Megan Ayala Guest

Default Indoor Gas Meter in Child's Bedroom

I'm not an inspector, just a tenant between a rock and a hard place. We're renting from my mother in law, and we can't afford to move elsewhere.

Our living situation is considered illegal in the City of Chicago because we only have one exit, but please bear with me.

There are two gas meters in my 2yo daughter's room. This room has no windows. It's about 6'x6'.

They recently came and replaced them. Here is a photo if you need reference... I really appreciate this!

-Megan

Edited to add: sory for posting without clarification- I was wondering if this was safe or not. Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Megan Ayala; 04-24-2010 at 01:01 PM.
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Indoor Gas Meter in Child's Bedroom

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Ayala View Post
    I'm not an inspector, just a tenant between a rock and a hard place. We're renting from my mother in law, and we can't afford to move elsewhere.

Our living situation is considered illegal in the City of Chicago because we only have one exit, but please bear with me.

There are two gas meters in my 2yo daughter's room. This room has no windows. It's about 6'x6'.

They recently came and replaced them. Here is a photo if you need reference... I really appreciate this!

-Megan
    So, what are you asking. You already say its illegal??

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Megan Ayala Guest

Sorry for posting without clarification-I'm asking if it is safe to have two gas meters in a small child's bedroom with no windows.

The fact that your daughter's room has no windows is dangerous and illegal without the gas meters.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Sorry for posting without clarification-I'm asking if it is safe to have two gas meters in a small child's bedroom with no windows.
    Nobody would be able to get to your child in that room in the even of a fire in the house. Safety hazard. Your child would be trapped and would burn to death. Sorry to be graphic but that's the reality of the situation.

Gas meters in room where child sleeps? No no no no no no. Even prison inmates get to sleep in rooms with better conditions.

Megan Ayala Guest

Thank you so much. Why I am sometimes oblivious to the obvious I don't know... but she is already out of that room, my husband is going to use it as his computer room instead. Again, thank you all.

Zibby Bujno Guest

Angry Re: Indoor Gas Meter in Child's Bedroom

Thank you so much. Why I am sometimes oblivious to the obvious I don't know... but she is already out of that room, my husband is going to use it as his computer room instead. Again, thank you all.
    did someone tell you it is a utility room only? not a bedroom or computer room. Please find apartment and do not live in basement.

The fact that you are stating that the room is illegal implies you know more than you are letting on. Maybe the Peoples Gas guys said something or maybe your landlord has gotten nailed for the illegal basement conversion before.
    From what you have said, that room is not considered a legal bedroom in the City. For the reasons others have mentioned, it isn't safe to use that room as a bedroom for anyone regardless of age.
    As far as the gas meters they don't generally increase the threat level. Peoples Gas is very good about checking their work to make sure there aren't any leaks. If they had noticed any leaks during the meter replacement they generally will fix them if a nearby joint or lock-off the meters until you have someone come out and fix the leak.
    I'm surprised they rehung them on the inside at all. Typically if new meters are needed, PG wants to put them outside. Their working goal is to eventually have all gas meters outside.
    If you have any other local questions, feel free to email or call me.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

We're renting from my mother in law, and we can't afford to move elsewhere.
    If circumstances are such you must live in this basement:

1) Make sure there is a OPERABLE smoke alarm in each room serving as a bedroom and isolated from other sleeping areas, one near (but not directly above) the furnace/boiler/water-heater if present in the basement, and at the outside the door of any interior stairway to the floor above - if there is a fire in a bedroom or along emergency exit paths, you want to be alerted to its presence as early as possible.

2) Hopefully, there is a door leading directly from the basement to the exterior. If so make sure that it is unobstructed by debris or personal possessions on both sides.

3) If there are locks on either or both doors, make sure that the lock(s) are readily operable, and that if a key is required to operate it the lock it is readily available.

4) Make sure these is an OPERABLE carbon-monoxide detector in the apartment.

5) If a gas furnace/boiler/water heater in the basment was not serviced last year, have it inspected and serviced as required prior to the heating season.

None of this makes living an a "illegal basement apartment" a good idea - it's a BAD idea, and I'm NOT advising you do so, or suggesting that the above will make it safe for your family to do so.

But at least these are some steps you can take to somewhat improve your chances if there IS a fire. or a malfunctioning appliance or chimney.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com