Thread: sediment trap

RonaldD Guest

Default sediment trap

Lately I have been researching sediment traps a little and have been left undecided. Every code book and manufactures examples I have seen show the gas supply entering the tee from the top. see picture example 1. What if the gas supply enters from the side? see picture example 2. Is example 2 a correctly designed sediment trap? I am dealing with the California Plumbing Code here, which only says they are required. (minus ovens, ranges, dryers, etc) I have heard in the past that so long as the gas makes a 90 degree turn and the leg is down it is correct. What do you think?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: sediment trap

Quote Originally Posted by RonaldD View Post
    Lately I have been researching sediment traps a little and have been left undecided. Every code book and manufactures examples I have seen show the gas supply entering the tee from the top. see picture example 1. What if the gas supply enters from the side? see picture example 2. Is example 2 a correctly designed sediment trap? I am dealing with the California Plumbing Code here, which only says they are required. (minus ovens, ranges, dryers, etc) I have heard in the past that so long as the gas makes a 90 degree turn and the leg is down it is correct. What do you think?
    Looks Good to Me.
    But How Long is that flex connector?

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Both ways will work and correct.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

RonaldD Guest

The pictures I posted are just examples I found online. The actual installation that I am questioning is similar, with a 24" flex line supplying a tankless water.

Plumber must have the shakes when applying the pipe dope

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Saville View Post
    Plumber must have the shakes when applying the pipe dope
    Or it was 140 in the Attic ( sweat stings them eyes. )

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by RonaldD View Post
    Lately I have been researching sediment traps a little and have been left undecided. Every code book and manufactures examples I have seen show the gas supply entering the tee from the top. see picture example 1. What if the gas supply enters from the side?
    Well, just saw this "solution"...

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

James Duffin Guest

Wow....is that thing actually functional?

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

No it is not correct. Horizontal from sed trap no vertical change in direction permitted.

The flexible gas appliance connector may not be positioned in that way and route in lieu of permanent and correct gas plumbing system.

The route of the piping and connection from the connection point of the appliance connector is going up and coming back down. There should be no change in direction up and then returning vertically down, This routing requires re-configuration of the supply/permanent piping and trap, so as to collect condensate and particulate prior to the connection of the appliance connector routed in a horizontal position, as pictured will allow collection of condensation and sed in the appliance connector itself, or allow same to "blow through" or fall/settle in the appliance side of the connector, and to the gas control valve device - defeating the purpose of the required sed trap in the first place (esp. in unconditioned, uninsulated attic space!

The flexible gas appliance connector is too close to the roofing deck and subject to damage from roof deck penetrations (nails present or future).

The flexible gas appliance connector is too long.

The riser is not supported, neither the change in direction. The service valve is inappropriately located and oriented in relation to the riser, sed trap and change in direction, so as to foul from condensate and sediment should it be off or drop in ambient temperature (condensation water vapor content of entrained air to the supply). Materials questionable within the incorrect configuration. Questionable proximity to what appears to be metal (sharp) strapping, and apparent single wall vent.

The photographed installation is not correct.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 09-03-2010 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    Wow....is that thing actually functional?

I found that yesterday while up in the attic for moisture intrusion inspection (I was evaluating the new roof), and that installation is part of a partially completed and un-permitted gut rehab of a two story house in Chicago.

The entire job is a heart attack, EVERYTHING is done to about that standard of work, and though I was not there to inspect anything but the roof, I observed literally dozens of serious and potentially hazardous conditions - the quality of work at this project is almost beyond beyond belief, the General must have been SOME kind of genius to have identified and hired the most incompetent sub in every trade in the Chicago area, gathered then all in one place, and turned them all loose at the same time.

I got a bit of the back story while I was there: young couple hired the general, who told them he would obtain the permits. After a few weeks they realized that things were very wrong, and stopped the work. Turns out the general was lying about everything including his background, and that his "experience" consisted primary in having operated an exterminating company.

As for the roofing sub, turns out that he was unlicensed / uninsured as well, and for example had installed NO flashing at the dormer wall to roof junctions, completely screwed up the valleys, etc. etc.

It would be pretty tough to say what was the absolute stupidest thing done at this property, but probably the piece de resistance was at attempt to repair the extensive fire damage in the attic (the roof surface is dished down from eave to peak at one end) by running struts down diagonally from the rafters to the center of the attic... below which there is no support.

I suggested that the current owners contact Markus Keller (because as an ex city inspector he's intimately familiar with Chicago requirements, and the contractor for example duplexd down into the basement and there lots of associated issuers, starting with a non-compliant stairway) to go through both these structures in detail.

If they do, perhaps he will post some additional pictures and comments - it will only take a few hundred to document the problems at this job.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 09-05-2010 at 04:43 AM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com