care about my clients and the work I do for them. I just don't see the average employee doing this and this is why I don't want employees. When I'm booked I send callers to other inspector friends who I trust.

Market share has a little to do with it. Price doesn't factor in. We're pretty much in the middle with pricing. What factors in highly are our qualifications, marketing, and protection for our clients through our superior service guarantee, satisfaction guarantee and insurance.
    You just described my company. It is good to see that a multi-inspector company like BPG is making such and impact in the profession.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 04-30-2010 at 07:22 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Scott,

So you've never worked for a multi-inspector company and are only reporting hearsay from inspectors of BPG. My guess is they aren't in management for BPG as you didn't say they were.

You stated, "One actually told me the he makes sure that "his" Realtors are happy." This can be taken a couple ways. Did he actually say that he disregards issues with the homes he's inspecting? Did he actually say that he falsifies reports? If he did, please email me with their names. This would be a violation of not only our policy but most likely his state licensing and association bylaws.

On the other hand, I make sure my Realtors are happy also. I'm available 6 days a week. I'm available for same day inspections. My reports are available at the end of the inspection. I provide a thorough report with numerous photographs. My E&O covers the referring agent. Contrary to popular belief all Realtors are not evil. Some actually want the report to reflect the actual condition of the homes to protect themselves and their clients. Those are the agents I make sure are happy because I get a ton of referrals from them.

Scott,

So you've never worked for a multi-inspector company and are only reporting hearsay from inspectors of BPG. My guess is they aren't in management for BPG as you didn't say they were.
    Well, I did have 4 inspector employees for a few years (1998 to 2001). I owned the company..... Does that count?

No, they were not in management. I have always found that you can get a more realistic and honest picture of how things really are if you go to the workers.

Ken, most of us who have a successful home inspection business provide the same services as you are doing. We also care about our clients, just as you do. My E&O also covers agents in the same way. The differences when you get down to it are the individual inspectors, be that they are employees or solo inspector/owner. Hopefully all are working it the best interest of their client.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Well, I did have 4 inspector employees for a few years (1998 to 2001). I owned the company..... Does that count?
    Nope. Not even remotely the same.

No, they were not in management. I have always found that you can get a more realistic and honest picture of how things really are if you go to the workers.
    Really? Talk to the workers to see how the management is operated? Kind of like talking to a roofer to see how a foundation is built. I find it's better to go directly to the source.

Ken, most of us who have a successful home inspection business provide the same services as you are doing. We also care about our clients, just as you do. My E&O also covers agents in the same way. The differences when you get down to it are the individual inspectors, be that they are employees or solo inspector/owner. Hopefully all are working it the best interest of their client.
    Really Scott? Are you really saying that you offer the same services as we do?
    • $2 million in E&O?
    • Workers comp on yourself?
    • Superior service guarantee? If for any reason the client isn't satisfied they get their money back. And you as the inspector keep your pay?
    • 90 day inspection guarantee?
    • 12 months of online Extended Advise?
    • Do you offer sewer lateral scopes, certified radon testing, security system analysis?
    • CO testing of gas appliance at no additional charge?
    • Multiple inspectors so if you can't do the inspection the client doesn't have to call another company?
    That's only the tip of the iceberg and I'll bet you can't honestly say you do half of those listed. Not all successful home inspectors provide the same service. Just like not all good home inspectors charge more.

Ken
    Your comments about BPG, sound more every day like Lisa and iNACHI.
    Boastful, self serving, and just plain propaganda.

I'm not being disrespectful to you, I just wanted you to know how you are beginning to sound.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Ted Menelly Guest

Really? Talk to the workers to see how the management is operated? Kind of like talking to a roofer to see how a foundation is built. I find it's better to go directly to the source.

• $2 million in E&O?
    • Superior service guarantee? If for any reason the client isn't satisfied they get their money back. And you as the inspector keep your pay?
    • Do you offer sewer lateral scopes, certified radon testing, security system analysis?
    • Multiple inspectors so if you can't do the inspection the client doesn't have to call another company?
    That's only the tip of the iceberg and I'll bet you can't honestly say you do half of those listed. Not all successful home inspectors provide the same service. Just like not all good home inspectors charge more.
    2 million E&O...Why?

Guaranty

We all guaranty our work in a sense.

I do not guaranty anything. No need. That is fluff and smoke and mirrors. Guarantying what? f you miss something you fix it or you pay the inspection fee back or a max of 2 times. That is not a guaranty ! That is business. If you blow it , you pay for it. I do not put a limit on my liability. I know no one that does that....would you? I would say that is a better guaranty than yours.

Workers comp on yourself....Can't do that unless it is someone like you that is a manager for an area for someone else (employee).

Multiple inspectors.....If I get busy I know many very good professional inspectors that will step in and do the inspection. Being in the same company is not doing it yourself so there is no difference. Someone else is doing the inspection...with great qualifications.

Security, scope, radon?

I do not line up any security company with my client. There are dozens out there that the client can choose from. All are very competitive. All will do the small job. Besides....what is a security analysis anyway? Someone comes and checks out what is on the alarm system or even if the home has one and they price it out to add something they may wish to add (or get sold)

Not an analysis....just hype and fluff

Scopes? If there is a reason or someone wants it then they are going to pay you me or someone else. More hype and fluff. I could have someone there in a very short time to scope out the lines.

Radon?

Not necessary around here. If it was a need of a client I could have someone come in an hour..while I was still there to set it up but it is kind of anoying and very difficult to do when someone owns the home. Very tough to convince the sellers that you are leaving goodies behind...do not disturb them and then you will be invading their home at least one more time to pick up the equip.

So far...you are a home inspector that sells hype and fluff. I see no value added goodies there at all.

