Robert Kramer Guest

Default Water heater electric connection

Any input on this electrical connection? Obviously the Romex is extended directly through the wall with flex conduit stretching from the wall to the unit. The Romex has been secured to the framing. I have discussed the obvious that it will continue to damage the wall and is not professional, but is there anything that says it has to be installed differently. I can not find anything in the books and the city inspector's secretary said it isn't a problem (I know, I know! She answered the phone said she might be able to help). I see this in older retrofits but this is a brand new, never lived in yet, house. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Except about the secretary, I'm sure the cup runneth over with comments about that. Thanks for the help.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Water heater electric connection

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kramer View Post
    Any input on this electrical connection? Obviously the Romex is extended directly through the wall with flex conduit stretching from the wall to the unit. The Romex has been secured to the framing. I have discussed the obvious that it will continue to damage the wall and is not professional, but is there anything that says it has to be installed differently. I can not find anything in the books and the city inspector's secretary said it isn't a problem (I know, I know! She answered the phone said she might be able to help). I see this in older retrofits but this is a brand new, never lived in yet, house. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Except about the secretary, I'm sure the cup runneth over with comments about that. Thanks for the help.

Unless the panel is in that room as well there is suppose to be a disconnect so that would take care of getting the wire changed out. Mount a disconnect and then mount the new BX to it and to the water heater .

Robert Kramer Guest

Sorry, I did not include that bit of info. The main panel is in the same room.

David Bell Guest

The greenfield can't be properly installed without a junction box as shown. Even if there is no splice there has to be a box to incorporate the change of wiring type.

You are allowed to use raceways for protection from physical damage without being required to go from box-to-box, but the raceway would need to be supported and secured at or near the ends to be allowed.

By the way flexible metal conduit (FMC) is not approved for protection from physical damage, it too is not allowed where subject to physical damage.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

You haven't told us where you are, somewhere in North America? I persued that same question recently. The authorities in my area allow the flex to come out of the drywall with just a staple in the stud near where the flex begins, to hold it in place.
    Now that Numnuts has pulled the free end out of the wall, it needs a repair. At least, it would if that was here.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca