Thread: Sagging paint

Default Sagging paint

Here's a condition I have not seen before. A friend sent this to me so I have not actually been to the house. He said the paint was hard and plastic like.
    Has anyone seen this or have any idea what could cause the condition?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Greg Jenkins

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: Sagging paint

Greg, that is due to a leak from the area above (plumbing leak or exterior water intrusion). Water gets inside the wall and the paint and bubbles the paint off the wall. When you see this condition, call it as evidence of a leak and check it for activity with a moisture meter.

That was my initial thought but again, I have not been to the house. What was puzzling was that he said the paint was real hard. Generally, when I see paint damaged by water, the paint is soft and there are stains present. He has hired me to inspect the house so I will be out there next week.

Greg Jenkins

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

If the wrinkled area is hard Greg, it may just be an old dormant leak that was just allowed to dry out on it's own and then repainted.

Richard Rushing Guest

Yep... that's from water matriculating/ progressing down the wall-- after the application.

Rich

Thanks for the input; I will be checking for leaks.

Greg Jenkins

Chris McMahon Guest

Hi Greg,

I realise that this was a LONNNNNG time ago but i'm curious as to the results of your investigation. Did it turn out to be an existing or historic escape of water which caused the sagging?

Best Regards,

Chris McMahon

Robert Schenck Guest

Although it’s more than likely a water leak, I wouldn’t rule out the fact it may have been a bad paint job. I remember my first few years in the Navy when I was in the Deck Department. I was on a painting detail where we would spray paint bulkheads. If we over sprayed it and/or if there was some form of dirt (oils) on the bulkheads (walls), the paint would run and wrinkle …. Just as you see in Greg’s picture. It’s unlikely they spray painted this wall and just rolled it out. Please update us Greg when you get a chance – let us know what you found ?

Heck - I just realized this was originally posted back in July 2007. Greg - Are you still with us ? lol