Now after all that is said and done. Nothing personal. Those are your business practices to fluff (my opinion) the clients. My job is to be as least intrusive to the sellers and do the best home inspection I can for my clients with out giving them a snow job.

Oh yeah

CO testing.....and. Doesn't everyone have a CO tester. Next question is....does everyone know the best way or practices to test.

Sorry Mike. I really do mean nothing personal but to me and the clients that call me it is all hype and fluff.

Nah, if you go to the guys that are doing the work you won't get as much fluff or a sales pitch.

• $2 million in E&O?
    About the only thing I do not offer is the 2M in E&O. Absolutely no reason to offer this amount, IMHO. And I do a bunch of litigation work, so I kind of know what I'm talking about. E&O is for the protection of the inspector or the company and that is all. With a large company like yours this is most likely why they have that amount.

For the workers comp, I'm exempt in TN and can not even purchase it. I must have 2 or more employees.

Actually, I do have a color sewer cam sitting in my storage unit. I use it about 6 times a year and it has more than paid for itself over the past 5 or so years I have had it. I bought it for a case that I was an EW on, we had to scope 27 new homes. A disgruntled plumber glued in sections of 2x4's into the main sewer lines of the homes, and they were all homes built on slabs. It was a big mess but the cam allowed us to find the blockages with ease. I do charge for the sewer cam as it is a specialized service.

Radon is a common test for me, I run 5 CRM's.

As for online advice. I take it even a step further and offer free lifetime phone, email and even a site visit if I'm in the area at no extra charge. I don't think many are doing this, even BPG. I have been doing this for 15 years and folks really do like it. The funny thing is that in all of this time I think I have only been asked to come out to a house 2-3 times...

Ken, as Rick said you are starting to sound like Lisa. Nobody is attacking you or your company, you are just taking it all to personal. You need to get out and meet and talk with other inspectors from around the country, you would be surprised at what other successful inspectors are doing.

This is about all I have to say on this. I doubt I will reply any more to this tread.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 04-30-2010 at 12:51 PM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Rick, Ted, and Scott;

It isn't my intention to be promoting our company in this thread. I simply listed what we offer as part of our service so other inspectors could compare it to what they offer. It was not meant to say, "We're better than you" or "You're better than us". I was using my knowledge and experience to prove a couple points. The first one being that a high priced inspection doesn't mean the inspection will be better than a low priced inspection, as Charlie claims.

The second is that not all successful home inspection businesses provide the same service, as Scott claims. I believe I've proven both points.

Again I apologize if you think this is a promotion for the company I work for. But since I have only worked for multi-inspector firms I can only relate the experience I know. I will never claim to be knowledgeable about operating as an independent inspector since I've never done it. But, others shouldn't claim to know how a multi-inspector national company is operated when they have no first hand knowledge.

Last edited by Ken Rowe; 04-30-2010 at 05:30 PM.

KEN

wow--you have a lot of foul wind and time on your hands.when do you find time to do all these inspections you say you do, when you are the news all the time. i see 7 hours between all your air filled posts. is that when you do your many inspections and complete your reports. or are you the BOSS.
    why can't you just post something that is informant and not how &*^%^$# good you think you are.

all your threads go on forever and ever-- read the replys. you are the only one who believes your the inspector god.

the fact is if you are doing a 2500 sqft home and get the call that your $310 price {which is a great price in colorado} has been out bid by someone who will do it for $199. that inspector is DESPERATE no if and or buts about it. and you can bet if he is doing a report that i do. he is working for nothing but a peanut butter sandwich. and most times the realtor will call me and email me the six page, no photo hand written report he gave client. and tell me never again.

like i said all states have different price ranges and if i charged $230 for a 900 sqft condo out here. i wouldn't get the call again.

get real KEN and stop battling everyone on this great forum.

i do one and only one inspection a day, because i am semi retired. but with the april deadline approaching i have had to do more then that. 24 inspections a month for me is too many--and you know what i make $9500 a month. own my company--one inspector ME. AND I STILL FIND TIME TO PLAY GOLF OR RIDE MY BIKE OR SKI EVERYDAY. do the math avg 22 inspections a month.

2 MILLION E&O. why would you have that if you are not inspecting 2 million dollar homes everyday

sewer scope. recommend the master of the trade not a home inspector who thinks he knows

radon. we all do that

and your other claims to fame. get real KEN

and your report. it's alright, but no where near the info i give my client. WHY because i go home and spend time completing it

KEN stop rocking the boat you offer some good info sometimes, but most of the time get off on how wonderful you are. if you don't believe me, read the above posts from others.

i'm done with you on this post.ignore is next if i continue to hear your trumpet blowing

cvf

Wow Charlie. I didn't realize you thought I was so great. An inspector God by your words. Thank you. The praises you sing must be your words because I've never said them.

It's funny how you change your tune from "You get what you pay for" to "all states have different price ranges and if i charged $230 for a 900 sqft condo out here. i wouldn't get the call again", but only after I called you out on it. Then you come back berating me, but never admitting I war right all along. Tells me lots about you as a person.

Thumbs down Re: Inspector Licensing

ken
    you couldn't shine my shoes. you are a screwed up person a trumpet playing man who plays out of tune.. your logic is up your behind and i am proud to say i have now put your posts on ignore.

spend less time bloeing your out of tune horn and go read all your how great you are threads. and try and do an inspection some time.

i never get this riled, but you are a BLOW HARD AND YOUR BREATHE STINKS

i'm done with you. send all replys to those who care
    please someone tell me how to ignore this trumpet playing blow hard from recieving his replies PLEASE

cvf

ken
    i am proud to say i have now put your posts on ignore.

please someone tell me how to ignore this trumpet playing blow hard from recieving his replies PLEASE

cvf
    I guess it's the kind of guy you are. Say one thing then admit you have no clue what you're talking about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast