Default Are exterior hose bibs required by code?

Very expensive home in a very expensive subdivision......there are no exterior hose bibs!!!

I can't find anything in the IRC (2006) that requires them. Does anyone know if there is a requirement?

Once again, thanks in advance (Jerry)

Bruce

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Default Re: Are exterior hose bibs required by code?

yes, two are required.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

You don't happen to have chapter reference, do you? I had thought there was a requirement for two, but couldn't find it.

Sorry JB, I looked and could not find it.
    But 2 is what I always thought it was.
    Does that help?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by JB Thompson View Post

thought there was a requirement for two, but couldn't find it.
    Nope.
    you would think so But.
    ** code don't cover " Stupid."

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I decided I had been thinking about electrical outlets (one in the back; one in the front).

You're right. There should be a code for that!

Bruce,

When ... yes, "when" ... when hose bibbs are installed, they must meet certain requirements.

Their installation, however, is not required. Years ago in some code there was at least one required and some required at least two, but that was dropped with the ICC codes.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

That sounds crazy. Was it on a well? Maybe there was a spigot out in the yard. Maybe the house was so fancy, they had hidden compartments for the bibs that blended in with the exterior of the home

If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Bombardiere View Post
    That sounds crazy. Was it on a well? Maybe there was a spigot out in the yard. Maybe the house was so fancy, they had hidden compartments for the bibs that blended in with the exterior of the home
    It was on city water; no spigot in the yard...however, I didn't think about the secret compartments.

Let's put it this way...."An expensive home with an expensive address does not a quality home make."

BT

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by JB Thompson View Post
    Very expensive home in a very expensive subdivision......there are no exterior hose bibs!!!

I can't find anything in the IRC (2006) that requires them. Does anyone know if there is a requirement?

Once again, thanks in advance (Jerry)

Bruce
    Tyler has a newer UDC (Unified Development Code) which does require a minimum of a single hose bib to serve unirrigated landscape left "in a natural state" according to the City's Web Site. There may be other requirements in areas outside the plumbing chapters of the unammended 06 IRC.

See the "Landscaping and Screening" heading, number 8 in the article link for the City of Tyler, Texas "City Council Approves New Unified Development Code" dated April 23, 2008 here: Home
    You might also check the prior requirements for the earlier minimum 10% landscaping requirement.

Foundation type, soil type, presence of a foundation watering system may also affect other requirements, recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Tyler has a newer UDC (Unified Development Code) which does require a minimum of a single hose bib to serve unirrigated landscape left "in a natural state" according to the City's Web Site. There may be other requirements in areas outside the plumbing chapters of the unammended 06 IRC.

See the "Landscaping and Screening" heading, number 8 in the article link for the City of Tyler, Texas "City Council Approves New Unified Development Code" dated April 23, 2008 here: Home
    You might also check the prior requirements for the earlier minimum 10% landscaping requirement.

Foundation type, soil type, presence of a foundation watering system may also affect other requirements, recommendations.
    Yeah, I knew that since it had a sprinkler system, the builder was thinking, "Hey we don't have to have a bib." I'm thinking it never hurts to have a wash down hose or something for your car -- or heck to connect to the kid's Slip-N-Slide. But what do I know, I'm just the inspector.

The house was completed in 2009.

On a side note, I inspected another of this builder's homes (also completed in 2009) in this same subdivision (5300 sf). It had 3 hose bibs.

Personally, I think they forgot on this one.